Click Here to Visit Our Facebook Page

email: icehockeydboard@yahoo.com

Youth Hockey
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Girls playing boys hockey

Until they get cut at tryouts. If you don't like girls on your kids team find another.

All depends on the girl's parents. Some believe they should play with the boys as long as they can compete as equals.

Others prefer they break away once checking/puberty starts.

There was a good article on Players Tribune by a US womens olympian talking about how she was so happy once she was able to get dressed in the actual locker room with her teammates. Interesting to hear the perspective of someone who has been through it.

We have a girl on our team (PW Major - top 20 in US). She typically puts her undergarments on in the restroom, then goes in the locker room to gear up w/ the rest of the boys. No issues to date.....but as everyone matures, it's gotta get a little tough.

There's buzz her parents will have her make the move after this season. On flip side, I know an 02 girl who plays for a top 30 US team. She's a great athlete, has decent size and seems to have no problem.

It's the truly insane parents the girls playing with the boys when checking begins. . . they just refuse to 'get it.' We had one parent who did this in Town Hockey all the way up through Midgets (I think) with a few of his girls and it proved nothing. The girls were good but not great plus they were undersized so it was alway dicey when they were on the ice.

First of all the boys game is a different game. Yes they have sticks and pucks and goalies and ice but the game is totally different - speed, depth, strategies, physical play.... Furthermore the boys treat the girls differently on the ice. Not a single boy wants to even get close to them for fear of hurting them and they get more space because of it. Why learn a game you won't be able to play?

And second it is obviously dangerous and in this age of realizing the dangers of concussions it takes a real careless parent to put their daughter out there. The size differential, the testosterone flowing, the speed of the game with a single innocent high speed collision any player can get hurt and science has shown it takes less impact for a girl to get concussed than a boy.

The only solution is to find the highest level of Girls hockey you can find and have your daughter play there. It's the game she needs to get good at as she will never play D-I Mens hockey; it's safer and she will be treated as an equal.

Any parent who throws their daughter out on the ice with boys and checking should be locked-up.

Delusional Bulldogs mom thinks her little daughter can still hang with the boys. Sad,

Woof
Delusional Bulldogs mom thinks her little daughter can still hang with the boys. Sad,

What's sad is that she's better than your boy. Ha Ha Ha Ha.

Girls will be boys, and boys will be girls.
It's a mixed up, muddled up, shook up world,
Except for Lola. Lo lo lo lo Lola.

All depends. Bottom line. Is it for the kid or parent? My daughter played w boys...then she and her friends wanted to play girls only. So she went with that. It's been awesome. They work together, have great team chemistry and her confidence is through the roof. She's not the best skater, but she's having a blast, smiles, -'d wants to go back to practices and games. And bottoms line, is getting awesome exercise.

for gods saeke, jyou can't have bjoys and girls otgehtrer. it sgoes against nafture

Anon
for gods saeke, jyou can't have bjoys and girls otgehtrer. it sgoes against nafture

Your effort at writing is what goes against nature, my friend.

Anon
What age do they go full time with the girls teams
The short answer: upper level (college) coaches guide a girl should move from boys when they no longer dominate the upper boys team.

My added thoughts as I have a daughter now in HS, who played with the boys FT until after her first year squirt, then the town offered a U12 girls team. I have coached girls (and boys and had girls on boys teams) for several years (club and town) and currently HS (I use a ‘name’ here so I should be recognizable).

Your goal should be the same as the boys: have them loving the game when they enter HS. Yet, especially dads, are convinced to achieve ‘glory’ girls must play against boys. That is very short-sighted, for it overlooks an important piece of the hockey experience: the locker room. That is where bonds are made. Those 30 minutes pre-game then post game are an important part of the experience. This area more than any other will dictate whether your child moves forward. Unlike parents nearly all players are fully aware of their ‘standing’. So a good locker room experience will keep a current middling player around, hopefully to grow into an upper one or at least have a great life time exercise. [an aside: this is where too many coaches ruin it with either lengthy tedious pre-game plan chats or afterwards with rants instead of pointed comments and then a simple ‘we will work on this together at the next practice’].

