Visit The DBoard Online Store - https://www.cafepress.com/icehockeydboard

Click Here to Visit Our Facebook Page

email: icehockeydboard@yahoo.com

Youth Hockey
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
New England Sports Village

Anyone know when this location will be up and running?

Re: New England Sports Village

It's set to open Mid September - Early October.

Went went by today. Not opening anytime soon.

Anon
It's set to open Mid September - Early October.

Mid-September not possible, there is no structure up, no frame, no nothing. Probably looking at sometime in 2017.

Move the NAHL team to The Bog? Not a lot of junior hockey going on there.

Hey Giants, enjoy your once a week practices in Raynham shared with the Knights.....well worth the $3,800.....

When will rink open?

Jan

Have they stated it or is that just a thought. There is no way an NAHL team is going to be waiting until January to start charging admission to games when their overhead is something like $750k a year.

anon
Have they stated it or is that just a thought. There is no way an NAHL team is going to be waiting until January to start charging admission to games when their overhead is something like $750k a year.
It's just some guy's SWAG. Why he would think that has any value I have no idea.

Avg Attendance in NAHL is 1,400 per game. That will be a tough gate to achieve here in the northeast. Even at avg ticket price of $10 for say 30 home games = $420,000. Corporate sponsorship, advertising/marketing, concessions. Maybe have a youth program, rent ice, etc. May be a tough nut to crack.

Hope it works out.

Commish
Avg Attendance in NAHL is 1,400 per game. That will be a tough gate to achieve here in the northeast. Even at avg ticket price of $10 for say 30 home games = $420,000. Corporate sponsorship, advertising/marketing, concessions. Maybe have a youth program, rent ice, etc. May be a tough nut to crack.

Hope it works out.

I can't imagine a spreadsheet that shows that a NAHL team would make a profit around here. Way too much competition with college teams, AHL, etc. If they get 100 people to games I would be shocked.

I'm says that franchise is worth 750K? Average franchise is worth 300k idiot. That's a terrible league so they get $10 at the gate an average attendance is 200. Do the math buddy.

Anon
I'm says that franchise is worth 750K? Average franchise is worth 300k idiot. That's a terrible league so they get $10 at the gate an average attendance is 200. Do the math buddy.

I wish them well, but do not see how they generate enough cash flow to make it work! Also, it does not seem like their coaches or management are high end hockey people. No disrespect intended, but they seems to lack any well established hockey people from the region. I could be wrong, but this is my sense.

Agree, early choice of players is a bit of a head scratcher too. The annual operating budget was stated as $750k, not the value of the team.

still, the guy is an idiot and clearly you have no clue to cost. blowhards on here spouting off on things they know nothing of. operating budget is the cost to run the business, which, in order to stay in business, needs to be lower than revenues. crazy stuff here. so i'll humor you. 750k with average of 60 games, 100 practices, apparel, travel and off ice. 24 players and some coaches. this means it must cost the players $31,250 a year to play, just for the program to break even....here is the real breakdown jerky...

League & Tourney Fees - $20k
Practice ice - $30k
Travel (which players pay for on top of tuition so not an Op cost) - $10k(coaches only)
Off-ice - $10k
Games (ice, officials, scorekeeper, film) - $30k
Team EMT/Trainor - $5k
Gear (coaches, players buy own) - $5k
Coaches salaries - $80k

Total OpEx for a standard run of the mill junior team is ballpark = $175k...which is $8k per player...which, with average tuition being 9k - 10k yields the owners somewhere around $25k - $50k per profit per team. Other factors to consider are if the club owns their own facilities or not, but most don't. The program you are referring to at the new rinks could be sold overnight for $200k, about the top value...

Keep in mind the USHL is no pay so that's a different ball game, more in line with the $750k quoted....not your Tier 3 Juniors teams.

Youth EHF teams average $10k - $12k profit per team, some as high as $15k.

Consider this your business lesson of the day.

anon
still, the guy is an idiot and clearly you have no clue to cost. blowhards on here spouting off on things they know nothing of. operating budget is the cost to run the business, which, in order to stay in business, needs to be lower than revenues. crazy stuff here. so i'll humor you. 750k with average of 60 games, 100 practices, apparel, travel and off ice. 24 players and some coaches. this means it must cost the players $31,250 a year to play, just for the program to break even....here is the real breakdown jerky...

League & Tourney Fees - $20k
Practice ice - $30k
Travel (which players pay for on top of tuition so not an Op cost) - $10k(coaches only)
Off-ice - $10k
Games (ice, officials, scorekeeper, film) - $30k
Team EMT/Trainor - $5k
Gear (coaches, players buy own) - $5k
Coaches salaries - $80k

Total OpEx for a standard run of the mill junior team is ballpark = $175k...which is $8k per player...which, with average tuition being 9k - 10k yields the owners somewhere around $25k - $50k per profit per team. Other factors to consider are if the club owns their own facilities or not, but most don't. The program you are referring to at the new rinks could be sold overnight for $200k, about the top value...

