Click Here to Visit Our Facebook Page

email: icehockeydboard@yahoo.com

Junior & College Hockey
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Thoughts on this post -

It is not a job. It is a game. Please have fun with it while you still can.

anon
It is not a job. It is a game. Please have fun with it while you still can.
So, when, in your mind, does it become a job? NHL? AHL? ECHL? NCAA? Tier I? Tier II? Tier III?

I know things are tough over at Boston sand and Gravel on a hot day, but it is possible to love something, even if it is hard work. Playing junior and college hockey is hard work.

Its a job when you get paid to do it.
Its a GREAT job when you get paid AND love to do it.
So I guess you could argue that playing for free in Juniors/College qualifies...

D-I scholarship players are in essence (well some of them) getting paid. Sonny up at Southern New Hampshire U is still playing for the love of the game. Playing Juniors is either for the love of the game or the hope you'll someday get paid. . . and oh, the love of the game.

anon
D-I scholarship players are in essence (well some of them) getting paid. Sonny up at Southern New Hampshire U is still playing for the love of the game. Playing Juniors is either for the love of the game or the hope you'll someday get paid. . . and oh, the love of the game.
A job isn't isn't defined by pay. It's more accurately defined by the tasks.

My wife is a volunteer executive for a charitable organization. She attends on-site meetings on a very regular basis, answers emails and has business calls seven days a week. She puts in a good 40 hours a week. That isn't a "job?"

CHL players are professionals under law. What is the difference in the daily hockey schedule of a CHL player, a D-I NCAA player, and a Tier I Junior player?

The toughest "job" of all of those is the D-I student athletes. They are "amateurs" but they put in 40 hours a week in season AND have to carry a full course load. D-III student athletes put in less time, but not that much less, and of course still have to attend classes. And those schools don't tend to have basket-weaving.

If your kid is playing junior or college hockey and is approaching it as "fun" he won't last.

I'd say IM is spot on. Not sure what the fuss is about here.

Anon
I'd say IM is spot on. Not sure what the fuss is about here.
People don't read, or in this case listen. They hear one sound bite and react. Especially on Twitter. But, also on CNN, Fox News, etc.