email: icehockeydboard@yahoo.com

Junior & College Hockey
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Holy Cross

anon
Do they recruit to win or just in a 10 mile radius? C'mon man!
Head coach as many ties to local prep schools and junior teams. Makes sense he would recruit from areas of familiarity.

Kid from dexter; Thayer and BC/Avon all committed within the past year.

Anon
Kid from dexter; Thayer and BC/Avon all committed within the past year.
A few won’t ever suit up at HC. I think Billy thought HC was a state school and he had to get mass players. Gheeeez. Some of whom were not top players at their prep schools. Makes you wonder.

Someone please tell BR that he is not recruiting for the brick team where he has `to recruit within a 100 mile range.

You guys are funny. You complain that Mass kids don’t get a shot. Then a coach gives Mass kids a shot, and you still complain. You know what that makes you guys? (Aside from funny)

Right?^^^ I think it's great to see the MA kids get a shot somewhere! Wish my kid got the tap!

Anon
You guys are funny. You complain that Mass kids don’t get a shot. Then a coach gives Mass kids a shot, and you still complain. You know what that makes you guys? (Aside from funny)
They want their mass kid. Not other mass kids.

Funny to see one of our local kids on there. Maybe the 4th-5th best kid at his position at the local school in the past few years and somehow the others never got a nod.

My son was recruited by HC, we did a visit and got a really impressive offer. He did however commit to another school in the end.

Overall HC is a great academic school. Their new athletic facility is very nice and the coaching staff are top notch. However they have not invested in the hockey program, and the athletic facility renovation clearly ended at the rink doors. Additionally it is well known the HC does not support its athletes academically like almost all other schools do with professors working collaboratively with athletes to ensure they are able to balance course load and athletics. Although they make a lot of noise about eventually getting into hockey east, they are still in the Atlantic which is not great hockey.

Just my .02 cents

I am curious about your statement that "HC does not support its athletes academically...." Can you please elaborate? What do other coaching staffs do that HC does not?

I have another son who plays a different sport in college. His coaches don't help academically at all, but his school has special counselors for the athletes who are great at scheduling classes around practice times, negotiating test/due date accommodations during the season to accommodate games and travel, finding opportunities to knock off core classes during the summer at community colleges, and creating an unbalanced schedule that is a little easier during the main season. Most (but not all) of the professors will willingly move tests to accommodate big games and travel. Is this not the case at HC?

Anon
I am curious about your statement that "HC does not support its athletes academically...." Can you please elaborate? What do other coaching staffs do that HC does not?

I have another son who plays a different sport in college. His coaches don't help academically at all, but his school has special counselors for the athletes who are great at scheduling classes around practice times, negotiating test/due date accommodations during the season to accommodate games and travel, finding opportunities to knock off core classes during the summer at community colleges, and creating an unbalanced schedule that is a little easier during the main season. Most (but not all) of the professors will willingly move tests to accommodate big games and travel. Is this not the case at HC?
Why WOULD the hockey coach help academically? LOL. You really want the guy to be a tutor also?

They have counselors / academic support for ALL of that at every school

Looking back on people I knew who played sports in college (particularly D1) and managed to not flunk out, it's a wonder how some of them did it.

4th or 5th based on your opinion...not the HC coach.

anon
4th or 5th based on your opinion...not the HC coach.
It aint QU, no way he last there

They are in talks to expand the rink. I realize its still years off, but they are / have brought in consultants to study the building and weigh options.

Holy Cross is one of those schools where athletes need to be admitted academically before having any chance to suit up for a varsity team. They are Student Athletes, not Athletes who happen to be students. Good for Holy Cross.

Holy Cross seems overrated

in what manner?