Click Here to Visit Our Facebook Page

email: icehockeydboard@yahoo.com

Junior & College Hockey
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Tier 3 Juniors

D-3 NCAA is no great shakes. Take a Mass D-1 / C.C. H.S. player who skates on the first line and you have a D-3 kid. Sure they expect the kid to show-up as a 20 year old freshman but it's really not a great leap.

Not sure that either of the two replies above can be squared with the actual data. This is from the EHL website https://cdn2.sportngin.com/attachments/document/ad4f-2539670/2018-19_DII-III_Advancement_Data-FOR_WEB.XLSX#_ga=2.247879310.805814697.1634219224-2113341515.1613310203

Load the spreadsheet and sort by league. You will see that there are MANY tier 2 and Junior A players (and some USHL players) playing NCAA D2 and D3 hockey. The kids entering NCAA D2/D3 directly from high school are mostly repeats coming from NE prep schools. Just looking quickly, I don't see ANY Massachusetts public HS benders or CC starters going straight into NCAA hockey.

Yeah I think the guy covered that point about kids going from high school hockey to NCAA with the "...they expect the kid to show-up as a 20 year old freshman." Those kids who play higher level high school hockey all go to Jr.s or do a PG year at a prep. Every last college coach you speak with will tell you they prefer 20 year old men instead of 17-18 year old boys.

I think his bigger point is the D-3 hockey scene is nice but it's certainly not an impossibility for most good high school players. Without naming names my oldest boys high school team sent 6-7 kids to junior hockey (most local, one to Canada, one to the Midwest) and a few to prep hockey. A couple play(ed) D-1 college, a handful to D-3 and a few to ACHA - their choice.

Go watch the Super 8 and then go watch Salem State vs. USNH or something like that and you tell me, with a couple years of experience & growth a Super 8 starter would have little problem handling D-3.

anon
Not sure that either of the two replies above can be squared with the actual data. This is from the EHL website https://cdn2.sportngin.com/attachments/document/ad4f-2539670/2018-19_DII-III_Advancement_Data-FOR_WEB.XLSX#_ga=2.247879310.805814697.1634219224-2113341515.1613310203

Load the spreadsheet and sort by league. You will see that there are MANY tier 2 and Junior A players (and some USHL players) playing NCAA D2 and D3 hockey. The kids entering NCAA D2/D3 directly from high school are mostly repeats coming from NE prep schools. Just looking quickly, I don't see ANY Massachusetts public HS benders or CC starters going straight into NCAA hockey.
You may be right. I have no data.

But I am aware of kids playing USPHL premier that didn’t start at high school.

And I’m aware of Teir 2 kids going to play D3.

And I’m aware that D3 isn’t that far off from high end high schoolers.

My point is. There are not that many high end high schoolers. And those kids are not going to T3 juniors.

I know kids on T3 rosters that didn’t make the high school varsity team.

Usphl premier is terrible.. EHL has 17 teams (usphl premier has 60) and puts over 180 kids to ncaa d3. The usphl premier only puts up about 50 and there are 43 more teams..data doesn’t lie

anon
D-3 NCAA is no great shakes. Take a Mass D-1 / C.C. H.S. player who skates on the first line and you have a D-3 kid. Sure they expect the kid to show-up as a 20 year old freshman but it's really not a great leap.
This is 100% true in the year 1994. Today you could not be more wrong. Look at any D3 roster and good luck finding any kids direct out of Mass High School.

Another who has a hard time reading. Of course no one shows up to play D-1 or D-3 hockey as an 18 year old. That was covered by the guy in "...they expect the kid to show-up as a 20 year old freshman."

Anon
anon
For players aging out of tier 3 leagues like the EHL and USPHL Premier, about what percentage go ACHA versus NCAA?

Of the players who advance to NCAA teams from tier 3 juniors, are most of them depth players who don't get a regular shift on the NCAA teams?
Do any kids go from T3 to NCAA ??

There kids playing Teir 3 that didn’t start on their high school teams !
Roughly 40% of D2/D3 players come from tier 3 juniors.

anon
Anon
anon
For players aging out of tier 3 leagues like the EHL and USPHL Premier, about what percentage go ACHA versus NCAA?

Of the players who advance to NCAA teams from tier 3 juniors, are most of them depth players who don't get a regular shift on the NCAA teams?

Bullsh*t.

Anon
anon
Anon
anon

Of the players who advance to NCAA teams from tier 3 juniors, are most of them depth players who don\\\'t get a regular shift on the NCAA teams?

Bullsh*t.
click on this link to the EHL website: https://www.easternhockeyleague.org/commitments-2122

click on the xls icon for 2019-20 NCAA Division II/III Freshman Data

when the spreadsheet opens, use your skill with a spreadsheet to sort by league. Use your arithmetic skills to calculate that 39% of the NCAA II/III players are from tier 3 junior leagues.

The data is not just true for that season. The EHL has been advertising for years that 1 in 5 NCAA D3 players come from the EHL. This data is not in dispute even if you weren't aware of it. The question remains whether those 1 in 5 are mostly depth players and healthy scratches. Chime in if you know the answer.

Wonder what that number is if you take out NESCACs

Definitely different. The NESCACs and other highly selective LACs are more likely to take direct-from-prep players and tier 2 juniors. Still, there are some tier 3 players headed to NESCACs too. Anyone know if those are mostly A-band players?

Go to website Nescac hockey recruits

All you need to know