Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: " the Brick"

Anon
i read therefore i reply
anon
True about lacrosse moving in on baseball programs in terms of popularity. This also coincides with a cultural shift away from competition and accountability for our youth. Baseball is difficult, and players are individually accountable for making mistakes since it is such an individual game. Many boys raised in this current climate are too soft to persevere in this sport, and therefore turn to games like lacrosse where their performance is not so easily evaluated by their coaches or peers, and they can pass themselves off as serviceable (or even excellent) without anybody really even knowing the difference. Watch a baseball game for 10 minutes and you know who all the stiffs are.

baseball is also BORING. if you are not the pitcher or catcher you spend most of the game doing NOTHING. and god forbid you are a lefty.

of course you prefer baseball because your child can stand out all the more, rather than say a team sport which you have to rely on others (like the real world).

Striking out or booting a grounder is a lot more pressure than blending in with a field full of Giffs and Biffs or Muffy and Stuffy!

Blending in!! Ha that is why our country is in rough shape! People are more concerned about how many likes they get on facebook than differentiating oneself from the pack. Lemmings! Know where they end up, right?

There's truth to this. Is it coincidence that the Greatest Generation grew up on baseball, and only as our country fell out of love with baseball did we start to get soft?

anon
Anon
i read therefore i reply
anon
True about lacrosse moving in on baseball programs in terms of popularity. This also coincides with a cultural shift away from competition and accountability for our youth. Baseball is difficult, and players are individually accountable for making mistakes since it is such an individual game. Many boys raised in this current climate are too soft to persevere in this sport, and therefore turn to games like lacrosse where their performance is not so easily evaluated by their coaches or peers, and they can pass themselves off as serviceable (or even excellent) without anybody really even knowing the difference. Watch a baseball game for 10 minutes and you know who all the stiffs are.

baseball is also BORING. if you are not the pitcher or catcher you spend most of the game doing NOTHING. and god forbid you are a lefty.

of course you prefer baseball because your child can stand out all the more, rather than say a team sport which you have to rely on others (like the real world).

Striking out or booting a grounder is a lot more pressure than blending in with a field full of Giffs and Biffs or Muffy and Stuffy!

Blending in!! Ha that is why our country is in rough shape! People are more concerned about how many likes they get on facebook than differentiating oneself from the pack. Lemmings! Know where they end up, right?

There's truth to this. Is it coincidence that the Greatest Generation grew up on baseball, and only as our country fell out of love with baseball did we start to get soft?

A lot of kids fall out of love with baseball because of the speed and pace of the game. All of these other sports are pretty much timed out to fill an hour or maybe a little more. I've been to youth baseball games that have gone easily past two and a half hours. The difficulty of becoming good at baseball surely plays a part for some kids dropping out but they want action and lacrosse and soccer deliver it in a way baseball does not.

anon
Anon
i read therefore i reply
anon

They grew up on baseball because all you needed was a stick , .25 ball and some trash for bases. it was the most accessible sport to play. Every other sport, besides soccer, requires more equipment to play. It was not because Baseball is some iconic sport that transcends time. People didnt become soft because we fell out of love with baseball. Its because we are now into a second generation of ME, ME ,ME. Kids Raised in broken families and with too many fatherless kids.

Anon
Anon
Anon
^Get a life. Who gives a **** if a kid (who is not yours) likes lacrosse as his favorite sport? I wish I had it around when I was younger. It is a great sport to watch your kids play.

Lacrosse is a great sport to watch for all you non-athletic wine and cheese folks, who like to watch lax games in between trips to Nantucket!

I will take baseball and the Vineyard all day long

It's more difficult to throw and hit a baseball but you have to be a better athlete (i.e. run) to play lacrosse.

Lacrosse is certainly not anything like field hockey when the kids get older. Very physical game that requires a fair amount of skill to be good.

In a lot of towns it is baseball's equal if not surpassing it in popularity.

This could be the dumbest thing written on the Dboard today.

Please explain how running up and down a field requires more athleticism than hitting a baseball.

Anon
Anon
Anon
Anon
^Get a life. Who gives a **** if a kid (who is not yours) likes lacrosse as his favorite sport? I wish I had it around when I was younger. It is a great sport to watch your kids play.

Lacrosse is a great sport to watch for all you non-athletic wine and cheese folks, who like to watch lax games in between trips to Nantucket!

It's more difficult to throw and hit a baseball but you have to be a better athlete (i.e. run) to play lacrosse.

Lacrosse is certainly not anything like field hockey when the kids get older. Very physical game that requires a fair amount of skill to be good.

Please explain how running up and down a field requires more athleticism than hitting a baseball.
Haha, I was thinking the same thing.

