email: icehockeydboard@yahoo.com

Junior & College Hockey
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Twitter Congrats...

anon
Not sure why a twitter congrats to anyone for anything from anyone would bother somebody but whatever, some people need something to be upset about.
Also, post above mentions level of NC state club. Kid just applied to NC State and UNC. Would like to play club at either. Does last poster know something about these programs he can tell me. I know nothing other than that they exist. Could a bit better than average prep kid walk on to one of these teams? Is D2 down south that good?
I know they take it more seriously than a lot of the country. There are no D-I programs in the Carolinas, I think they don't have any D-III programs, either (but don't hold me to that). So, it's the Big Dog on the porch down there.

Best way to judge where your kid would fit in is go to a game at Northeastern. They lost in the D-2 finals last March.So, that would represent the ceiling. No idea how low the floor is, my guess is it varies a lot.

Enough with the comparisons of D3 Hockey to Club Hockey. I recently attended a D3 (Babson v. St. Anselm) game and the pace was torrid. The hands and edges were smooth and effortless. Transitions from the D zone through the neutral zone and into the Offensive zone happened with 2-3 passes and in less than 3 seconds. I could not identify any "weak links" nor could I identify the standouts on either team. All players were highly skilled in all phases of hockey.
These athletes are committed to their respective programs year round. They have summer workouts, monitored off ice training within the season, film sessions etc. They are on the ice under the jurisdiction of a professional coaching staff six days a week once the season starts. The technology available to the coaches and subsequently the players is way beyond that of NC State etc. All these ancillary assets far surpass those of a D1 Club team and therefore they make the program better and the level higher. Some of those club teams might have a few players who can play at Fitchburg State or higher but the majority of the club rosters are athletes who did not see a path to D3 hockey.
Today's D3 athlete, regardless of the sport, is most likely committed to their sport year round. For example, a D3 lax player will show up on campus in late Aug and by early September they are practicing 2-3 times per week and playing games or in jamborees multiple times per month through October. They will have Nov/Dec officially off but as soon as they return from Christmas Break they are fully immersed into their season. Expect the same for baseball, soccer etc.

Maximus
Enough with the comparisons of D3 Hockey to Club Hockey. I recently attended a D3 (Babson v. St. Anselm) game and the pace was torrid. The hands and edges were smooth and effortless. Transitions from the D zone through the neutral zone and into the Offensive zone happened with 2-3 passes and in less than 3 seconds. I could not identify any \\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\"weak links\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\" nor could I identify the standouts on either team. All players were highly skilled in all phases of hockey.
These athletes are committed to their respective programs year round. They have summer workouts, monitored off ice training within the season, film sessions etc. They are on the ice under the jurisdiction of a professional coaching staff six days a week once the season starts. The technology available to the coaches and subsequently the players is way beyond that of NC State etc. All these ancillary assets far surpass those of a D1 Club team and therefore they make the program better and the level higher. Some of those club teams might have a few players who can play at Fitchburg State or higher but the majority of the club rosters are athletes who did not see a path to D3 hockey.
Today\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\'s D3 athlete, regardless of the sport, is most likely committed to their sport year round. For example, a D3 lax player will show up on campus in late Aug and by early September they are practicing 2-3 times per week and playing games or in jamborees multiple times per month through October. They will have Nov/Dec officially off but as soon as they return from Christmas Break they are fully immersed into their season. Expect the same for baseball, soccer etc.
Smooth hands? A bit much dude.. Any club team at an NCHC school or ASU for that matter would absolutely crush the D3 schools mentioned.. most of those players were D1 commitments that ended up wanting to get started with college and not be a 21 year old freshman. Also grad students that played D1 at those schools. Do your homework.

I've done my homework. ASU plays Central Oklahoma and loses. Are you telling me there are "D1 commits" at ASU who decided to decline a "D1 offer," which most likely came with a financial incentive (partial scholarship etc.) to play club? You know not what you speak of. Maybe your kid did not get the offer from Westfield and your trying to justify his status on the Central Connecticut State Club Hockey team. A "D1" commit that declined the offer to play NCAA varsity hockey for club is not going to develop his game at the pace of a D3 athlete under the structure and guidance of an NCAA program. There might be rare examples of an athlete who many felt could play "D1" but wanted to get his life going right after high school.

