Click Here For The DBoard Store!!!

Click Here to Visit Our Facebook Page

email: icehockeydboard@yahoo.com

Junior & College Hockey
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
What was your recruiting process like?

Can anyone explain what their kids recruiting process was like in the past 4 years? Did you use an Adviser? It seems so overwhelming right now and we don't want to miss anything. He has received emails from coaches asking for his schedule, some asking more involved questions and asking for him to visit the school. He is only 17 so we dont want to make a knee jerk reaction but also dont want to miss an opportunity.

Re: What was your recruiting process like?

anon
Can anyone explain what their kids recruiting process was like in the past 4 years? Did you use an Adviser? It seems so overwhelming right now and we don't want to miss anything. He has received emails from coaches asking for his schedule, some asking more involved questions and asking for him to visit the school. He is only 17 so we dont want to make a knee jerk reaction but also dont want to miss an opportunity.
If your getting emails from D1 coach's that are specifically asking your son for a visit, I would suspect he would already have an advisor who has offered his services for free.

Anon
anon
Can anyone explain what their kids recruiting process was like in the past 4 years? Did you use an Adviser? It seems so overwhelming right now and we don\'t want to miss anything. He has received emails from coaches asking for his schedule, some asking more involved questions and asking for him to visit the school. He is only 17 so we dont want to make a knee jerk reaction but also dont want to miss an opportunity.
If your getting emails from D1 coach's that are specifically asking your son for a visit, I would suspect he would already have an advisor who has offered his services for free.
And if he doesn't already have an advisor who has offered his services for free, he is looking at 1 year minimum, probably 2 years and possibly 3 years of junior after HS and before college anyway. During which, what is probably now the majority of kids change their choice of school anyway - by their choice or by the program's.

so, committing while in HS, while good for the ego, actually can hurt your kid, since that means other schools that may represent better educational or hockey choices aren't as likely to look at him.

IMO, and I'd be interested to hear the opinions of others, your focus should be on increasing his visibility to Tier I/II/Junior A junior programs, not colleges.

Anon
Anon
anon
Can anyone explain what their kids recruiting process was like in the past 4 years? Did you use an Adviser? It seems so overwhelming right now and we don\\\'t want to miss anything. He has received emails from coaches asking for his schedule, some asking more involved questions and asking for him to visit the school. He is only 17 so we dont want to make a knee jerk reaction but also dont want to miss an opportunity.
If your getting emails from D1 coach\'s that are specifically asking your son for a visit, I would suspect he would already have an advisor who has offered his services for free.
And if he doesn't already have an advisor who has offered his services for free, he is looking at 1 year minimum, probably 2 years and possibly 3 years of junior after HS and before college anyway. During which, what is probably now the majority of kids change their choice of school anyway - by their choice or by the program's.

so, committing while in HS, while good for the ego, actually can hurt your kid, since that means other schools that may represent better educational or hockey choices aren't as likely to look at him.

IMO, and I'd be interested to hear the opinions of others, your focus should be on increasing his visibility to Tier I/II/Junior A junior programs, not colleges.
All because your kid is looking at aging out to play D3, doesn't mean this kid will have to.

Anon
Anon
Anon
anon
Can anyone explain what their kids recruiting process was like in the past 4 years? Did you use an Adviser? It seems so overwhelming right now and we don\\\\\\\'t want to miss anything. He has received emails from coaches asking for his schedule, some asking more involved questions and asking for him to visit the school. He is only 17 so we dont want to make a knee jerk reaction but also dont want to miss an opportunity.
If your getting emails from D1 coach\\\'s that are specifically asking your son for a visit, I would suspect he would already have an advisor who has offered his services for free.
And if he doesn\'t already have an advisor who has offered his services for free, he is looking at 1 year minimum, probably 2 years and possibly 3 years of junior after HS and before college anyway. During which, what is probably now the majority of kids change their choice of school anyway - by their choice or by the program\'s.

so, committing while in HS, while good for the ego, actually can hurt your kid, since that means other schools that may represent better educational or hockey choices aren\'t as likely to look at him.

IMO, and I\'d be interested to hear the opinions of others, your focus should be on increasing his visibility to Tier I/II/Junior A junior programs, not colleges.
All because your kid is looking at aging out to play D3, doesn't mean this kid will have to.
Pointless and unprovoked, but given the fact you need tweezers to use a urinal, understandable.

Anon
Anon
Anon
Anon
anon
Can anyone explain what their kids recruiting process was like in the past 4 years? Did you use an Adviser? It seems so overwhelming right now and we don\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\'t want to miss anything. He has received emails from coaches asking for his schedule, some asking more involved questions and asking for him to visit the school. He is only 17 so we dont want to make a knee jerk reaction but also dont want to miss an opportunity.
If your getting emails from D1 coach\\\\\\\'s that are specifically asking your son for a visit, I would suspect he would already have an advisor who has offered his services for free.
And if he doesn\\\'t already have an advisor who has offered his services for free, he is looking at 1 year minimum, probably 2 years and possibly 3 years of junior after HS and before college anyway. During which, what is probably now the majority of kids change their choice of school anyway - by their choice or by the program\\\'s.

so, committing while in HS, while good for the ego, actually can hurt your kid, since that means other schools that may represent better educational or hockey choices aren\\\'t as likely to look at him.

IMO, and I\\\'d be interested to hear the opinions of others, your focus should be on increasing his visibility to Tier I/II/Junior A junior programs, not colleges.
All because your kid is looking at aging out to play D3, doesn\'t mean this kid will have to.
Pointless and unprovoked, but given the fact you need tweezers to use a urinal, understandable.
Apparently you have experience with that? Meaning the tweezers?