So a girl on a bantam team, dresses alone, waits outside for coach (to remember) to let her in (for the pre-game speech), does that awkward walk in looking (praying) for a seat all the while all the boys stare at her to settle in. Then afterwards, she undresses in solitude. No banter. No ‘remember that play’. No teammate to pick her up after a bad game or give a shout out for a good play/game. a/k/a NO FUN.

That is why once your daughter joins a girls team she will never go back, the locker room is now fun.

To ease your fears:
Unlike even just 10 years ago there are plenty of competitive opportunities for girls on all-girl teams. Nearly every club organization has teams at every level (Warriors a noted exception), the Wizards had 5 at the U14 level. Most towns either have a team or have co-op’d with another (especially at the U12 and U14 levels). Most hockey camps have girl only offerings.

While the club league(s) is just as ‘messy’ as the boys. But there is a very well run town level league (which should be emulated by the others): Middlesex Yankee Conference girl’s hockey. It is very large about 160 teams with some of the best area teams. The Valley League has been constantly attempting to ‘dethrone’ them with no success, why? They are run more like club: no weekday games, no early mornings or late nights. The president is VERY communitive and available (she is at EVERY playoff game and you can’t miss her: she signs in the players and all games are held at the Arlington rink). If you have sheets available she will buy them for games. If you have conflicts she will blackout times or days. I worked with her for several years, such a difference v the Valley or [insert club league here].

Why should you care about ‘town’ hockey? Unlike the boys, the girls club teams appear to expect, rather demand you play town: their motto seems to be ‘the more hockey the better’. So you go to that ‘town’ team and in walks club after club player. My last two U14 teams had 15 skaters, at least 12 were club players (you name it, I had it). It gets better. It appears many/most town organizations are so ‘interested’ in getting girls out of their boys teams they make all kinds of concessions including: reduced price, goalie are free and good/flexible practice ice times. So my players were playing 3 games on the weekends (2 club, 1 town) and had 4 practices during the week (2 club, 2 town). Those town games were great as you would often play against your line mate from club. The intensity level for ‘bragging’ rights had many upper level town games rival tournament games. AND unlike boys that shun the lower level player, girls tend to ‘cheer them on’. They will pass to them because that is the play NOT he sucks let me ‘do it all’.

Now the bonuses: The amount of ice my daughter was offered her final U12 and both U14 years was insane. First club, then her town team THEN because town teams are often short players you play with the U14’s (when a 12) then that club line mate asks you to her skate for her town game, oh add in middle school, wait the boys peewee coaches often ask for ‘help’ from our upper players.

Field hockey and lacrosse girls HS coaches relish ice hockey players. Outside of certain powerhouses nearly all field hockey and many lacrosse players are new to the sport when they go to HS. Field hockey coaches drool over the ice hockey player’s aggressive, rejection of pain (yes, that stick and ball hurt) and (frankly) acceptance of being yelled at. Obviously it greatly helps if your child shots righty. If you play ice hockey D then for lacrosse: can’t catch, throw – they don’t care. While not the best assignment my daughter ended up ‘face guarding’ the opponents top scorer. BTW never touched a lacrosse stick until day 1 of tryouts and never in the off-season.

So by moving her now, you not only get her to play HS ice hockey but two others as well.

What should you do now? Start talking with the town team. Most coaches are always recruiting. I would expect them to have you practice with them, the play some games, then… all without additional costs. Then start searching out club teams. You can expect a similar theme.

ABOVE all remember girls are not boys, as they age girls need to be ‘guided’ not ‘demanded of’ to continue a sport. Good luck.

beatcuff
Anon
What age do they go full time with the girls teams
The short answer: upper level (college) coaches guide a girl should move from boys when they no longer dominate the upper boys team.

My added thoughts as I have a daughter now in HS, who played with the boys FT until after her first year squirt, then the town offered a U12 girls team. I have coached girls (and boys and had girls on boys teams) for several years (club and town) and currently HS (I use a ‘name’ here so I should be recognizable).

Your goal should be the same as the boys: have them loving the game when they enter HS. Yet, especially dads, are convinced to achieve ‘glory’ girls must play against boys. That is very short-sighted, for it overlooks an important piece of the hockey experience: the locker room. That is where bonds are made. Those 30 minutes pre-game then post game are an important part of the experience. This area more than any other will dictate whether your child moves forward. Unlike parents nearly all players are fully aware of their ‘standing’. So a good locker room experience will keep a current middling player around, hopefully to grow into an upper one or at least have a great life time exercise. [an aside: this is where too many coaches ruin it with either lengthy tedious pre-game plan chats or afterwards with rants instead of pointed comments and then a simple ‘we will work on this together at the next practice’].

