Junior & College Hockey
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: NESCAC

Anon
Anon
Your top 5 Division 3 teams? Hell your top 5 NESCAC teams would be able to easily hang with and beat most Atlantic League D1 schools.
Not likely, as most NESCAC lineups are kids right out of Prep (with an extra built in for repeating). Most of the guys in Atlantic DI, are 21-year-old Freshman. Big difference.
Totally likely. The guy's right. There's no doubt NESCAC teams would easily hang with and beat most Atlantic D1 teams. Your Atlantic D1 21 year old freshmen weren't good enough in the first place to play coming right out of prep or high school and in most cases 2 extra years in Juniors didn't magically make them any better. Older yeah but not any better.

Anon
Anon
Anon
Your top 5 Division 3 teams? Hell your top 5 NESCAC teams would be able to easily hang with and beat most Atlantic League D1 schools.
Not likely, as most NESCAC lineups are kids right out of Prep (with an extra built in for repeating). Most of the guys in Atlantic DI, are 21-year-old Freshman. Big difference.
Totally likely. The guy's right. There's no doubt NESCAC teams would easily hang with and beat most Atlantic D1 teams. Your Atlantic D1 21 year old freshmen weren't good enough in the first place to play coming right out of prep or high school and in most cases 2 extra years in Juniors didn't magically make them any better. Older yeah but not any better.
If the "2 extra years in Juniors didn't magically make them any better" then why do most programs require it? You need to talk to a few college coaches and set them straight.

And for most prep kids it's one year as they burned a year either staying back a year or coming in as a PG player.

anon
Anon
Anon
Anon
Totally likely. The guy\\\'s right. There\\\'s no doubt NESCAC teams would easily hang with and beat most Atlantic D1 teams. Your Atlantic D1 21 year old freshmen weren\\\'t good enough in the first place to play coming right out of prep or high school and in most cases 2 extra years in Juniors didn\\\'t magically make them any better. Older yeah but not any better.
If the \"2 extra years in Juniors didn\'t magically make them any better\" then why do most programs require it? You need to talk to a few college coaches and set them straight.

And for most prep kids it\'s one year as they burned a year either staying back a year or coming in as a PG player.
Great question! Why do they require it? Maybe all those "commits" who waste 1-2 years in juniors and suddenly find out they're now 21 year old "un-commits" can set you straight on how much better they got.

Anon
anon
Anon
Anon
Anon
Totally likely. The guy\\\\\\\'s right. There\\\\\\\'s no doubt NESCAC teams would easily hang with and beat most Atlantic D1 teams. Your Atlantic D1 21 year old freshmen weren\\\\\\\'t good enough in the first place to play coming right out of prep or high school and in most cases 2 extra years in Juniors didn\\\\\\\'t magically make them any better. Older yeah but not any better.
If the \\\"2 extra years in Juniors didn\\\'t magically make them any better\\\" then why do most programs require it? You need to talk to a few college coaches and set them straight.

And for most prep kids it\\\'s one year as they burned a year either staying back a year or coming in as a PG player.
Great question! Why do they require it? Maybe all those "commits" who waste 1-2 years in juniors and suddenly find out they're now 21 year old "un-commits" can set you straight on how much better they got.
I don't spend too much time speaking with 21 year old 'un-commits' kids chasing the dream. But I do speak with college coaches and maybe you should too. Why do they require a couple years of juniors? Well maybe a few college coaches can set you straight. Universally they will tell you, "Look, I would rather have a 21 year old man than an 18 year old child."

I know my kid went from 6'3" 180 to 6'3" 205 between high school season end and the start of his college hockey career. (18 months later).

This high schooler has impeccable grammar

Should be valedictorian at U New England

The hockey varies, some can hang with better D-3 while others would be competitive with a good Club team.

The education is fine if the kid's if plan is to stay in New England the rest of his life. Career wise, yes there are little local alumni networks depending on what the kid wants to study (Business maybe, education who cares) so it might have some value. Nationally no one cares if you went to Bowdoin, Colby or Bates as most would say "What's that?"