Anon
Anon
Anon
Anon
Anon
anon
Can anyone explain what their kids recruiting process was like in the past 4 years? Did you use an Adviser? It seems so overwhelming right now and we don\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\'t want to miss anything. He has received emails from coaches asking for his schedule, some asking more involved questions and asking for him to visit the school. He is only 17 so we dont want to make a knee jerk reaction but also dont want to miss an opportunity.
If your getting emails from D1 coach\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\'s that are specifically asking your son for a visit, I would suspect he would already have an advisor who has offered his services for free.
And if he doesn\\\\\\\'t already have an advisor who has offered his services for free, he is looking at 1 year minimum, probably 2 years and possibly 3 years of junior after HS and before college anyway. During which, what is probably now the majority of kids change their choice of school anyway - by their choice or by the program\\\\\\\'s.

so, committing while in HS, while good for the ego, actually can hurt your kid, since that means other schools that may represent better educational or hockey choices aren\\\\\\\'t as likely to look at him.

IMO, and I\\\\\\\'d be interested to hear the opinions of others, your focus should be on increasing his visibility to Tier I/II/Junior A junior programs, not colleges.
All because your kid is looking at aging out to play D3, doesn\\\'t mean this kid will have to.
Apparently you have experience with that? Meaning the tweezers?
That's some weak sauce, man. Pee Wee Herman-weak.

I'd say track down some of the families that have gone through it in the past 3-4 years and sit with them over a beer or coffee. Find them through your club team or locals you know are playing D-I.

These dinosaurs who pop their heads up who went through it 25 years ago know nothing. . . in fact, less than zero as their info is wrong and they just mumble "If your kid is good enough, they will find him..." "Like me when I was playing for Charlestown Youth Hockey in 82. . . " Gramps the world changed. And good luck. :kissing_heart:

anon
I'd say track down some of the families that have gone through it in the past 3-4 years and sit with them over a beer or coffee. Find them through your club team or locals you know are playing D-I.

These dinosaurs who pop their heads up who went through it 25 years ago know nothing. . . in fact, less than zero as their info is wrong and they just mumble "If your kid is good enough, they will find him..." "Like me when I was playing for Charlestown Youth Hockey in 82. . . " Gramps the world changed. And good luck. :kissing_heart:
Ironic response, since that's exactly what seems to be happening.

Even more ironic since I don't think anyone has actually given that advice in this thread.

You need to provide some additional details on what types of schools are reaching out and and where your kid is really at. If he's 17 and doens't have an NHL agent/advisor one year from being draft eligible then I'm wondering if you are talking D1 schools or D3?

If D3 schools are reaching out then I'm sure any parent can manage that process without an advisor.

If it's D1 then I'm wondering why you have not been approached by NHL agents. They cast their nets pretty wide. If it's D1 then which USHL team has drafted him?

Things are not adding up.

anon
You need to provide some additional details on what types of schools are reaching out and and where your kid is really at. If he's 17 and doens't have an NHL agent/advisor one year from being draft eligible then I'm wondering if you are talking D1 schools or D3?

If D3 schools are reaching out then I'm sure any parent can manage that process without an advisor.

If it's D1 then I'm wondering why you have not been approached by NHL agents. They cast their nets pretty wide. If it's D1 then which USHL team has drafted him?

Its D1 Schools, all Hockey East. He was not drafted by a USHL team but we have now (this week) heard from 2 about invites to their "final" camps. Its so confusing. We have heard from 3 local advisors but no NHL agent.

anon
anon
You need to provide some additional details on what types of schools are reaching out and and where your kid is really at. If he\'s 17 and doens\'t have an NHL agent/advisor one year from being draft eligible then I\'m wondering if you are talking D1 schools or D3?

If D3 schools are reaching out then I\'m sure any parent can manage that process without an advisor.

If it\'s D1 then I\'m wondering why you have not been approached by NHL agents. They cast their nets pretty wide. If it\'s D1 then which USHL team has drafted him?

Its D1 Schools, all Hockey East. He was not drafted by a USHL team but we have now (this week) heard from 2 about invites to their "final" camps. Its so confusing. We have heard from 3 local advisors but no NHL agent.
So, while unusual for you to approach a NHLPA certified agent, it's not unheard of. His coach or AD or a skills coach he works with may be able to help make that connection.

As for the USHL training camps, extremely unlikely an undrafted/untendered player makes a USHL team, but it wouldn't be the first time, and it certainly could open the door to being drafted or tendered if he shows well, even if he doesn't make the team.

Problem is, it costs, with no reasonable prospect of there being any ROI, and he'll only get to be seen by one team. If the cost or time away from whatever his commitments here are create an issue, just keep doing what you're doing, and see where it goes.

If he has D1 interest and I'm presuming he is a junior so you can freely communicate with colleges so that's good. You don't need an agent for that. Now if he is a repeat that might be the reason there isn't as much going on agent wise because he's draft eligible next year and probably not on any radar or scouting lists.

Anyway, there was an artical in NEHJ some time back on the most influential people in NE hockey. In that artical are a few agents mentioned. Matt Keater, Kent Hughes and Peter Fish. I would reach out to them. I'm sure if you are resourceful you can get their contact information. Ask them to take a look at your kid and ask for feedback. If they like what they see they will gladly be your kids "advisor". If he really doesn't project to them as an NHL player then at least you know. But I'd say at this point that if you have Hockey East schools reaching out then they would be interested. It costs them nothing and if your kids a late bloomer then they win down the road.

In terms of USHL I would wait till next year. Going out there this late is not a good scenario. If he makes a team he is probably a 4th liner. If he's cut then it's very disruptive to the school year. Just not a lot of upside to trying to make the jump at this time. If he's a D1 kid he'll be drafted in the spring and then you have time to investigate options.

I'd reach out to Darren Orr as well.