email: icehockeydboard@yahoo.com

Youth Hockey
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Parents Carrying Kids Hockey Bags

Anon
What's up with the parents carrying their kids hockey bags into and out of the rink? Seriously, your kid plays in the EHF, but can't carry his own hockey bag? Even at our local Town Hockey program, parents carrying the kids bags is discouraged after the age of 6. The most pathetic are the dads who march out of the rinks with their kids bags acting like they just played the game or worked hard in practice. Of course, these are the same dads who rush down to the locker room after the game to help little Johnny, the second year squirt, get undressed.

Worry about your own kid

Tough loss huh

Anon
What's up with the parents carrying their kids hockey bags into and out of the rink? Seriously, your kid plays in the EHF, but can't carry his own hockey bag? Even at our local Town Hockey program, parents carrying the kids bags is discouraged after the age of 6. The most pathetic are the dads who march out of the rinks with their kids bags acting like they just played the game or worked hard in practice. Of course, these are the same dads who rush down to the locker room after the game to help little Johnny, the second year squirt, get undressed.

What's up with the parents complaining about other peoples kids? Seriously, your kid plays Town hockey, but can't skate backwards or carry the puck? Even at our local EHF Hockey program, ankle bending is discouraged after the age of 6. The most pathetic are the dads who march out of the rinks with their kids thinking their kid can actually play hockey. Of course, these are the same dads who think they know a thing about the game but don't and give little Johnny a pat on the back because they tried their best.

Agreed.

Kids who let their parents carry their bag don't pass.

Anon
Agreed.

my kid my rules. gfy

simple. parents who carry their kids bags are living through them and hope they accomplish goals the fat loser dad or mom couldn't accomplish as a kid. losers. same ones bragging about their 3rd liner at work. same ones banging on the glass. same ones buying $200 sticks for their squirt minor who can't even lift a puck. the last poster is exactly this guy. some advice for you buddy. drop the boy at the rink. go hit a local bar for a beer. go back and pick up the kid after practice. ask him if he had fun and learned anything. take him home and make sure he does his chores around the house and feed him dinner. if he shoots pucks and plays street hockey on his own, keep him in the game. if not, don't waste money on select hockey. done. good luck jerky.

anon
Anon
Agreed.

my kid my rules. gfy

And your kid doesn't pass and you live through your kid.

All kids should carry their own bags and learn how to tie their own skates by Squirt Major. No exceptions.

Anon
anon
Anon
Agreed.

my kid my rules. gfy

All kids should carry their own bags and learn how to tie their own skates by Squirt Major. No exceptions.

Listen up jackass. you don't know me and you don't know my kid. but because you ask so nicely let me tell you, my kid carried his own bag since mite minor. no rollaway, a bag. he ties his skates for practice me for games. but it is still my kid and my rules. not the rules of some preposterous douchebag know-it-all who measures the qualities of a nine year old on whether he carries his own bag. you sir are pathetic.

G
F
Y

anon
Anon
anon
Anon
Agreed.

my kid my rules. gfy

Listen up jackass. you don't know me and you don't know my kid. but because you ask so nicely let me tell you, my kid carried his own bag since mite minor. no rollaway, a bag. he ties his skates for practice me for games. but it is still my kid and my rules.

Do you realize how ridiculous this is ? do you realize the message you are sending to your kid with this little bit of "parenting".

you are telling your kid, I will tie your skates in games, because games are important and your skates need to be tight.

you are telling your kid that although you tie your skates for practice you are not good enough to tie them for games when it counts

you are telling them that practice is not important because who cares if his skates are loose, its only practice.

your are telling them that games are the most important part of hockey and when it comes to something important I will do it for you because I don't trust you.

you are sending several very very bad messages to your kid and not helping him at all.

There is an easy fix for skates... at squirts tell your kid before a practice that if he doesn't tie his skates he doesn't go on the ice - if your kid does not tie his skates then he does not want to play hockey.

teach your kid to be self sufficent and do it for himself and his team, because that is hockey. Trust me.. there will be no drop off in his game if you dont tie his skates.