Maximus
I've done my homework. ASU plays Central Oklahoma and loses. Are you telling me there are "D1 commits" at ASU who decided to decline a "D1 offer," which most likely came with a financial incentive (partial scholarship etc.) to play club? You know not what you speak of. Maybe your kid did not get the offer from Westfield and your trying to justify his status on the Central Connecticut State Club Hockey team. A "D1" commit that declined the offer to play NCAA varsity hockey for club is not going to develop his game at the pace of a D3 athlete under the structure and guidance of an NCAA program. There might be rare examples of an athlete who many felt could play "D1" but wanted to get his life going right after high school.
ASU as in Arizona State U... not exactly a hockey 'hot bed' such as NU, BU, BC, PC, OSU, ND DU UM (either Michigan or Mass) MU MDU

confused
Maximus
I\\\'ve done my homework. ASU plays Central Oklahoma and loses. Are you telling me there are \\\"D1 commits\\\" at ASU who decided to decline a \\\"D1 offer,\\\" which most likely came with a financial incentive (partial scholarship etc.) to play club? You know not what you speak of. Maybe your kid did not get the offer from Westfield and your trying to justify his status on the Central Connecticut State Club Hockey team. A \\\"D1\\\" commit that declined the offer to play NCAA varsity hockey for club is not going to develop his game at the pace of a D3 athlete under the structure and guidance of an NCAA program. There might be rare examples of an athlete who many felt could play \\\"D1\\\" but wanted to get his life going right after high school.
ASU as in Arizona State U... not exactly a hockey \'hot bed\' such as NU, BU, BC, PC, OSU, ND DU UM (either Michigan or Mass) MU MDU
ASU beat BC twice last season, beat Michigan State twice, split with Harvard, beat NCHC Colorado College twice.. split with BU, beat AIC twice I think they have only been D1 for 5 seasons. Oh.. they were a club team in 2015.. made the NCAA tournament in their 5th season. But go with Fitchburg State.. junior will be happy there.

You are citing the record of the ASU VARSITY team. Our discussion is centered on Club Hockey vs. D3.

Maximus
You are citing the record of the ASU VARSITY team. Our discussion is centered on Club Hockey vs. D3.
Really no discussion... D3 school ranked outside the top 150 college or universities as ranked by US News vs club at a top 50?? Which degree goes further? If NESCAC, Babson etc we can have a discussion. Fitchburg or otherwise?? Go club.

The discussion is not about the academic credentials of the schools mentioned. This ongoing argument is about the fools who think some club teams are more competitive on the ice than some D3 schools. If it's an academic discussion than hockey should not be part of the decision. I don't think I need to say choose rigor and reputation over athletics.

Maximus
The discussion is not about the academic credentials of the schools mentioned. This ongoing argument is about the fools who think some club teams are more competitive on the ice than some D3 schools. If it\'s an academic discussion than hockey should not be part of the decision. I don\'t think I need to say choose rigor and reputation over athletics.
club teams at BC, UMass, Michigan, Wisconsin, Minnesota, Denver would walk all over most NE D3 programs.

Anon
Maximus
The discussion is not about the academic credentials of the schools mentioned. This ongoing argument is about the fools who think some club teams are more competitive on the ice than some D3 schools. If it\\\'s an academic discussion than hockey should not be part of the decision. I don\\\'t think I need to say choose rigor and reputation over athletics.
club teams at BC, UMass, Michigan, Wisconsin, Minnesota, Denver would walk all over most NE D3 programs.
Still an idiot!!!!

