Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Early

Anon
Anon
50 kids? The ushl camp limit is 30.
USPHL team with 55 kids at camp, cutting to 23 this week. How can they make 55 kids think they have a spot and just drop more than half of them. Or do they keep them and just tell them they will never play in a game? Do kids actually stay? Very interesting…found only 2 teams without a roster on USPHL so it’s either Advantage or Bruins. Kid is just starting high school but this is all great information to have. Any idea how Rickets or Hitmen do it?
How on earth can you even evaluate all 55 during a camp? You can't possibly give any of them enough of a look when you have that much. But I guess when its 55 players times say $400 a kid for camp they don't care

anon
Anon
Anon
USPHL team with 55 kids at camp, cutting to 23 this week. How can they make 55 kids think they have a spot and just drop more than half of them. Or do they keep them and just tell them they will never play in a game? Do kids actually stay? Very interesting…found only 2 teams without a roster on USPHL so it’s either Advantage or Bruins. Kid is just starting high school but this is all great information to have. Any idea how Rickets or Hitmen do it?
How on earth can you even evaluate all 55 during a camp? You can't possibly give any of them enough of a look when you have that much. But I guess when its 55 players times say $400 a kid for camp they don't care
No, this is actual ”team” training camp, not main camp. You have kids from all over the US, Canada who felt they had a spot based on conversations with the coach to only find out this week that your not on the team. Luckily my kid is local but others have moved here, and are gonna get cut in 3 days. After this week my kid is looking other places, coaches are unapproachable, older guys crap in the younger guys, just not for my kid, and he would have made it.

Anon
anon
Anon
Anon
How on earth can you even evaluate all 55 during a camp? You can\'t possibly give any of them enough of a look when you have that much. But I guess when its 55 players times say $400 a kid for camp they don\'t care
No, this is actual ”team” training camp, not main camp. You have kids from all over the US, Canada who felt they had a spot based on conversations with the coach to only find out this week that your not on the team. Luckily my kid is local but others have moved here, and are gonna get cut in 3 days. After this week my kid is looking other places, coaches are unapproachable, older guys crap in the younger guys, just not for my kid, and he would have made it.
That's the same exact thing. Main camp / team training camp is where they pick the final roster

Some teams do in fact still charge money for both. Sad but true

They can't and don't watch 55 players - its that simple.
Dirty little secret is that most coaches pretty much know what their lineup will be before these camps. Sure there are some surprises but not many. So do research and find out where in the lineup you are projected to be slotted. If the coach gives some vague answer then run. He already knows if you will be a top player, a regular player, or someone just battling to make the lineup at game time. Make your decision based on that and good luck.

My sons team scrimmaged them yesterday. They have so many players at training camp that at intermission they brought in another full team to finish the scrimmage, and the second team was better than the first! The rich get richer I guess.

Know that you are not alone! A lot of players get cut during camp, young and experienced, even returning ones. There is a lot of movement to other teams, usually a step down, and those teams are more than happy to take players in and push out others. Breathe! If you have an advisor, he should help finding a spot. If not, you can reach out. School is a tough part, online programs with no instruction can be brutal. Here kid, teach yourself calculus on your own! My former straight A honor student was often fighting for grades online, and for time to study while away, in between travel and training. For most kids it is best to finish at least 11th grade before going away.

Kids get cut/traded/sat all throughout the year.

Last year, my son played in the NAHL. There were 10-15 new guys on the ice every Monday until January. Each week, 10-15 new guys. Some of those guys were getting a look for next year, but most were "transients" looking for a spot. Sometimes the transients impressed and were put in games. Some even made the team and guys who used to be regulars got sat, cut or traded.

Also, there was a major disruption when the USHL made their cuts. My kid's team picked up two or three USHL cuts and kids who made it through main camp, training camp and several games were crapped on and sat.

Some of the guys who got crapped on found a spot on other NAHL teams. Some went to Canadian leagues like the AJHL or the SJHL. Others went back home and played AAA.

Just look at the 21-22 rosters on the NAHL website. Some of those teams went through a ton of players.

It's a tough road.

I say, go where your kid is valued, will play, is treated well and his happy.

"I say, go where your kid is valued, will play, is treated well and his happy."

So much truth to that statement.

For any player still in HS my belief is having control of where you are playing and going to school is very important. IF that means not playing juniors and playing Prep/AAA your senior year, so be it. Juniors will be there next year.

Junior hockey is a business and once you are signed you are a commodity to be scratched, traded, or cut. Understand that this is no longer youth hockey.

Anon
"I say, go where your kid is valued, will play, is treated well and his happy."

So much truth to that statement.

For any player still in HS my belief is having control of where you are playing and going to school is very important. IF that means not playing juniors and playing Prep/AAA your senior year, so be it. Juniors will be there next year.

Junior hockey is a business and once you are signed you are a commodity to be scratched, traded, or cut. Understand that this is no longer youth hockey.
That's great advice but when you talk to these guys your kill is so valued and loved and will be treated like a king in an awesome billet house and will be so happy!

Newsflash - there is NOT ONE junior hockey coach in the country that doesn't lie his you know what off to get kids to come play for him. They are the s***miest of the s***. Don't trust ANY of them! My kid played around 200 junior games for a lot of teams and while it was a good experience, he learned to not trust any of these clowns and advocate for himself

Don't trust any of them. If your kid is not happy, ask for a trade / change teams immediately.

Sons coach said that wouldn’t happen, and coaches don’t lie!

Son went through 1 year of NCDC, same type thing, only got into 25 games, new kids constantly at practice, coach never said a word to any of them.. son stuck it out and went D3 the next year. JR environment is terrible across that league.

I could be wrong, but I think some of the Canadian junior leagues are run more like AAA teams - meaning that when you make it at the beginning of they year, it is highly likely that you remain on the team all year. Of course, that does not guarantee playing time ... but at least you won't get cut in December.

In my view, these junior leagues need to create better standards - particularly with younger kids still in school. I think its absolutely horrible - unconscionable, really - to recruit a kid who is still in high school and then cut or sit him. It's one thing if the kid begs the team for a spot. Its another when he is recruited away with happy talk and promises.

Canadian junior teams are no better run...they are for profit businesses

Junior hockey isa buisness.
The coaches need to win or get fired.
They will do what they feel is best to give their club the highest chance of winning.
There are some really good and honest coaches in junior

Been there
They will do what they feel is best to give their club the highest chance of winning.
Where? Help Please

Anon
Been there
Where? Help Please
Yes please name a few! Kid played 4 years of juniors and we never found one

Junior hockey is a business. The best kids make teams. Take a look in the mirror before you start down that path. Is your kid good enough or is he /you delusional?

There is zero loyalty in the NAHL. Some in the NCDC. monarchs, BA, Jr Bruins take care of their homegrown talent. The USHL is a different animal. If your kid is committed to a D1 school they’ll get every opportunity in the USHL whether or not they stink,

If your kid is 16, really good, mentally tough, etc. they can play junior hockey. If not, wait. Play u18 or prep (if you have the $). Junior hockey will be there for him when he’s ready.

True. There is nothing wrong with playing high level midget hockey and not rushing into juniors.

Negative: Son found out last night that he got cut- sad for a moment.
Positive: Called the school that wanted him over the summer and they still want him, so he's off to college and will play there.
This sport is crazy.

Kinda hard to jump in mid-semester, isn't it?