Keep in mind the USHL is no pay so that's a different ball game, more in line with the $750k quoted....not your Tier 3 Juniors teams.

Youth EHF teams average $10k - $12k profit per team, some as high as $15k.

NAHL is Tier 2 and therefore covers all travel and expenses similar to that of the USHL minus the Billet fees, Sir.

Guy is so smart!

Keep in mind the NAHL is no pay so that's a different ball game, more in line with the $750k quoted...

Most Junior programs own the rink so therefore they sell off hours ice usually 3 PM in the afternoon, which is just extra revenue, plus the coach is a full time employee and must run other rink programs 12 months out of the year plus run the zamboni. 20K fee is too high, so the actually cost to run a junior program is about 60 to 80k.
Consider this your real business lesson of the day.
What a loser.

There is only one juniors program in this country that is no pay. That is the USHL, which is tier one, the only tier one league in this country. NAHL is a pay league you dopes. Do some research before you type anything bozo.

Anon
There is only one juniors program in this country that is no pay. That is the USHL, which is tier one, the only tier one league in this country. NAHL is a pay league you dopes. Do some research before you type anything bozo.

You are wrong! It is tier 2 and is not pay to play

Anon

Hey Bozo, where did you get your info?

After doing some heavy research ( copying and pasting the front page of the leagues website) I was able to find the following:

From the NAHL Website:

Celebrating its 41st season in 2016-17, the NAHL, the only USA Hockey-sanctioned Tier II Junior league boasting 24 teams in 12 states from across North America, prides itself on the social maturity and skill development of student-athletes ages 16-20 with aspirations of advancing to collegiate and/or professional hockey.

The NAHL offers junior hockey players the opportunity to develop, learn, train, grow and succeed, while playing for free.

Unfortunately for you Joey Sweatpants, the free tuition does not apply to the NA3HL, where I am sure Joey Jr ends up after playing Division 7 HS hockey. The good thing is someday he can tell people he played Jr hockey

One of the things I like about these Boards is we find out exactly how many idiots we're dealing with in rinks. My guess is that people like the know-it-alls that post here just keep their mouths shut most of the time. They think these thoughts but they don't offer them up. Here, the anonymity gives them confidence and we find out exactly how stupid they really are.

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt.
- Abraham Lincoln

Anon
One of the things I like about these Boards is we find out exactly how many idiots we're dealing with in rinks. My guess is that people like the know-it-alls that post here just keep their mouths shut most of the time. They think these thoughts but they don't offer them up. Here, the anonymity gives them confidence and we find out exactly how stupid they really are.

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt.
- Abraham Lincoln

Ah, perched up on your Ivory Tower, eh? Must be a nice view?

Are you the same guy who also blasted the OP for not doing his research?

Anon
Anon

- Abraham Lincoln

Ah, perched up on your Ivory Tower, eh? Must be a nice view?

So what the guy is saying is that the NAHL, despite all of the previous reputation and comments is: a) not a great league and b) the players do in fact 'pay to play.'

On point 'a,' yes I've heard the talent is spread around so there are no more than a few good / D-1 quality players per team. Either it is by design or there just aren't enough of these players to support such a big league.

On point 'b,' the league being a 'pay to play' league is contrary to what I have heard over the past 10-12 years. It is also addressed on the league's own website in the 'FAQ' tab -

Q - "Do players have to pay-to-play in the NAHL?"

A - "No. As the only USA Hockey-sanctioned Tier II Junior league, players do not pay to play in the NAHL."

Q - "What do NAHL teams pay for?"

A - "NAHL teams pay for all players' ice time (practices and games), as well as all travel costs incurred while traveling for games and tournaments, including meals and hotels."

Q - "Is equipment supplied and paid for by NAHL teams?"

A - "Most equipment is supplied and paid for by NAHL teams, including sticks, gloves, pants, jerseys, socks and helmets."

Q - "What are NAHL players responsible to pay for?"

A - "In additional to personal expenses, NAHL players are responsible for a monthly fee -- an estimated $300 a month -- to cover room and board at the player's billet home. That money is paid to the billet family to cover living expenses (food, etc.)"

http://nahl.com/play-in-the-nahl/nahl-recruiting-faq.cfm

wasn't this originally about the date this place is going to open?

Yeah and it quickly morphed into 'if an organization is spending $750k a year to have a beachhead junior team in this area then we should be pretty convinced the rink will be ready for Squirt hockey.'

Team and rink both finally acknowledge rink will NOT open in time for the season. tickets for home opener being sold on team site for venue NOT Attleboro.

anon
Team and rink both finally acknowledge rink will NOT open in time for the season. tickets for home opener being sold on team site for venue NOT Attleboro.

They are already selling tickets?

I'll take my chances and wait until game day

Took a ride by the rink today no way will it be ready it's not even fully framed yet and no exterior walls.