Anon
confused
Maximus
I\\\\\\\'ve done my homework. ASU plays Central Oklahoma and loses. Are you telling me there are \\\\\\\"D1 commits\\\\\\\" at ASU who decided to decline a \\\\\\\"D1 offer,\\\\\\\" which most likely came with a financial incentive (partial scholarship etc.) to play club? You know not what you speak of. Maybe your kid did not get the offer from Westfield and your trying to justify his status on the Central Connecticut State Club Hockey team. A \\\\\\\"D1\\\\\\\" commit that declined the offer to play NCAA varsity hockey for club is not going to develop his game at the pace of a D3 athlete under the structure and guidance of an NCAA program. There might be rare examples of an athlete who many felt could play \\\\\\\"D1\\\\\\\" but wanted to get his life going right after high school.
ASU as in Arizona State U... not exactly a hockey \\\'hot bed\\\' such as NU, BU, BC, PC, OSU, ND DU UM (either Michigan or Mass) MU MDU
ASU beat BC twice last season, beat Michigan State twice, split with Harvard, beat NCHC Colorado College twice.. split with BU, beat AIC twice I think they have only been D1 for 5 seasons. Oh.. they were a club team in 2015.. made the NCAA tournament in their 5th season. But go with Fitchburg State.. junior will be happy there.
Your still an idiot!!!! You think that all of those players who were on the club team transitioned over to the Varsity DI team??? Take your head out of your _ss!

Maximus
I\'ve done my homework. ASU plays Central Oklahoma and loses. Are you telling me there are \"D1 commits\" at ASU who decided to decline a \"D1 offer,\" which most likely came with a financial incentive (partial scholarship etc.) to play club? You know not what you speak of. Maybe your kid did not get the offer from Westfield and your trying to justify his status on the Central Connecticut State Club Hockey team. A \"D1\" commit that declined the offer to play NCAA varsity hockey for club is not going to develop his game at the pace of a D3 athlete under the structure and guidance of an NCAA program. There might be rare examples of an athlete who many felt could play \"D1\" but wanted to get his life going right after high school.
My kid had never heard of Westfield and I would advise him to skip college if that was the only college that offered him a commitment. Would be better off working in the mailroom of a PE firm and playing in my beer league. Babson? Maybe. JR would love to have him. I think club at Michigan or Notre Dame might be more fun.

Westfield? Really? That’s all you got?

You sidetracked your original point. After your offspring gets a year or two at Notre Dame under his belt have him teach you how to debate and properly provide counterpoints. Try defending your original argument.

Anon
Maximus
Enough with the comparisons of D3 Hockey to Club Hockey. I recently attended a D3 (Babson v. St. Anselm) game and the pace was torrid. The hands and edges were smooth and effortless. Transitions from the D zone through the neutral zone and into the Offensive zone happened with 2-3 passes and in less than 3 seconds. I could not identify any \\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\"weak links\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\" nor could I identify the standouts on either team. All players were highly skilled in all phases of hockey.
Today\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\'s D3 athlete, regardless of the sport, is most likely committed to their sport year round. For example, a D3 lax player will show up on campus in late Aug and by early September they are practicing 2-3 times per week and playing games or in jamborees multiple times per month through October. They will have Nov/Dec officially off but as soon as they return from Christmas Break they are fully immersed into their season. Expect the same for baseball, soccer etc.
Smooth hands? A bit much dude.. Any club team at an NCHC school or ASU for that matter would absolutely crush the D3 schools mentioned.. most of those players were D1 commitments that ended up wanting to get started with college and not be a 21 year old freshman. Also grad students that played D1 at those schools. Do your homework.
Your an idiot, keep wishing though. Some of these parents who's kids play club hockey reminds me of these want to be parents whose kids played in the EHF. The only difference now is that their kid couldn't make it in a college varsity sport, but one similarity, the parent is still writing the checks. # Get a life :smile:

"Does last poster know something about these programs he can tell me. I know nothing other than that they exist. Could a bit better than average prep kid walk on to one of these teams? Is D2 down south that good?"

The answer to your question is yes. A better than average prep or D-I high school kid can walk onto these teams. At some point they might post something on their web page or Facebook group and list their 'tryouts.' A good player from New England should have no problem. D2 Club isn't all that serious. Kids like to win and have fun but they only skate a couple times a week.

