Click Here to Visit Our Facebook Page

email: icehockeydboard@yahoo.com

Youth Hockey
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Boston Hockey League

It's pathetic that people own youth hockey leagues and youth hockey teams. For the generations that grew up with, played and volunteered in, and enjoyed youth hockey and developed into young athletes and in some cases, wonderful players who reached the top of the game, it's the ultimate insult to the many thousands of parents and coaches who over the years volunteered their time and, IN MANY CASES EXPERTISE, to helping kids learn and play the game. The landscape sucks today.

Anon
It's pathetic that people own youth hockey leagues and youth hockey teams. For the generations that grew up with, played and volunteered in, and enjoyed youth hockey and developed into young athletes and in some cases, wonderful players who reached the top of the game, it's the ultimate insult to the many thousands of parents and coaches who over the years volunteered their time and, IN MANY CASES EXPERTISE, to helping kids learn and play the game. The landscape sucks today.
Yeah, capitalism sucks. I'm moving to Russia! Oh, wait...

Youth hockey was all about police back in the 80's. Now it is all about the money. Just figure it out. It is all a game. Just how you look at it

It has nothing to do with capitalism. It has everything to do with ego and control and greed. There's no reason that anyone should own youth hockey programs and make a profit from them. Provide one good reason, just one.

Sorry your kid got cut

Sniper
It has nothing to do with capitalism. It has everything to do with ego and control and greed. There's no reason that anyone should own youth hockey programs and make a profit from them. Provide one good reason, just one.

Ahhhh, so you are a Socalist? Some people believe it or not do not like to work for free. If I have a better product and people are willing to pay for it then that is what makes a 'market.' If my program develops kids and gets them into colleges and finds them opportunities then people are freely willing to spend some money. The money they have made providing a service elsewhere. It's complex; it's capitalism.

anon
Sniper

Ahhhh, so you are a Socalist? Some people believe it or not do not like to work for free. If I have a better product and people are willing to pay for it then that is what makes a 'market.' If my program develops kids and gets them into colleges and finds them opportunities then people are freely willing to spend some money. The money they have made providing a service elsewhere. It's complex; it's capitalism.
Hahaha. People ask me sometimes why I read the D Boards. It's for moments like this one. Good laugh with my morning coffee.

Hey Igor, here, the definition of capitalism. Note the part about private owners controlling things.

cap·i·tal·ism
ˈkapədlˌizəm/
noun
an economic and political system in which a country's trade and industry are controlled by private owners for profit, rather than by the state.

These LEAGUE owners are primarily Rink owners and need to keep the schedule full, i.e ice paid for. Own the league and you control the schedule. Owning the teams is just the " Icing on the Cake!!"

Most of these guys own other businesses or made their money elsewhere. I am sure they enjoy knowing that the kids are developing and having fun, but at the end of the day it is a business. I am probably the most idealistic guy around but even I haven't a problem with an owner making money.

They are playing chess and you and I are playing checkers!

Made me think of an interesting question: Name the last New England Town Hockey player to play in a D-I game let alone receive a scholarship.

6-7 years ago a public school won the Super 8 and many were exclusively town hockey kids (back when you could make a good varsity team coming out of a town program). I think a handful of those kids ran home waiting for D-I schools to contact them and the phone never rang. So as long as the private teams market the kids to the colleges, provide the competition that is required by the college programs and find scholarship $ for kids. . . people will be willing to pay for their services.

anon
Made me think of an interesting question: Name the last New England Town Hockey player to play in a D-I game let alone receive a scholarship.

6-7 years ago a public school won the Super 8 and many were exclusively town hockey kids (back when you could make a good varsity team coming out of a town program). I think a handful of those kids ran home waiting for D-I schools to contact them and the phone never rang. So as long as the private teams market the kids to the colleges, provide the competition that is required by the college programs and find scholarship $ for kids. . . people will be willing to pay for their services.

So that what it is, all these great town players are being missed by all of the college recruiters?? this is about the most ignorant statement I've seen on both the new & old DBoard

As to why kids play at higher levels with coaches that advance their hockey careers is ignorant? O.K. then.

anon
As to why kids play at higher levels with coaches that advance their hockey careers is ignorant? O.K. then.
Didn't make any sense to me, either. It's much harder to get scouted at a public than a Prep. Scouts can see a half dozen prospects at a Prep game, and they also know they can balance academics and athletics, and pay for school (at least partially in most cases).

Do some research. Read an article from time to time. Expand your mind before calling other people ignorant.

Yes I re-read his post and he didn't get it. Then he calls it 'the most ignorant thing ever posted...'

So should no one own disney world since its about kids recreation? Someone has to run it properly.