Soccer has passed baseball, too. Because you can just run up and down the field, without any real skill or athletic ability, and blend in if you have the same kit as the other players. Find the most non-competitive individual you can, and find out what team sport they played when last forced to, either by parents or by their school. It's probably soccer and lacrosse.

Sure, there are skilled players in any sport. But there are going to be more unskilled players in sports that don't require specialized skills.

News flash hitting a baseball is not hard. Any fat guy with ok hand eye coordination can hit a baseball but if Tons cant make it to first, whats the difference. Saying Soccer and Lacrosse each dont need athletic ability is just Ridiculous and shows your ignorance of the games.

anon
News flash hitting a baseball is not hard. Any fat guy with ok hand eye coordination can hit a baseball but if Tons cant make it to first, whats the difference. Saying Soccer and Lacrosse each dont need athletic ability is just Ridiculous and shows your ignorance of the games.
You seem to equate being an athlete with being able to run. Anyone can run. We were born to run. The ability to put one foot in front of the other, repeatedly, doesn't make you an athlete. Go to any marathon seven hours after it's started and watch all the non-athletes finish their 26.2 mile slog.

Anon
anon
You seem to equate being an athlete with being able to run. Anyone can run. We were born to run. The ability to put one foot in front of the other, repeatedly, doesn't make you an athlete. Go to any marathon seven hours after it's started and watch all the non-athletes finish their 26.2 mile slog.

The highway's jammed with broken heroes on a last chance power drive...

Anon
Anon
anon

The highway's jammed with broken heroes on a last chance power drive...

Glory Days! In the wink of a young girls eye!

anon

I guess all that time you spent practicing your hitting instead of studying didn't pay off for you. In baseball or for your writing skills.

Anon
anon

I guess all that time you spent practicing your hitting instead of studying didn't pay off for you. In baseball or for your writing skills.

actually both are excellent but since i am not writing my thesis on the Dboard i could care less what you think of my writing skills. Enjoy your moms basement loser.

anon
Anon
anon

actually both are excellent but since i am not writing my thesis on the Dboard i could care less what you think of my writing skills. Enjoy your moms basement loser.

That would be; "enjoy your mothers basement, loser. You need the comma!

anon

Michael Jordan was one of the greatest athletes of all time and could not even come close to hitting a baseball in low A ball!

Anon
Anon
Anon
Anon
Anon

Haha, I was thinking the same thing.

Soccer has passed baseball, too. Because you can just run up and down the field, without any real skill or athletic ability, and blend in if you have the same kit as the other players. Find the most non-competitive individual you can, and find out what team sport they played when last forced to, either by parents or by their school. It's probably soccer and lacrosse.

Sure, there are skilled players in any sport. But there are going to be more unskilled players in sports that don't require specialized skills.

Says the probably 300+lb "athlete" who only played baseball growing up, because he didn't want to "just run up and down the field"! Try running up and down the field dribbling a soccer ball at full speed, alternating feet, getting around a defender, then putting it top corner....just try it, once...go ahead, go home tonight, borrow the neighbor's ball and try it! Let me know how it goes!

Anon
I'm glad you enjoy it. My world isn't a different or better place because of the growth of lacrosse. It looks an awful lot like field hockey to me, without the ergonomically challenged equipment.

It also seems to be popular because, like soccer, there's no barrier to entry.

That's what sets hockey, baseball and golf apart. You can't just walk out the door and play them.

Anon
Anon
I'm glad you enjoy it. My world isn't a different or better place because of the growth of lacrosse. It looks an awful lot like field hockey to me, without the ergonomically challenged equipment.

That's what sets hockey, baseball and golf apart. You can't just walk out the door and play them.

It is just like Field hockey but less physical

Anon
Anon

Wow, your kid sounds awesome!

Anon
Anon
Anon

Wow, your kid sounds awesome!
Wow, I didn't mention my kid.

Maybe you should have your kid read you the posts and write your replies for you so they make more sense.

wow, this guy is as awesome as his kid who is too good for lacrosse!

$
my son is a hell of a hockey player. He is also considered a great athlete and does well in baseball, golf, lacrosse and football.

What hockey team does he play for and what Football team does he play for ?

Islanders and Lynnfield youth football. Now you are going to spend hours trying to figure out who I am.

anon
Islanders and Lynnfield youth football. Now you are going to spend hours trying to figure out who I am.

Nah, I wont go that far. I did spend a second to google where "Lynffield" is though.

I was curious because I thought football and Hockey schedules would conflict, but when you have a stud that excels in both I guess you make it work ?

Several posters have understood my point. It does not take much to have a "kid" excel in lacrosse, and any kids who understands hockey and can run will do well. I was just stating that I would rather hear from a parent that there kid is a "decent" player, but when they say "his primary sport is lacrosse and he is good, I know that means they are probably not a decent hockey player.

