email: icehockeydboard@yahoo.com

Junior & College Hockey
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: EHL Premier

Anon
Tough spot for sure. Is it possible for him to take classes at a community college AND finish out the season. If hockey isn't going to work out he can go to college next year as a sophomore. If it looks like hockey is going to work out and college would like for him to come play he can drop a class so he isn't a full-time student and enter as a freshman.
He's playing EHL Premier. No offense but hockey hasn't worked out

anon
Anon
Tough spot for sure. Is it possible for him to take classes at a community college AND finish out the season. If hockey isn\'t going to work out he can go to college next year as a sophomore. If it looks like hockey is going to work out and college would like for him to come play he can drop a class so he isn\'t a full-time student and enter as a freshman.
He's playing EHL Premier. No offense but hockey hasn't worked out
Need to be 04 or younger in that league if you're making a serious attempt at college hockey. This season's 04s would want to perform well enough to move onto ehl for following 2 years before maybe getting college looks. An 03 would really only be looking at transitioning to acha.

Any good 04 not in prep should be playing full season.

Don't want to sound mean, but the chances of an '03 who is only in the EHL playing D1 or quality D3 hockey is low. An '03 who is not currently in the USHL or BCHL is on the outside looking in. An '03 who is not in at least the NAHL or AJHL is WAY on the outside (unless he is either tearing it up in the NAHL or AJHL, dominating the NCDC, or has a stellar academic record and is shooting for an elite D3 college).

Were it me, I would choose some target colleges (based on academics, not athletics) and get his applications out ASAP - targeting a Fall 2023 start. It's a little late at this point, but you still have time.

I would shy away from staring college in the Winter term, unless of course you are at a community or local college trying to knock off some core classes. Its better to start with an incoming class.

ACHA - which is not a bad option - will be there regardless ... and completing this gap year playing junior might help him in that regard.

The original poster was talking about his 03 still waiting to be called up to the EHL from the lower EHLP league.

Annon
We’re 5 games in and my 03 isn’t getting called up. Is it time for me to have a heart-to-heart with my son and start looking for schools in January?

He thought he’d be on the upper team and he’s frustrated as well.
Start calling ACHA coaches at colleges he is interested in.