Click Here to Visit Our Facebook Page

email: icehockeydboard@yahoo.com

Youth Hockey
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Blue Chip

Hell ya what a waste of time and money. The competition stinks this year.

How astute! Quick on the uptake.

Can someone please explain to me what constitutes a "money grab" vs a non "money grab" as it relates to youth hockey. It is always said in a manner that would leave you to believe that someone is committing a crime.

They are all "money grabs", even the beloved brick that people think will get there kids into the NHL

But that's my point. It's a business. The point of business is to grab other people's money. Are these Spring hockey club owners supposed to run the teams for free?

Good exposure... Maybe the should sponsor the DBoard...

Anon
Can someone please explain to me what constitutes a "money grab" vs a non "money grab" as it relates to youth hockey. It is always said in a manner that would leave you to believe that someone is committing a crime.

I shake my head every time I see it.I'm convinced those who use it have no idea how the concept of the economy and business works

Anon

I think if an owner/rink/tournament is not providing what they promote, then we are OK to call it a money grab. For instance, "Come to the Bender Showcase at NESC to skate in front of NCAA Division 1 coaches and over 25 prep coaches from throughout New England." And then it turns out to be Minuteman Flames EMHL tryouts. That would be a money grab. I admit that one sounds pretty obvious, but there are shades of gray.

I think in the case of the Blue Chip, an expectation has been created by parents that there is some sort of promotional benefit to playing their kid in this tournament (which is ridiculous, of course). I'm not sure if this comes from the tournament people, or the fact that quite a few of the top players in the region end up playing on the Blue Chip Selects team. Anyway, I would vote that this tournament is not a money grab, but a well run spring tournament that doesn't purport to give you "exposure" to scouts or prep coaches, only to provide your kid a place to play some semi-competitive spring hockey.