email: icehockeydboard@yahoo.com

Junior & College Hockey
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
USPHL Premiere: stay or go?

Fritz
My kid is a 2003 birth year playing his first season of USPHL Premiere. He has performed well, but is not getting the amount of ice time he was told he'd get before signing on the dotted line. He's not afraid to accept coaching, compete or work hard.

His team's head coach, who was not with the team when they originally signed him, is now suggesting if he comes back next season, he will step into a much higher profile role once the age outs have left town.

Since we don't have an advisor, I'm throwing my question to the anonymous, collective expertise of this fine community!

Is it reasonable to return to a team that over promised and under delivered on what they would give you during the current season? Is that just what a Tier 3 rookie's life is like? Or should we trust "Lucy" one more time to provide a good hold for him to kick that ball through the uprights?

I've heard "go to the team that wants you" but I have no idea if our experience to date is normal for a Tier 3 rookie or not.

Thanks in advance for any helpful, well intentioned advice you may have.
If your kid isn't getting time on a Premier team, then tell him to find a local mens league. Premier is pretty bad hockey.

Is the program giving him some type of ice time, maybe with the USPHL 18 team ?

Please don't listen to this idiot. There are some very good players at the usphl premiere level. A quick check on the web shows many top players go on to play at D2/D3 schools. Some kids are very good they just don't want move away during high school to billet out west to play NAHL only to end up playing D3 anyway like most NAHL kids.

As far as your son, every team and every coach is different. There is no across the board 'this is how it is' for the league guideline for you to follow, rookie or not. You said the answer, go where he is wanted and where he will play a lot. Ask the coach where in the lineup he falls, knowing that adjustments happen, but hearing he'll be a top player vs a bottom player will help your decision. Good luck.

The above person is trying to justify why his kid is playing USPHL Premier. Honestly, if your kid is 18 and playing at this level, and not get that much playing time, it's probably time to move on and stop wasting money. But if you have the money to waste, and your kid is a senior in high school, then why not, live it up for one last season.

anon
Please don't listen to this idiot. There are some very good players at the usphl premiere level. A quick check on the web shows many top players go on to play at D2/D3 schools. Some kids are very good they just don't want move away during high school to billet out west to play NAHL only to end up playing D3 anyway like most NAHL kids.

As far as your son, every team and every coach is different. There is no across the board 'this is how it is' for the league guideline for you to follow, rookie or not. You said the answer, go where he is wanted and where he will play a lot. Ask the coach where in the lineup he falls, knowing that adjustments happen, but hearing he'll be a top player vs a bottom player will help your decision. Good luck.

Yes. There are some very good players at that level. Yes. A few kids will live on to ncdc and such and play d3.

The lower half of teams are not good. So. Again. If you are not dressing for games on a premier team then it is over.

Thanks, fellas!

It's not like he's never seeing the ice. And happily we don't have to take a mortgage out on the house to let him enjoy playing hockey in this type environment.

We'll see how it goes!

The answer depends on your goals, but personally I would not keep an 03 on any team at any level (except USHL) unless I was convinced that there was a solid, increasing role for him. And I mean serious minutes, with PP and PK time. He only has two years left, and the time to develop is pretty much at an end. He's got to be seen ... NOW.

Well, there's the rub. You can do all the background work you want but there are no guarantees of playing time once the season starts.

If your player is getting playing time now, likes his team, likes his living situation, likes his coaches and the coaches are good coaches that run good practices, then he should stay with that team unless he gets an opportunity at a higher level. Coach is more likely to rely on him more and more as a veteran player and he should get more opportunities next season. Probably better than starting over on another team and having to prove yourself all over and earn a role on that new team.

I knew a kid that was in the USHL last year, younger kid, back end of the bench, not happy about the lack of playing time but happy to be playing Tier 1 juniors. Just kind of hanging on. This year rolls around and as a veteran returner thinking there will be an increased role this season. Nope, cut out of training camp. Is playing in the NAHL now and having a good season. Should have been playing in the NAHL last season instead of watching from the USHL bench, no clue how much that year of lack of PT hurt this kid's development. I'd like to think that if Covid wasn't around last season they would have sent him down but that situation last year resulted in a lack of player movement as teams tried to isolate themselves.

Point is there are no guarantees, and, players need to play in order to develop.

Thanks for all your feedback, guys.

Especially the last two. It really gives us some context.

If his goal is the NHL. then yes. Otherwise that's just ridiculous.