Click Here to Visit Our Facebook Page

email: icehockeydboard@yahoo.com

Youth Hockey
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Coaching

Depends. If you are talking about the best players out there then usually not. Immature newbie hockey parents think so. Folks who have been around the block though don't. It's been my experience with my kids that guys who never really made it but love the game and know how to teach it do make good coaches. If they don't have the ego, are not overl the top competitive and know how to communicate with the kids then you have a good match.

Best way to know if you have a good coach or not just to ask him to explain the game in very simple terms. If they can break it down so that you understand it and why, they likely know what they're talking about.

Want to be idiots are the ones that try to make it more complex than it really is.

Some can do it that weren't to gifted as players. Think Bill Belichick. Far too many ex-players yell and scream like royal idiots (many of you know the guys) because that's what their coaches did - sad to see at the youth and high school / prep level.

The parents love to say that my kids coach played in the NHL! Even though he is a real douchebag it's funny to see grown men kiss ass

The ex-NHL'ers I've seen (with a couple exceptions) are terrible coaches. Swearing, throwing water bottles, yelling at the refs like it's game seven of the Stanley Cup finals. More youth coaches should aspire to the Jack Parker school of coaching by teaching and acting in a professional manner.

Parker was one of the biggest douchebags on the bench.

My kids coach played in the minors. He gets it. You have to be able to teach and let the kid enjoy the game.

I think he meant Jerry York .

I think it depends a little on age but my experience has been NO for many reasons but primarily because they struggle to teach things in a way that kids can understand & consume.

anon
I think he meant Jerry York .

I was thinking the same thing. If they weren't a powerhouse but just mediocre , I would still love my kid to play for him. Denehey seems cut from they same cloth

Exactly how low an IQ do you have to have to be from the Boston area and not know the difference between Jack Parker and Jerry York?

Somebody find out who this guy's kid is and cut him.

a good youth hockey coach needs to have played competitive hockey but not at the highest levels. Its more important to be an effective educator and communicator. At the squirt and peewee level, it's also important for the coach to be able to demonstrate the drills/ skills he expects from his players. I've seen too many coaches who do not correct fundamental skating, stick handling issues because they, themselves are simply not aware and don't recognize it.

my son had coaches like that at the breakers and the practices were painful to watch. They also got rid of the guy who ran the skills and the skills are terrible now

They should hire a kid who is working elsewhere like BA and over pay him.