Click Here to Visit Our Facebook Page

email: icehockeydboard@yahoo.com

Junior & College Hockey
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Worth it?

My son is 19, going to age out of Tier 3 Jrs this year, Play D3 Hockey and study business. He's looking forward to every second of it wherever he ends up.

Anon
Funny ... I was just having a discussion with one of my boys about this last night. He plays a different sport at the D1 level. His team is very good and almost won a national championship this year. But it's a ***** and he is considering quitting.

He feels like the sport is his job, and he is doing team-related activities almost all day, everyday. Practices, workouts, video, meetings, personal practice, etc. Every second of spare time is spent on academics, with basically no time to hang out, relax, party, be with the girlfriend, etc, like most college students.

He starting to debate whether to keep playing or to spend his last couple years living like everyone else. Either that, or dropping down to the D3 level at a top school where he can have a better school/sport balance. He knows he isn't going pro and, with college and sport nearing an end, having a little extra time to enjoy college life is compelling.
Son had a similar experience. His whole life had been a sports grind and then off to college and seeing others live their best life - school, study, drinks & laughs, hooking-up, staying up late, meeting a wide range of people, taking challenging majors and internships. . . Club sports don't seem like a bad idea.

If you ask "is it worth it" then you are revealing you were not a college athlete. I played college baseball and missed out on a lot of typical college rites of passage but I never thought twice about it. Practicing and playing with my teammates was more appealing. If your kid loves the game, he'll feel the same about college hockey. If he doesn't, he probably won't make it anyway.

If only I could get one more Saturday morning bus ride and double doubleheader weekend...

Not sure I agree. I also played a sport in college. Yes, I enjoyed playing in big games before huge crowds and a tv audience, but I felt like I worked for the university and had no life. And practices could be hell.

I often think I would be better off today if I had spent more time on academics and social activities.

It's a trade off.