This Club Hockey guy is a legit madman, but I can't hate on him. Guy shows hustle and effort even when faced with a losing argument. He is clearly headed to an insane asylum but god**** he is going down swinging.

Lets look at the facts:

1. He has a kid playing Club/Rec hockey in the south
2. He is on the dboard all day trying to promote club hockey and belittle DIII hockey
3. He is obsessed with making Club/Rec college hockey relevant and convincing people it is at or a step below DI and a step above DII

With those facts being undeniable, it is clear the following is true:

1. He spent a minimum of $3.5k a year x 10 years = $35,000 (Mite through midget) on youth hockey and then either public high school or prep (another $200k)

2. After said spend the boy received Zero D1 offers and Zero DIII interest.

3. His only option was to play Club/Rec hockey for 4 years at a party school in the south (god bless him)

3. The financial and familial investment have yielded no NCAA return on investment.

4. In hindsight he feels like a total buffoon and will spend as much time as necessary to belittle others experiences.

"club teams at BC, UMass, Michigan, Wisconsin, Minnesota, Denver would walk all over most NE D3 programs."

My kid plays on one of those teams. Lots of pluses. He really enjoys it, perfect blend of school/sports for him, great bunch of guys, better level than he thought it would be..... but he will be first to tell you they would not compete with any NESCAC, Babson.... type team. Maybe they could hang with some of the lowest end D3's
There is nothing wrong with that

Clubber Lang
This Club Hockey guy is a legit madman, but I can't hate on him. Guy shows hustle and effort even when faced with a losing argument. He is clearly headed to an insane asylum but god**** he is going down swinging.

Lets look at the facts:

2. He is on the dboard all day trying to promote club hockey and belittle DIII hockey
3. He is obsessed with making Club/Rec college hockey relevant and convincing people it is at or a step below DI and a step above DII

1. He spent a minimum of $3.5k a year x 10 years = $35,000 (Mite through midget) on youth hockey and then either public high school or prep (another $200k)

3. His only option was to play Club/Rec hockey for 4 years at a party school in the south (god bless him)

3. The financial and familial investment have yielded no NCAA return on investment.

4. In hindsight he feels like a total buffoon and will spend as much time as necessary to belittle others experiences.

We have a Bingo!

Anon
Clubber Lang
This Club Hockey guy is a legit madman, but I can\'t hate on him. Guy shows hustle and effort even when faced with a losing argument. He is clearly headed to an insane asylum but god**** he is going down swinging.

Lets look at the facts:

We have a Bingo!
Negative. Anyone that thinks the youth through HS "financial and familial investment" is a failure if it "yielded no NCAA return on investment" is a **** poor parent and role model.

My kid is tracking toward paying NCAA hockey. At NO point did I place conditions on my kid that if he didn't make it to college hockey I wasted my money. In fact, when he posed that question to me - no doubt following a locker room conversation with Clubber's kid, I told him exactly the opposite. I told him I did it to support his passion, but if that passion ever waned, we'd walk away, both happy for the memories it created for us.

And, I asked him to do the same for my grandkids.

Anon
Anon
Clubber Lang
This Club Hockey guy is a legit madman, but I can\\\'t hate on him. Guy shows hustle and effort even when faced with a losing argument. He is clearly headed to an insane asylum but god**** he is going down swinging.

Lets look at the facts:

We have a Bingo!
Negative. Anyone that thinks the youth through HS "financial and familial investment" is a failure if it "yielded no NCAA return on investment" is a **** poor parent and role model.

My kid is tracking toward paying NCAA hockey. At NO point did I place conditions on my kid that if he didn't make it to college hockey I wasted my money. In fact, when he posed that question to me - no doubt following a locker room conversation with Clubber's kid, I told him exactly the opposite. I told him I did it to support his passion, but if that passion ever waned, we'd walk away, both happy for the memories it created for us.

It’s always been about his return on investment and that he can tell his buddies his superstar is playing college hockey.. he’s convinced himself that to play D3 in favor of club is the way to go. So his kid will work in some skate shop until he’s 21 while he shells out another $30k so his kid can age out in the EHL than go to some crap D3 school with about 3000 students in the middle of nowhere.. his kid will hate him for it if he doesn’t already.