If the kid has an interest in college life, a wide range of majors, a little diversity, living in a city, getting out of New England, being part of a recognizable school with a huge alumni network, playing in front of fans then I'd say look into a higher-end Club team that checks all the boxes.

anon
The hockey varies, some can hang with better D-3 while others would be competitive with a good Club team.

The education is fine if the kid's if plan is to stay in New England the rest of his life. Career wise, yes there are little local alumni networks depending on what the kid wants to study (Business maybe, education who cares) so it might have some value. Nationally no one cares if you went to Bowdoin, Colby or Bates as most would say "What's that?"

If the kid has an interest in college life, a wide range of majors, a little diversity, living in a city, getting out of New England, being part of a recognizable school with a huge alumni network, playing in front of fans then I'd say look into a higher-end Club team that checks all the boxes.
oh yeah, this is the guy who thinks club hockey at some southern university is big time hockey becasue they are playing in front of drunk students

Not sure what "big time hockey" means. Anyone who plays D3 or club is there for the education, 99.9% of the time their hockey career is over after that. Heck, even most D1 players will not advance past college. You go to college to start a working career, not to have your parents brag to others. Go where you want, you're not going pro. Its OK. Get over it.

Anon
anon

oh yeah, this is the guy who thinks club hockey at some southern university is big time hockey becasue they are playing in front of drunk students
Oh yeah, this is the guy who thinks D-3 hockey at some little college tucked up in the north woods that no one has heard of is big time hockey because they are playing in front 35 parents on parent's weekend.

Dude, take the top line from any Super 8 team and they could ALL walk onto a D-3 team outside of the top 2-3 teams. Real exclusive and great hockey!

And then armed with your 2.7 GPA from a school no one has ever heard of and jump right into the job market when you're 25 years old and let me know how rewarding this big time hockey was for the kid.

anon
Anon
anon

The education is fine if the kid\'s if plan is to stay in New England the rest of his life. Career wise, yes there are little local alumni networks depending on what the kid wants to study (Business maybe, education who cares) so it might have some value. Nationally no one cares if you went to Bowdoin, Colby or Bates as most would say \"What\'s that?\"

If the kid has an interest in college life, a wide range of majors, a little diversity, living in a city, getting out of New England, being part of a recognizable school with a huge alumni network, playing in front of fans then I\'d say look into a higher-end Club team that checks all the boxes.
Oh yeah, this is the guy who thinks D-3 hockey at some little college tucked up in the north woods that no one has heard of is big time hockey because they are playing in front 35 parents on parent's weekend.

Dude, take the top line from any Super 8 team and they could ALL walk onto a D-3 team outside of the top 2-3 teams. Real exclusive and great hockey!

And then armed with your 2.7 GPA from a school no one has ever heard of and jump right into the job market when you're 25 years old and let me know how rewarding this big time hockey was for the kid.

Sounds like some guy is angry his kid isn't playind D3 hockey

He sounds like he's angry he paid full boat to some no name school and is chipping in on his 25 year old graduate's student loans.

Hey guys thanks for some of the responses I talked to a number of coaches this weekend and it looks like 1 year of Jrs and can really pick any D3 school or 2 years of Jr and have a shot at D1. So I am leaning D3 NESCAC, will decide this week.

Pack his bags, he's heading to the Midwest!

anon
Anon
anon

Let me guess your the Malden Catholic or Arlington High School coach? There a zero percent a single kid from MIAA can go and play college hockey at any D3 school in the country. Not a single kid in MIAA can play D3 hockey without a year of juniors.

I also hate to break it to you also your going to be paying about $8,500 for tier 3 junior.

Name me one kid that has come from MIAA and stuck on a Tier 2 junior team? The superstar from Arlington that had a commitment had been bounced all over the East Coast and he was the best player in the last 5 years to play HS.

Most Nescacs are starting to require kids to play juniors now. Middlebury who would take kids right out of prep now sitting at NAHL/ NCDC games every week. My kid is an higher end prep kid def not a D1 guy so I told him to reach out to these schools and all of them told him to do 1 year of juniors then we will speak. Yes he’s on a top 5 prep team been top 6 since sophomore year and I thought he would be able to walk right into a Nescac.

MIAA is DEAD