Click Here to Visit Our Facebook Page

email: icehockeydboard@yahoo.com

Youth Hockey
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: E9 U14 How many teams?

It all changes at Bantam Major/U14. League no longer matters. Team designation no longer matters. Outside of the few teams good enough to try to qualify for Nattys, winning and losing doesn't even matter. That's why you see so many parents scoffing at the threads about 10/11/12 year old hockey and who is going to beat who.

All that the kids and parents think about is getting ready for HS. For some, that's the 2nd half of the U14 season, and they will leave their U14 team in the 2nd half. For others, it's their last year of full season "youth" hockey. Some will also be interested in trying out for or applying to prep / CC schools.

My kid was full season U14 EHF both years. Everything changed the second half. The teams that were good in H1 weren't in H2 because a lot of their better players moved on. I'm sure it's the same in E9.

1/2 season U14 is E9 for the original 6 or 7 teams when this league started a couple of years ago, then my guess is they will have a full season u14 division in place of the 2002 division from last season.

The new thing now is teams are looking for 02 in 8th grade and 03 to form full season teams, the parents of 03 think their kids are elite jump at it cuz if little johnny fails they can say they are playing up and also can tell people that their kid was too good for the 03 its a win/win for the parents to keep justifying paying more money.

anon
The new thing now is teams are looking for 02 in 8th grade and 03 to form full season teams, the parents of 03 think their kids are elite jump at it cuz if little johnny fails they can say they are playing up and also can tell people that their kid was too good for the 03 its a win/win for the parents to keep justifying paying more money.
Ummm, it isn't new. It's the primary driven behind the "U" designation that started first with the girls many years ago and then with the boys four years ago. There used to be the stigma your referring to that kids playing up were being pushed by their parents. In reality, some kids are just ready sooner, physically and otherwise.

I moved my kid to U14 when he was 12 going on 13 because he was big (still is) and was getting contact to the head penalties from just going into the corners against smaller kids. He did fine. I never pretended he was "super elite" because he played "up."

When he was 14 he started playing U18, meaning he was playing against kids the same age as he plays against in HS. It just made sense - for him.

Sorry your kid got cut.

and when you kid was 18 and out of high school he was playing with 30 year olds in the beer league what a loser.

anon
and when you kid was 18 and out of high school he was playing with 30 year olds in the beer league what a loser.
Haha, you may be right. But at least he'll never have a dad that is jealous of other people's kids.