So a girl on a bantam team, dresses alone, waits outside for coach (to remember) to let her in (for the pre-game speech), does that awkward walk in looking (praying) for a seat all the while all the boys stare at her to settle in. Then afterwards, she undresses in solitude. No banter. No ‘remember that play’. No teammate to pick her up after a bad game or give a shout out for a good play/game. a/k/a NO FUN.

That is why once your daughter joins a girls team she will never go back, the locker room is now fun.

To ease your fears:
Unlike even just 10 years ago there are plenty of competitive opportunities for girls on all-girl teams. Nearly every club organization has teams at every level (Warriors a noted exception), the Wizards had 5 at the U14 level. Most towns either have a team or have co-op’d with another (especially at the U12 and U14 levels). Most hockey camps have girl only offerings.

While the club league(s) is just as ‘messy’ as the boys. But there is a very well run town level league (which should be emulated by the others): Middlesex Yankee Conference girl’s hockey. It is very large about 160 teams with some of the best area teams. The Valley League has been constantly attempting to ‘dethrone’ them with no success, why? They are run more like club: no weekday games, no early mornings or late nights. The president is VERY communitive and available (she is at EVERY playoff game and you can’t miss her: she signs in the players and all games are held at the Arlington rink). If you have sheets available she will buy them for games. If you have conflicts she will blackout times or days. I worked with her for several years, such a difference v the Valley or [insert club league here].

Why should you care about ‘town’ hockey? Unlike the boys, the girls club teams appear to expect, rather demand you play town: their motto seems to be ‘the more hockey the better’. So you go to that ‘town’ team and in walks club after club player. My last two U14 teams had 15 skaters, at least 12 were club players (you name it, I had it). It gets better. It appears many/most town organizations are so ‘interested’ in getting girls out of their boys teams they make all kinds of concessions including: reduced price, goalie are free and good/flexible practice ice times. So my players were playing 3 games on the weekends (2 club, 1 town) and had 4 practices during the week (2 club, 2 town). Those town games were great as you would often play against your line mate from club. The intensity level for ‘bragging’ rights had many upper level town games rival tournament games. AND unlike boys that shun the lower level player, girls tend to ‘cheer them on’. They will pass to them because that is the play NOT he sucks let me ‘do it all’.

Now the bonuses: The amount of ice my daughter was offered her final U12 and both U14 years was insane. First club, then her town team THEN because town teams are often short players you play with the U14’s (when a 12) then that club line mate asks you to her skate for her town game, oh add in middle school, wait the boys peewee coaches often ask for ‘help’ from our upper players.

Field hockey and lacrosse girls HS coaches relish ice hockey players. Outside of certain powerhouses nearly all field hockey and many lacrosse players are new to the sport when they go to HS. Field hockey coaches drool over the ice hockey player’s aggressive, rejection of pain (yes, that stick and ball hurt) and (frankly) acceptance of being yelled at. Obviously it greatly helps if your child shots righty. If you play ice hockey D then for lacrosse: can’t catch, throw – they don’t care. While not the best assignment my daughter ended up ‘face guarding’ the opponents top scorer. BTW never touched a lacrosse stick until day 1 of tryouts and never in the off-season.

So by moving her now, you not only get her to play HS ice hockey but two others as well.

What should you do now? Start talking with the town team. Most coaches are always recruiting. I would expect them to have you practice with them, the play some games, then… all without additional costs. Then start searching out club teams. You can expect a similar theme.

ABOVE all remember girls are not boys, as they age girls need to be ‘guided’ not ‘demanded of’ to continue a sport. Good luck.

This is hockey, not War and Peace - OMG

Love it. Criticism for thoughtful answers.

Anon
Love it. Criticism for thoughtful answers.

well its beatcuff's fault for not realizing this is the 'kiddee' board where responses are limited:

'sorry your kid got cut'

'your kid is a bender'

and the classic

'have mom sleep with the coach'

and the hot topic is

'which 09 team is elite'