Its all perspective... I continuously hear about how "my kid is a baseball all star" and is a "good ball player" and then are shocked to hear my kid doesn't make an all star team because he plays in an area that has three leagues and plays in the strongest one, even though he is a better ball player than six other all star baseball players on his hockey team. Its evident that it is all relative when our 9,10,11 and 12 year old all stars go undefeated on a consistent weekend basis by ten run leads year in and year out. Its also evident every regular season game when my kid plays over two "all star" that are a year older.

So I am not impressed by parents labeling their kids "all stars", "Elite Players" or "good lacrosse players" because all three mean ZERO !!!

Previous poster correct. All-star means nothing until you know the size of the pond the kid is swimming in.

anon
Anon
anon
Exactly what right do any of you losers on this board have to tell me what i should and should not do with My money. If i want to spend $10,000 on a hockey tournament and i have the money then guess what, Screw you. I am going to do it. If my kid wants to go to a great hockey tournament or Disney or Europe or or do one on one skills then that's what he is going to get to do. Just because you cant afford to do these things doesn't mean i should not be able to do them. This is why this country is going to crap. Mind your own business and worry about you. Maybe your lives will be happier instead of being jealous of what others have.

Ha, ha Jealous? Seriously? You think that is what this is? The only people laughing harder than us are the owners of these programs!!!

The reason this country is going to crap is because of people like you! Give your kids everything and then wonder why they are self centered, entitled lil sh**ts.

Jealous? Yeah, we are jealous of the the guy who blows $20,000 on a trip to Disney and one hockey tournament!

PT Barnum wouldn't believe this!

You can laugh while your kid is getting cut and has to rely on mommy and daddy still telling him he is special. That is why our country is going to crap. Everyone gets a trophy and people like you "laugh" because people like me can afford to do these things. Not because of the "self centered" kid who happens to get straight A's in school and works hard at his camps and lessons and works hard to be on a good team. He gets rewarded for that behavior. Not because he showed up and mommy and daddy congratulated him for his "hard work" and then complained about politics when he didnt make it.

Wow, your kid sounds pretty special! I think he deserves a trip to Europe!

Funny though, you seem awfully angry for such a proud man! Is it because deep down you feel like a chump or is it because you live in a wealthy community where you and your peeps all quietly resent each other?

In any case, yes we do tell our child he is special! He is! He's ours! Not because he is a very good athlete or student, which he certainly is, but because he is a good person and works hard!

I think he has earned a trip to our public rink and a few hours at our local beach and I will keep my $20k Slappy

Anon
anon
Anon
anon
Exactly what right do any of you losers on this board have to tell me what i should and should not do with My money. If i want to spend $10,000 on a hockey tournament and i have the money then guess what, Screw you. I am going to do it. If my kid wants to go to a great hockey tournament or Disney or Europe or or do one on one skills then that's what he is going to get to do. Just because you cant afford to do these things doesn't mean i should not be able to do them. This is why this country is going to crap. Mind your own business and worry about you. Maybe your lives will be happier instead of being jealous of what others have.

Ha, ha Jealous? Seriously? You think that is what this is? The only people laughing harder than us are the owners of these programs!!!

The reason this country is going to crap is because of people like you! Give your kids everything and then wonder why they are self centered, entitled lil sh**ts.

Jealous? Yeah, we are jealous of the the guy who blows $20,000 on a trip to Disney and one hockey tournament!

You can laugh while your kid is getting cut and has to rely on mommy and daddy still telling him he is special. That is why our country is going to crap. Everyone gets a trophy and people like you "laugh" because people like me can afford to do these things. Not because of the "self centered" kid who happens to get straight A's in school and works hard at his camps and lessons and works hard to be on a good team. He gets rewarded for that behavior. Not because he showed up and mommy and daddy congratulated him for his "hard work" and then complained about politics when he didnt make it.

Funny though, you seem awfully angry for such a proud man! Is it because deep down you feel like a chump or is it because you live in a wealthy community where you and your peeps all quietly resent each other?

In any case, yes we do tell our child he is special! He is! He's ours! Not because he is a very good athlete or student, which he certainly is, but because he is a good person and works hard!

I think he has earned a trip to our public rink and a few hours at our local beach and I will keep my $20k Slappy

Actually we are very happy laughing at losers like yourself who have to try and put people down because you don't have and can't get what i have. I do not resent my rich neighbors like you obviously do. And my kid may get that trip to europe. He May not. His fate still depends on his grades and work ethic because no mater what you think, My kid still needs to work hard to earn what he gets. Just because he can earn more doesnt make him a snob or a brat. It just means his parents worked hard and built something we can pass down.

anon
Anon
anon
Anon
anon

Actually we are very happy laughing at losers like yourself who have to try and put people down because you don't have and can't get what i have. I do not resent my rich neighbors like you obviously do. And my kid may get that trip to europe. He May not. His fate still depends on his grades and work ethic because no mater what you think, My kid still needs to work hard to earn what he gets. Just because he can earn more doesnt make him a snob or a brat. It just means his parents worked hard and built something we can pass down.