Go for it Rock!!

Anon
Anon
Anon
Clubber Lang
This Club Hockey guy is a legit madman, but I can\\\\\\\'t hate on him. Guy shows hustle and effort even when faced with a losing argument. He is clearly headed to an insane asylum but god**** he is going down swinging.

Lets look at the facts:

We have a Bingo!
Negative. Anyone that thinks the youth through HS \"financial and familial investment\" is a failure if it \"yielded no NCAA return on investment\" is a **** poor parent and role model.

My kid is tracking toward paying NCAA hockey. At NO point did I place conditions on my kid that if he didn\'t make it to college hockey I wasted my money. In fact, when he posed that question to me - no doubt following a locker room conversation with Clubber\'s kid, I told him exactly the opposite. I told him I did it to support his passion, but if that passion ever waned, we\'d walk away, both happy for the memories it created for us.

It’s always been about his return on investment and that he can tell his buddies his superstar is playing college hockey.. he’s convinced himself that to play D3 in favor of club is the way to go. So his kid will work in some skate shop until he’s 21 while he shells out another $30k so his kid can age out in the EHL than go to some crap D3 school with about 3000 students in the middle of nowhere.. his kid will hate him for it if he doesn’t already.

Go for it Rock!!
You know you could have had Clubby play town youth hockey and town high school to end up playing college club/rec right?

That’s gotta sting, hence the crusade.

Just step away from the public computer at the library, jump on a flight and go root Clubby on! This should be the fun times! If he knew you were on here fighting an unnecessary battle for him he would be really embarrassed. It’s the final act, support him. Don’t waste time ripping other kids.

Anon
Anon
Anon
Anon
Clubber Lang
This Club Hockey guy is a legit madman, but I can\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\'t hate on him. Guy shows hustle and effort even when faced with a losing argument. He is clearly headed to an insane asylum but god**** he is going down swinging.

Lets look at the facts:

We have a Bingo!
Negative. Anyone that thinks the youth through HS \\\"financial and familial investment\\\" is a failure if it \\\"yielded no NCAA return on investment\\\" is a **** poor parent and role model.

My kid is tracking toward paying NCAA hockey. At NO point did I place conditions on my kid that if he didn\\\'t make it to college hockey I wasted my money. In fact, when he posed that question to me - no doubt following a locker room conversation with Clubber\\\'s kid, I told him exactly the opposite. I told him I did it to support his passion, but if that passion ever waned, we\\\'d walk away, both happy for the memories it created for us.

Go for it Rock!!
You know you could have had Clubby play town youth hockey and town high school to end up playing college club/rec right?

That’s gotta sting, hence the crusade.

Just step away from the public computer at the library, jump on a flight and go root Clubby on! This should be the fun times! If he knew you were on here fighting an unnecessary battle for him he would be really embarrassed. It’s the final act, support him. Don’t waste time ripping other kids.
Tell your guy to make sure he does a good job on those skates..

If a recent commit came to my practice as a squirt should I go on Twitter and congratulate him? Did I have an impact on his development?

Of course you had an impact. A tremendous one. He skated at that practice and realized that he had no future or prospect of development if he played with you and moved on. You probably did more for that kid than you realize. So thanks and congrats to you for being a bad coach !

Anon
Why do programs keep sending Twitter Congrats shout outs about former players who quit the program, team and coach? Don’t these coaches and program owners feel like shameless idiot tools?
surprised this thread as continued this long, its really quite simple: the program is promoting itself: 'look who we produced'. then the question is did they really? well that is up to the player/parents. even a single season can have an impact (even just to re-energize their love of the sport) which leads to three paths:

player knows about it and agrees --- i assume you now have no issue

player knows about it and disagrees --- in which case he can respond to the tweet (which will show on the promoters page). i would assume at that point it the thread would be deleted, but the damage is done.

player is unaware --- then let him know, tweet message (if it is protected, then send to a teammate or the team)

BA land awfully quiet recently on commits and signing of NLI’s....