Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Advisor?

save your money
stay away
paid an advisor: worthless
son pla*** ecac, had nothing absolutely nothing to do with advisor

It depends on who the advisor is. My son never had one and was a top player on his midget team. Two other players on the team, no better, had one and through the advisor advanced into the NAHL. What irritated me is that the advisor wanted to represent my son too and I said no thanks. In hindsight with all the money spent over the years what would it have hurt for another 2k at that point. So if I had to do it all over I would have.

Family Advisors are lazy. They basically pump your kids tires but ultimately if your kid does not produce points, no Advisor on the planet can help.

My son was drafted by a NAHL team while still in high school. He was also offered by an AJHL team and several OJ teams. I wished I had an advisor at that time - not to get teams interested in my kid, but to understand what might be the best opportunity, the best fit, the right coach with the right style of play.

I asked as many people as I could about what to do, but I really needed some good insider advice. Unfortunately, I am not that connected in the hockey world so I had trouble getting good, thoughtful answers.

I am thinking about getting an advisor this year so I don't make the same mistake we made last year.

Anon
I have mixed feelings about the value of an advisor. We have been approached by some who don't charge a fee, but they seem distant. Others charge from 1k-3k per year.

At first blush, it seems silly to pay so much money when advancement to junior and/or college really depends on the quality of the player.

That said, these are critical years, and I wonder if it's worth the money for advice on choosing the right opportunity. I would think a solid advisor could help give information about the coach, the organization, how others have liked or disliked the organization, what the coach really thinks about your kid, etc, that might be hard to glean without consulting an industry insider. A good advisor might also give solid advice on the right path to get to the kind of college the player seeks to attend.

Thoughts?

if your kid has even an outside shot of being an impact d1 player, fat ian and/or Matt the dweeb will approach since they represent 50 kids per birth year in an attempt to create the biggest conflict of interest in any business. If your kid is actually good at hockey, some of the other advisors might approach as well, but definitely the first two knobs.

anon
Anon
I have mixed feelings about the value of an advisor. We have been approached by some who don't charge a fee, but they seem distant. Others charge from 1k-3k per year.

At first blush, it seems silly to pay so much money when advancement to junior and/or college really depends on the quality of the player.

That said, these are critical years, and I wonder if it's worth the money for advice on choosing the right opportunity. I would think a solid advisor could help give information about the coach, the organization, how others have liked or disliked the organization, what the coach really thinks about your kid, etc, that might be hard to glean without consulting an industry insider. A good advisor might also give solid advice on the right path to get to the kind of college the player seeks to attend.

Thoughts?

if your kid has even an outside shot of being an impact d1 player, fat ian and/or Matt the dweeb will approach since they represent 50 kids per birth year in an attempt to create the biggest conflict of interest in any business. If your kid is actually good at hockey, some of the other advisors might approach as well, but definitely the first two knobs.
I SAW IAN MORAN WAS MENTIONED AND I WANTED TO POP IN WITH NOTHING OF SUBSTANCE. LOUD NOISES.

Is a Paid Advisor supposed to help a kid/family find a path for the next year? Ours is kinda..not. He just says, talk to your coach and lets see where he thinks you should go. Shouldn't the guy we are paying be of some assistance with his contacts? Feel like we could have done this all ourselves.

anon
Anon
I have mixed feelings about the value of an advisor. We have been approached by some who don\'t charge a fee, but they seem distant. Others charge from 1k-3k per year.

That said, these are critical years, and I wonder if it\'s worth the money for advice on choosing the right opportunity. I would think a solid advisor could help give information about the coach, the organization, how others have liked or disliked the organization, what the coach really thinks about your kid, etc, that might be hard to glean without consulting an industry insider. A good advisor might also give solid advice on the right path to get to the kind of college the player seeks to attend.

Thoughts?

By Matt the dweeb do you mean the clown that's one of the GM's of the 5th place NAHL team out of Massachusetts that talks about the wonderful trades me makes that will "give them the right push towards the Robertson Cup" even though they probably won't make the playoffs?