The Official New England Ice Hockey DBoard 

Click Here to Visit Our Facebook Page

email: icehockeydboard@yahoo.com

Junior & College Hockey
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Number of rostered players on EHL teams

Why is there so much difference in the numbers of players on different EHL rosters? 13 defencemen compared to 6? 13 seems like way too many and 6 is not enough for an EHL schedule.

Re: Number of rostered players on EHL teams

Anon
Why is there so much difference in the numbers of players on different EHL rosters? 13 defencemen compared to 6? 13 seems like way too many and 6 is not enough for an EHL schedule.
Well, the talent level across the league is pretty disparate, with proven winning organizations able to attract as many kids as they want and first year teams struggling to find talent.

Of course, parents would be well served to do their homework, and be realistic about their kid's ability. My kid is climbing the ladder and got a contract from an EHL team last year without the team having seen him skate, other than on video. It was a good organization with a good coach that develops talent, but you know going in they're going to have 10 D and that your kid could be fine, or he could be fighting for TOI. I knew my kid could play in the league, but he wasn't going to be Top 4, so we chose a team that wasn't in the upper echelon.

I noticed one org has 36 rostered players. That's just too many. You can't not dress fifteen players a game. And the EHLP roster is already full, too. Even if they work out trades, they will keep up a chunk of their tuition plus a transfer fee, which i understand is $1,500. So the team can make money off of the redistribution of players.

So you basically have to make a choice based on past rosters because you don't know how many skaters the team will have this year or how good those skaters will be? Sounds like it would be easy to make an expensive mistake.

Anon
So you basically have to make a choice based on past rosters because you don't know how many skaters the team will have this year or how good those skaters will be? Sounds like it would be easy to make an expensive mistake.
Yup.

But, player movement makes it more recoverable. Helps to have a good advisor too. I realize that means even more $$$ still. Hopefully your pockets are deep.