Anon
anon
Anon
anon
Anon
Agreed.

my kid my rules. gfy

Listen up jackass. you don't know me and you don't know my kid. but because you ask so nicely let me tell you, my kid carried his own bag since mite minor. no rollaway, a bag. he ties his skates for practice me for games. but it is still my kid and my rules.

Do you realize how ridiculous this is ? do you realize the message you are sending to your kid with this little bit of "parenting".

you are telling your kid, I will tie your skates in games, because games are important and your skates need to be tight.

you are telling your kid that although you tie your skates for practice you are not good enough to tie them for games when it counts

you are telling them that practice is not important because who cares if his skates are loose, its only practice.

your are telling them that games are the most important part of hockey and when it comes to something important I will do it for you because I don't trust you.

you are sending several very very bad messages to your kid and not helping him at all.

There is an easy fix for skates... at squirts tell your kid before a practice that if he doesn't tie his skates he doesn't go on the ice - if your kid does not tie his skates then he does not want to play hockey.

teach your kid to be self sufficent and do it for himself and his team, because that is hockey. Trust me.. there will be no drop off in his game if you dont tie his skates.

maybe they use practice as practice for tying skates. I see lots of kids out there skating with skates that are too loose. The rigid skates aren't always easy. Why does anyone care about this? Worry about your own kid. If you are/they are OK with tying their own and going out their loose or tie fine...great. If they like them tighter and can't get them as tight as they like and parents tie....great, if parents let their kids tie for practice at practice and parents tie for games....great. Stop judging

Anon
anon
Anon
anon
Anon
Agreed.

my kid my rules. gfy

again no have no idea who I am. you are making assumptions. but if this amateur psychology works for you - great. and keep telling yourself that you have it all figured out...

OK, here's a question. What age is too old to be tying a kid's skates? I saw a team of 04's this year that had half the team coming out of the locker room to have mommy or daddy tie their skates . These kids are 11-12 years old. My kid's team had to tie their own skates as first year squirts. Cut the cord people!

you people realize of course that you are all morons and that carrying or not carrying your kids hockey bag will have zero effect on his life right?

People have different opinions but my take is by first year of PeeWees kids should be able to do everything for themselves.

Anon
OK, here's a question. What age is too old to be tying a kid's skates? I saw a team of 04's this year that had half the team coming out of the locker room to have mommy or daddy tie their skates . These kids are 11-12 years old. My kid's team had to tie their own skates as first year squirts. Cut the cord people!

good for your kids team SMH

I just can't believe that all of you bag carrying parents think all of us are crazy for criticizing you. As if we are out of line for suggesting that you should let the kid do things for himself. Helicopter parents is a thing these days, you know. And yes, it has (and will) have an affect on their life later on.

Sports is your opportunity to teach them about struggle, hard work, toughness, and persistence. But you are wasting this opportunity by pampering them. Go ahead, ridicule my point, but don't come on here denying that the helicopter parent syndrome isn't a real problem for this generation of families.

anon
I just can't believe that all of you bag carrying parents think all of us are crazy for criticizing you. As if we are out of line for suggesting that you should let the kid do things for himself. Helicopter parents is a thing these days, you know. And yes, it has (and will) have an affect on their life later on.

Sports is your opportunity to teach them about struggle, hard work, toughness, and persistence. But you are wasting this opportunity by pampering them. Go ahead, ridicule my point, but don't come on here denying that the helicopter parent syndrome isn't a real problem for this generation of families.

I think anyone is out of line for telling anyone else how to parent their kid. Mind your own kid and business

this is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point in any of these rambling, incoherent responses were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.

is refusing to carry your kids hockey bag a micro or macro aggression?

Goalie bag = macro, all others = micro

Anon
is refusing to carry your kids hockey bag a micro or macro aggression?

