Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
2020-2021 D3 hockey

Not happening

Re: 2020-2021 D3 hockey

Looking grim.

This is from Bowdoin this morning:

https://www.bowdoin.edu/president/writings-and-addresses/messages-to-the-community/2020/june-22.html

Brutal on just about every level - especially the seniors - pay full freight for online classes for half the year and no hockey season.

I don't have college age kids (thank god) but you have to wonder if there is a option to just skip a year and come back without penalty. If there is I would think everyone on the planet should skip, save their eligibility for senior year and come back once they can actually have a real college experience.

Colleges won't like that because it will gum up the works on their class sizes, student housing, etc but otherwise they are basically just sacrificing the current students for the benefit of future students.

Unreal. Still trying to wrap my head around it.

Anon
Looking grim.

This is from Bowdoin this morning:

https://www.bowdoin.edu/president/writings-and-addresses/messages-to-the-community/2020/june-22.html

Brutal on just about every level - especially the seniors - pay full freight for online classes for half the year and no hockey season.

I don't have college age kids (thank god) but you have to wonder if there is a option to just skip a year and come back without penalty. If there is I would think everyone on the planet should skip, save their eligibility for senior year and come back once they can actually have a real college experience.

Colleges won't like that because it will gum up the works on their class sizes, student housing, etc but otherwise they are basically just sacrificing the current students for the benefit of future students.

Unreal. Still trying to wrap my head around it.
You can, of course, defer admission for a year at most schools without "penalty."

It will be interesting to see if schools allow a second deferral without requiring re-application due to uncertainty around COVID.

As for current students, can't help there. But, there has to be a way of preserving a year of eligibility, I suppose some requiring a wink and a nod.

Can you just take fewer than 12 credits?

Sadly it's the non-freshmen that are getting the worst deal and would want to skip a year.

I am so glad I don't have to make this call but for the parents who do it must be a nightmare. Even if you don't have to pay for room and board it's ~$60k for online classes and no sports. That seems crazy to me.

But if they don't let you do it and you have to leave then having to transfer and worry about acceptance somewhere else and finding a home on a team somewhere else is also a nightmare.

Whole thing is a nightmare.

They should have had everyone back and focused extra money on protecting vulnerable students and staff vs. doing it the other way around and nuking everyone's experience.

Brutal.

Once Joe Biden wins perhaps this will change

So true.

All the plans seem to be based upon few students on campus for the fall but resume full in spring. OK so what will be different? There will be no vaccine. If you are making decisions for the fall based upon "medical evidence" then just state only seniors on campus and no sports until there is a vaccine. If you change the standard in the spring then all you are doing is screwing the kids for no reason.

I know of one HE school that plans on all students in the fall and sports to be played, mostly in-conference, but some out of conference where the logistics can work which seems to make sense. Young people are mildly affected by this and since it aint going away anytime soon, drop the puck.

DIII has a better chance then DI of playing. How can D1 operate with out fans? DIII doesn't depend on ticket sales.

Seeing as how most club teams have more people in the stands than D-III I'm pretty sure #'s in the stands mean nothing.