Visit The DBoard Online Store - https://www.cafepress.com/icehockeydboard

Click Here to Visit Our Facebook Page

email: icehockeydboard@yahoo.com

Youth Hockey
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Roller hockey (?)

I see over on the DBoard Facebook page a link to a 'Donato Roller Hockey is Coming to Weymouth.' And it always raises the question - does roller hockey help or hurt your skating?

I for one believe it KILLS your skating but helps your hands immensely. And if anyone has ever seen the Donato kid play you would agree that he is a byproduct of roller hockey - all hands and a very marginal (as in minimum talent for his level of play) skater.

So would you let your kid do it? If the kid is already a plus skater and needs to work on his hands maybe. It would be interesting to hear what some of the top-end skating instructors say.

Re: Roller hockey (?)

Ha! And the B's (well actually Chiarelli) took the kid in the second round! And you wonder how they got to where they are going?

trust me, that kid will light it up in the mens league.

anon
I see over on the DBoard Facebook page a link to a 'Donato Roller Hockey is Coming to Weymouth.' And it always raises the question - does roller hockey help or hurt your skating?

I for one believe it KILLS your skating but helps your hands immensely. And if anyone has ever seen the Donato kid play you would agree that he is a byproduct of roller hockey - all hands and a very marginal (as in minimum talent for his level of play) skater.

So would you let your kid do it? If the kid is already a plus skater and needs to work on his hands maybe. It would be interesting to hear what some of the top-end skating instructors say.

Good roller hockey skaters can do just about everything an ice hockey skater can do--even hockey stops, though they don't do those often. Roller is great for agility because you can't cheat--have to pick up your feet-- and speed because you have to push harder. Conner McDavid did tons of roller--enough said.

anyone who thinks roller hockey hurts a player is a moron. find the tallest building and jump you jerk.

Very level headed concept. All I know is the kids on my son's team that play roller hockey are not great skaters. Maybe there is something to this.

anon
Very level headed concept. All I know is the kids on my son's team that play roller hockey are not great skaters. Maybe there is something to this.

They probably don't skate very well on roller hockey skates either.

Roller hockey?? You guys serious? Time to reconsider.

True.

not only does it improve your skating but also makes you an all round better player...

you tube IIHF World Championships and watch the videos...Your eyes will tell you all you need to know oh and over 50 current NHL players still play roller..Goodle that as well!

Randy D
Roller hockey?? You guys serious? Time to reconsider.

Joe Mullen, the 6th highest American scorer all-time in the NHL, started on roller skates. He didn't learn to skate on ice until he was 10. David Levin, the first pick in the OHL draft last year, grew up in Israel playing roller. He didn't learn to skate on ice until he moved to Canada when he was 12.

It's a lot easier--and cheaper--to find places to skate outside on rollers in the summer time than inside on ice. Going to an on ice clinic and getting 20 reps in an hour is a complete waste if you don't practice what you learn. Using roller skates is a great way to get that practice.

We still talking about Roller hockey?