Finally someone speaking my language. Now all you bag carriers tell me what is and is not "insanely idiotic". The concept of microagression is idiotic and erodes our children's ability to deal properly with the adversities of life. The hockey bag plays into this mentality.

for the record...my kid carries his own bag...but I posted mind your own business and don't worry about another's parenting skills when it doesn't affect your own kid

anon
for the record...my kid carries his own bag...but I posted mind your own business and don't worry about another's parenting skills when it doesn't affect your own kid

Last post since I sense people don't agree with me. But how you parent your child does impact my kid. They all have to play on the same teams, work the same jobs, and live in the same neighborhoods together. The idea that we shouldn't express our views on how others parent is exactly how wack job helicopter parents have been given the chance to impose their will on a generation of children.

Be honest with me (not directed at you specifically, but to everyone): are you preparing your child to survive and thrive in the real world, or will he be shocked when the world stops stumbling over itself to help him out and he needs to figure out things on his own?

anon
anon

Last post since I sense people don't agree with me. But how you parent your child does impact my kid. They all have to play on the same teams, work the same jobs, and live in the same neighborhoods together. The idea that we shouldn't express our views on how others parent is exactly how wack job helicopter parents have been given the chance to impose their will on a generation of children.

Be honest with me (not directed at you specifically, but to everyone): are you preparing your child to survive and thrive in the real world, or will he be shocked when the world stops stumbling over itself to help him out and he needs to figure out things on his own?

As I mentioned, My kid carries his own bag, he ties his own skates for practice but I tighten them for games, that has nothing to do with your kid, he works well with his line and his team, he actually is one who passes the puck. We do not live in the same neighborhood or have the same jobs as anyone one our team but even if we did, it is non of your business that I find it necessary to tighten his skates on occasion or someone else wants to carry a bag. He is on the first line, the best passer and the 3rd highest scorer on the team. I don't worry about how your kid is parented, please don't worry about mine.

anon
anon
anon

As I mentioned, My kid carries his own bag, he ties his own skates for practice but I tighten them for games, that has nothing to do with your kid, he works well with his line and his team, he actually is one who passes the puck. We do not live in the same neighborhood or have the same jobs as anyone one our team but even if we did, it is non of your business that I find it necessary to tighten his skates on occasion or someone else wants to carry a bag. He is on the first line, the best passer and the 3rd highest scorer on the team. I don't worry about how your kid is parented, please don't worry about mine.

Well you missed my point, but that's fine. Enjoy the spring/summer and good luck to your boy next year.

I know we can all agree that in general, we raise our kids very differently than our parents raised us. Some for the better, some for the worse.

It is important for our kids to become independent and learn to do for themselves when the time is right. The bags are heavy. Help them until they are able to carry it themselves and don't look back. Tying their skates. Teach them, and don't look back.

We have to stop coddling our kids. Hockey is a tough sport and one day your little Johnny will take pride in doing things for himself.

But please, what ever you do, do not let your kid have a hockey bag with wheels!! It's embarrassing and should it be outlawed!

Reminds me of those male flight attendants at the airport rolling their lil handbags down the terminal. Not a good image for a hockey player!

Anon
I know we can all agree that in general, we raise our kids very differently than our parents raised us. Some for the better, some for the worse.

It is important for our kids to become independent and learn to do for themselves when the time is right. The bags are heavy. Help them until they are able to carry it themselves and don't look back. Tying their skates. Teach them, and don't look back.

We have to stop coddling our kids. Hockey is a tough sport and one day your little Johnny will take pride in doing things for himself.

But please, what ever you do, do not let your kid have a hockey bag with wheels!! It's embarrassing and should it be outlawed!

Reminds me of those male flight attendants at the airport rolling their lil handbags down the terminal. Not a good image for a hockey player!

OK, I must admit I do kind of chuckle at the kids with those bags who still have the Parents wheeling those in....but I'm not judging

I am judging. Hey Dbag, you have an obligation to prepare you child in life.

Final question. Did you cry during your favorite scene in the Notebook?

Hmo.

anon
I am judging. Hey Dbag, you have an obligation to prepare you child in life.

Final question. Did you cry during your favorite scene in the Notebook?

Hmo.

keep judging, I rather teach my kid the proper use of grammar...

anon

he works well with his line and his team, he actually is one who passes the puck.

He is on the first line, the best passer and the 3rd highest scorer on the team.

