email: icehockeydboard@yahoo.com

Youth Hockey
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Summer Camps

anon
I'm done with Dynamic - great if you want to be a figure skater instead of a hockey player. I'm done with them for good - way too little intensity and way too much edge work. My kid never once broke a sweat. My ideal camp is lots of reps, sweaty helmet and plenty of situational hockey stations. If Dynamic top mgmt isn't running the camp, it is worse with their college aged staffers.

I know I type this on a weekly basis here, but.... this is the stupidest thing I have heard on here yet !

Lovell Hockey Camp.

Starting next week in Stonham & Hingham. www.lovellhockey.com

By far the best skill development

This is the worst place to get advice! the same clown whose kid probably plays for the breakers will tell you Lovell sucks

Anon
This is the worst place to get advice! the same clown whose kid probably plays for the breakers will tell you Lovell sucks
Poster's right. An internet discussion board is no place for people to voice their opinions so that the reader can decide for themselves who's sharing knowledge and who's full of *****

Everyone knows Al Gore invented the internet so people can watch cat videos.

Pothier in bridgewater if you can get there. Been to them all, he's the best.

Anon
Really? What NHL Development Camp is he working at? Cause there are three area skills guys that are.

But hey, what do all those NHL teams know?

Anon

Thanks Brian.

anon
Lovell Hockey Camp.

Starting next week in Stonham & Hingham. www.lovellhockey.com

By far the best skill development

Agree. And to the guy who wants boarding for his kid who will be on the ice for 1.5 hours a day, I'd take Hingham over Stoneham. Nantasket Beach in the afternoon, a couple Wahlburgers and then Jakes for dinner. Maybe Timmy will put the kid up, lord knows he has room. Does your kid mind mowing a very large yard?

Dynamic is the leaders in the industry. The people who dog the program have never been there. If you listen to the way stride is broken down and constant reps with knowledgeable staff than you would understand.
If your to cheap to kick in $1,000 then keep sending your kids to other camps like Lovell, Carter, Pro Ambition and have highschool kids watch your kids go around cones with bad posture and let them do what ever they want. Than go for it. Those camps cost around $250.

Silly to bad mouth other groups. Lovell and their results speak for themselves, no need to bash the.

To me it's a north shore (Dynamic) and south shore (Lovell) thing. I'm hardly going to spend my summer sitting in Boston traffic so my kid can skate three times a week on the other side of town.

There are more good camps than just Dynamic and Lovell. Greg Carter is absolutely fine for Squirt age kids. And there are other camps that are fine for older players, like Paul Vincent and Pertti Hasanen.

The key to Pro Ambitions is to sign up for Defense With Jeff. Doesn't matter if your kid plays defense or not. When he's scheduled, he has his best head coaches and his best staff. Did that for several years and had positive experiences each time.

Agree. Proambitions with Jeff or camps at BU awesome.

The Beach. That actually works really well at the squirt level for skill development in the summer

Did you buy a "Sauce Kit?" Great for beach development.

http://www.saucerkinggame.com

Slapper
The Beach. That actually works really well at the squirt level for skill development in the summer
Love guys that think they know how to raise my kid better than I do.

Squirt age is the perfect time to start sending your kid to a boarding camp for a week every summer. Fosters independence and self-reliance. Really important developmentally, especially in this era of helicopter parenting.

So, why not hockey? Beats getting poison ivy and eaten by mosquitos at some YMCA camp.

my favorite is this time of the year when all the town parents who told me that club hockey is too much money to spend on hockey are telling me their kid is at "this" week long boarding camp, or "this" summer camp program for $1700 or $2000.

so you will spend $1300 for town hockey and $2000 for a week long development camp but you don't want to spend $3000 for a full season of development ????

mind boggling

boarding camps are a great experience and one of the best things I did as a pee wee or bantam, bit don't skimp for 8 months and splurge for a week and expect results !

Many elite ehf teams have no skills at practices so your paying for better competition. Summer camps kids can improve dramatically.

Agree with this. At this age (U12 and under) there *should* be significant emphasis on developing individual skills. But all too often that becomes an afterthought as "systems" are prioritized in the name of ranking high by the time the first snowflake falls. Moreover between hockey and schoolwork, there's little time for outside skill development during the season. So summer is the time to build those skating, stickhandling, shooting skills-- whether you do it in a driveway or at an expensive camp. Dynamic looks great. Also have heard good things about Paul Vincent.

PHP
Agree with this. At this age (U12 and under) there *should* be significant emphasis on developing individual skills. But all too often that becomes an afterthought as "systems" are prioritized in the name of ranking high by the time the first snowflake falls. Moreover between hockey and schoolwork, there's little time for outside skill development during the season. So summer is the time to build those skating, stickhandling, shooting skills-- whether you do it in a driveway or at an expensive camp. Dynamic looks great. Also have heard good things about Paul Vincent.

They should be doing skills everytime they are on the ice and if the Coach is just practicing the kids "skating in their lanes" or where to stand on the power play then you are wasting your kids development over the winter. If your playing for a team with this mentality at U12 you need to jump ship because he is not helping your kid.

Anon
PHP

They should be doing skills everytime they are on the ice and if the Coach is just practicing the kids "skating in their lanes" or where to stand on the power play then you are wasting your kids development over the winter. If your playing for a team with this mentality at U12 you need to jump ship because he is not helping your kid.
We realized at U12/PeeWee that if you really want your kid to develop, you'd better be working on skills outside of the team. There won't be proper emphasis on edgework and fundamentals in team practices. The ratio is just too high for the kids to get the individual attention on weaknesses they need. You're just ingraining bad habits doing lap after lap around cones.

And, there's nowhere to jump ship to. The overemphasis on winning has taken hold everywhere, especially on the elite teams. The coaches and program directors don't care about developing your kid. If they have to replace him next year, they will.

Anon
Anon
PHP

We realized at U12/PeeWee that if you really want your kid to develop, you'd better be working on skills outside of the team. There won't be proper emphasis on edgework and fundamentals in team practices. The ratio is just too high for the kids to get the individual attention on weaknesses they need. You're just ingraining bad habits doing lap after lap around cones.

And, there's nowhere to jump ship to. The overemphasis on winning has taken hold everywhere, especially on the elite teams. The coaches and program directors don't care about developing your kid. If they have to replace him next year, they will.

Not true. There are very good elite teams out there that run skill-based practices at the expense of systems. The key is finding one and staying, not leaving to chase rankings.