PT Barnum!

I love you shallow, hollow people. Life imitating Art! Reality show comes to life. Send the camera crew to the next $10k youth hockey tournament. It is like Dance Moms with hockey sticks!

Laugin & Lyin

Anon
anon
Anon
anon
Anon
anon

PT Barnum!

I love you shallow, hollow people. Life imitating Art! Reality show comes to life. Send the camera crew to the next $10k youth hockey tournament. It is like Dance Moms with hockey sticks!

Laugin & Lyin

The Ratings though would be through the roof. Sign me up!

anon
Anon
Anon
I'd rather use the money to fund another three years of youth hockey. I think the aggregate experience of three years worth of youth hockey memories would far outweigh a week of tournament hockey in Canada, doesn't matter what tournament it is or how good the players are.
Those aren't the "either/or" choices I would have picked.

How about play in one tournament or buy 85 hours of 1 on 1 skills?

Once again, if you want your kid to get better then of course the 85 hours of 1 on 1 skills would be a better choice. If you want your kid to have fantastic memories of playing in the best youth hockey tournament in the world then you go to the Brick. Go ask any kid that has played in the Brick and ask them if they would do it again and 100% will say it was the best hockey experience they have ever had.

Experiences are really important and not to be minimized, but hard work, dedication, commitment will open more doors to increase your opportunities to have more experiences without spending a kings ransom. To spend $8,500 on a hockey tournament for your 12 year old seems a little out of whack! Can you imagine anyone of us asking our parents to spend that kind of money back in the day (1975-1995, inflation adjusted of course)??

It just seems like parents are more comfortable providing their kids with the "best that money will buy". Then again, if the money is not an issue and you can still keep your kid grounded, why not enjoy it??

Anon
anon
Anon
Anon
I'd rather use the money to fund another three years of youth hockey. I think the aggregate experience of three years worth of youth hockey memories would far outweigh a week of tournament hockey in Canada, doesn't matter what tournament it is or how good the players are.

Once again, if you want your kid to get better then of course the 85 hours of 1 on 1 skills would be a better choice. If you want your kid to have fantastic memories of playing in the best youth hockey tournament in the world then you go to the Brick. Go ask any kid that has played in the Brick and ask them if they would do it again and 100% will say it was the best hockey experience they have ever had.

Experiences are really important and not to be minimized, but hard work, dedication, commitment will open more doors to increase your opportunities to have more experiences without spending a kings ransom. To spend $8,500 on a hockey tournament for your 12 year old seems a little out of whack! Can you imagine anyone of us asking our parents to spend that kind of money back in the day (1975-1995, inflation adjusted of course)??

It just seems like parents are more comfortable providing their kids with the "best that money will buy". Then again, if the money is not an issue and you can still keep your kid grounded, why not enjoy it??

I spent the same amount of money on a trip to Disney. Ask my kid what he had more fun at - Disney or the Brick and he will honestly tell you the Brick tournament.

anon
Anon
anon
Anon
Anon

I spent the same amount of money on a trip to Disney. Ask my kid what he had more fun at - Disney or the Brick and he will honestly tell you the Brick tournament.

Bad comparison. Disney is the worst! Go to the Orlando Airport and difference is striking between the families Arriving and Departing!! The most expensive beat down ever!

Youth hockey is like owning a boat, "B.O.A.T. - Bring Out Another Thousand." Money is no object and never try to make economic sense of it...you can't.

Anon
Youth hockey is like owning a boat, "B.O.A.T. - Bring Out Another Thousand." Money is no object and never try to make economic sense of it...you can't.

Agreed, but the real questions is how best to allocate those thousands you spend?

Anon
Anon

Agreed, but the real questions is how best to allocate those thousands you spend?

Yes!

Anon
anon
Anon
Anon

Except they are 10. Makes your point even stronger.

my son was fortunate enough to play in "the brick" 15 or so yrs ago. still talks about it to this day as one of the most fun things he's ever done. its different for all kids i'd imagine. my son went on to play prep school sports, did junior hockey here and in canada and played hockey in college. that's a lot of hockey but truly still lists the brick among his most fun times in the sport. there are probably no less than 20 kids that played in that tournament in the NHL right now including one boy from his team who's a legit star in the league. countless others in the minors and who played college hockey at various levels. if you can afford the trip i highly recommend it, (must be even better now), it's a ton of fun, the production is top notch and the kids are treated like stars. if you have to take a second mortgage to do it, i'd say pass. it's a great memory and fun time but it comes at a price. for out family it was a great decision and wonderful memory.
just my opinion

Good for you and your kid. It might not be for everyone but it sounds like it worked for you.