So what your saying is he cant tie his skates and cant shoot. There is a correlation between the two in case you have not figured that out yet !

When does the 3rd highest goals with 9 forwards and 16 kids on a team mean he can't shoot or score? That goals, not points..points are twice as many

anon
Anon
anon
Anon
anon
Anon
Agreed.

my kid my rules. gfy

again no have no idea who I am. you are making assumptions. but if this amateur psychology works for you - great. and keep telling yourself that you have it all figured out...

says the guy who ties his kids skates

Because your kid is such a bad ass walking out of the rink pulling his hockey bag with wheels. STFU and worry about your own kid. Oh and tell your wife to stop "friending" me on Facebook

Ha ha. All you losers couldn't hold my ball bag!

It was written in "The Rules," just don't do it.

I feel this new version of the dboard is hitting its stride in this thread alone.

Almost brings a tear to the eye.

Anon
I feel this new version of the dboard is hitting its stride in this thread alone.

Hey helicopter dad. Does your child enjoy listening to Elton John and brushing the hair of his favorite Barbie?

anon
Anon

Yes! The Dboard is back!

My kid wears #99....

Cool! My kid wears 00 !!!

I take everything back, this is awesome. still gfy but please keep it going.

because kids play in EHF they should carry their bags more than town players? you are a fmoron. This is what you no lifers have to complain about? you ran out of posts to respond "face it you got cut" and bashing JL/TL, Boch, Crimson, Express, Coaches, Parents, etc....now we are complaining about who is carrying a hockey bag OMFG. I will carry by kids bag anytime I feel like. Why? Because I can! Because I want to! Because I have much more important things in my life to worry about than who is carrying a hockey bag. Because my kid will be off to college in a few years and I will do every and anything for my kid with the few quick years I have left with him, and I've never even gave it a thought that picking up a bag full of thousand dollars of equipment and carrying it to my car was such an issue for other people. Get a fkng life, or even better, a job!! that way you will actually have something of value to complain about.....Yawn

moron
because kids play in EHF they should carry their bags more than town players? you are a fmoron. This is what you no lifers have to complain about? you ran out of posts to respond "face it you got cut" and bashing JL/TL, Boch, Crimson, Express, Coaches, Parents, etc....now we are complaining about who is carrying a hockey bag OMFG. I will carry by kids bag anytime I feel like. Why? Because I can! Because I want to! Because I have much more important things in my life to worry about than who is carrying a hockey bag. Because my kid will be off to college in a few years and I will do every and anything for my kid with the few quick years I have left with him, and I've never even gave it a thought that picking up a bag full of thousand dollars of equipment and carrying it to my car was such an issue for other people. Get a fkng life, or even better, a job!! that way you will actually have something of value to complain about.....Yawn

Other kids laugh at your kid because Mommy carries his bag. Trust me, don't do it. Cut the cord.

You must be proud what a good role model you are to your kid, lucky kid. Learning how to be a dick way ahead of his time. BTW, not every kid is lucky enough to have a mother, you jerkoff. Put things in perspective and grow up

Ah, the big tough daddy/mommy...stupid as the day is long. You really think that 20 lbs feels like 20 lbs to a kid that weighs 50 - 80 lbs. Most doctors would suggest using caution letting young kids lift weights, and absolutely never let them with the improper form that is used in carrying a hockey bag. Carrying gear the way the bags are designed (slung over one shoulder) can actually result in injury and could possibly damage the growth plates. You see them...kids all hunched over to one side trying to compensate for the lopsided weight. Recommendations on lifting weights don't start until teenage years because of this. All those "little" injuries by a kid lifting a bag that weighs around 1/4 - 1/2 his weight is actually pretty stupid of you as a parent. You've heard them say it to you...I don't know why my knee hurts, nothing happened. So for those who carry the bags nice job, nothing wrong with helping out your kids. For those that say "it makes my kid stronger"...well you are an idiot, it really doesn't do a **** thing for them and could hurt them. Here's a test. I suggest throwing half your weight into a bag, sling it over your shoulder, grab a couple of sticks, walk down some steps, off the curb and the 100 - 200 feet to your car. Do this three/four times a week for a month or two and then decide if little Johnny should be doing this. When little Johnny can stand up mostly straight while carrying the extra weight, then let him have at it.

