email: icehockeydboard@yahoo.com

Junior & College Hockey
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: D3 Merritt Money

anon
Yes it depends on the school, just like prep.
No "scholarships", but they find a way to help IF they want you.

D3 coaches have zero input in the award of scholarship funds. Only the FA department does and they are heavily regulated, especially at state schools where they report every dollar and where it goes. College is not a prep school where the hockey coach is also the associate dean of admissions. At best they can advocate for a candidate that may not meet admissions standards to get them accepted. None of them have the ability to award scholarship funds and no one in the FA department is losing their job over a D3 hockey player or any athlete. There are numerous scholarship dollars available however and a common one is wiping out-of-state-tuition for students with a 3.0 gpa or higher with an institutional scholarship, it costs the school nothing to do this. I'm sure some hockey dad somewhere is bragging about his kid getting special treatment for receiving this but it's literally given to any student that meets that academic standard and the school feels will continue to matriculate through their freshman cohort to graduation.

anon
anon

D3 coaches have zero input in the award of scholarship funds. Only the FA department does and they are heavily regulated, especially at state schools where they report every dollar and where it goes. College is not a prep school where the hockey coach is also the associate dean of admissions. At best they can advocate for a candidate that may not meet admissions standards to get them accepted. None of them have the ability to award scholarship funds and no one in the FA department is losing their job over a D3 hockey player or any athlete. There are numerous scholarship dollars available however and a common one is wiping out-of-state-tuition for students with a 3.0 gpa or higher with an institutional scholarship, it costs the school nothing to do this. I'm sure some hockey dad somewhere is bragging about his kid getting special treatment for receiving this but it's literally given to any student that meets that academic standard and the school feels will continue to matriculate through their freshman cohort to graduation.
This is accurate. Good post.

anon
anon

This is a game changer for many families whose kids cant afford the out of state fee. My family being one. My son is nervously awaiting to hear this week. A few prayers of good luck are appreciated.

Played d3-won a national championship, I paid instate tuition as an out of stater, was accepted to the school on my visit….I know -d3 is for losers. Peace and good luck. These graduate students and transfers have just made everything much harder for young players-Jesus, every goalie is a graduate goalie. Why don’t they make another. League for all the transfers and graduates….?

It depends on the school - some are more aggressive than others at finding non-athletic scholarship money.

It is merit not Merritt.

anon
It is merit not Merritt.
OP here. A little title sarcasm to make the post interesting. I thought it was funny.

I thought he was talking about the Merritt Parkway anyhow?