anon
Ah, the big tough daddy/mommy...stupid as the day is long. You really think that 20 lbs feels like 20 lbs to a kid that weighs 50 - 80 lbs. Most doctors would suggest using caution letting young kids lift weights, and absolutely never let them with the improper form that is used in carrying a hockey bag. Carrying gear the way the bags are designed (slung over one shoulder) can actually result in injury and could possibly damage the growth plates. You see them...kids all hunched over to one side trying to compensate for the lopsided weight. Recommendations on lifting weights don't start until teenage years because of this. All those "little" injuries by a kid lifting a bag that weighs around 1/4 - 1/2 his weight is actually pretty stupid of you as a parent. You've heard them say it to you...I don't know why my knee hurts, nothing happened. So for those who carry the bags nice job, nothing wrong with helping out your kids. For those that say "it makes my kid stronger"...well you are an idiot, it really doesn't do a **** thing for them and could hurt them. Here's a test. I suggest throwing half your weight into a bag, sling it over your shoulder, grab a couple of sticks, walk down some steps, off the curb and the 100 - 200 feet to your car. Do this three/four times a week for a month or two and then decide if little Johnny should be doing this. When little Johnny can stand up mostly straight while carrying the extra weight, then let him have at it.

This is exactly what is wrong with America. I carried my bag just fine when I was a kid and no damage done. I also rode my bike without a helmet, which I guess is off limits today also. What you don't realize is that while trying to protect your child from these "hazards", you are making him weak and helpless, and grooming him to expect people to take care of him all the way through life. Don't believe me...then why are all the young voters supporting Bernie Sanders? We are heading in the wrong direction in large part because our generation has babied our children.

anon
anon

This is exactly what is wrong with America. I carried my bag just fine when I was a kid and no damage done. I also rode my bike without a helmet, which I guess is off limits today also. What you don't realize is that while trying to protect your child from these "hazards", you are making him weak and helpless, and grooming him to expect people to take care of him all the way through life. Don't believe me...then why are all the young voters supporting Bernie Sanders? We are heading in the wrong direction in large part because our generation has babied our children.

So...

Carrying my kids gear turns him into a Sanders supporter?

Thanks for the enlightenment.

I'm with the previous well spoken poster. Dads go fill a canvas duffle with 100 lbs of pea stone. Moms 125 you heavy hitters. Walk 200-300 ft, down stairs, and another 150 inside the rink.

I'm gonna be busy hiding the paddles.

Anon
anon
anon

So...

I'm with the previous well spoken poster. Dads go fill a canvas duffle with 100 lbs of pea stone. Moms 125 you heavy hitters. Walk 200-300 ft, down stairs, and another 150 inside the rink.

Great technique right there. Distract from my point by reducing it to an absurd conclusion that I never made. How about a real rebuttal, instead of one that was already made earlier in the thread?

I've been guilty of this but recently stopped.

At tryouts for first year PW I noticed very few kids not carrying their own bag (and this was for the town team). I get why people do it and it's not the biggest crime in the world but at some point the perception from other kids comes into play.

anon
Anon
anon
anon

So...

Great technique right there. Distract from my point by reducing it to an absurd conclusion that I never made. How about a real rebuttal, instead of one that was already made earlier in the thread?

Disclaimer: This is a rant and therefore incoherent.
It has nothing to do with how great America is whether my kid does carry his bag or not. it has nothing to do with whether he is a poor/good/great hockey players. sometimes, man, the absurdities on this board reach levels that are unbelievable. 4 years ago my kid was new to club hockey, all I can say, I am happy that he is gotten better, I am happy his intense love for the game hasn't changed and he still works his butt off 4 years later. that is what is important to me.

that thread has gone far too long.

This thread is only matched in its stupidity with the jersey number thread.

Yes, only 1-30 should be allowed. Have a dusty bender on the team? give him #56, tie his too long laces around his ankles and have him tuck his jersey in and let the tongue of his skates flop around outside of his socks!