email: icehockeydboard@yahoo.com

Youth Hockey
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Elite/Tier I, II, EHF

anon
Interesting, the usphl is tier 3 junior league but their youth programs will be tier 1?
Well, that's the rumor. It would be the best of the EHF Elite programs, which is Tier 1 today, so it isn't exactly a stretch of logic.

Current USPHL teams are all Tier 2. No real Tier 1 teams have signed on yet

Woof
Current USPHL teams are all Tier 2. No real Tier 1 teams have signed on yet
HP Youth teams are designated Tier 1.

Tier designations in junior hockey and youth hockey are completely different and unrelated. In junior hockey, Tier 1 means that it is 100% free for players to play (USHL), Tier 2 means players play for free but pay billet fees and some other assorted costs (NAHL), and Tier 3 means it is pay to play (USPHL and others). While the USPHL's top "Premier League" is currently pay-to-play, the widespread belief is that the league is trying to switch to a Tier 2 model within the next few seasons.

Whether the USPHL juniors are considered Tier 2 or Tier 3, wouldn't impact the youth organizations Tier 1 status for USA Hockey if that's the direction the league ends up going with its youth division.

Anon
Tier designations in junior hockey and youth hockey are completely different and unrelated. In junior hockey, Tier 1 means that it is 100% free for players to play (USHL), Tier 2 means players play for free but pay billet fees and some other assorted costs (NAHL), and Tier 3 means it is pay to play (USPHL and others). While the USPHL's top "Premier League" is currently pay-to-play, the widespread belief is that the league is trying to switch to a Tier 2 model within the next few seasons.

Whether the USPHL juniors are considered Tier 2 or Tier 3, wouldn't impact the youth organizations Tier 1 status for USA Hockey if that's the direction the league ends up going with its youth division.

Great post. Changing to Juniors to Tier 2 and increasing their youth footprint will change the landscape of Tier 1 Youth hockey in the northeast. Will become a feeder to USPHL Jr teams which will keep the elite players home as opposed to going to USHL, NAHL, BCHL, etc.

Anon
Anon
Hockey101
Rookie question but...how does an organization get into these leagues with appropriate Tier level? What determines EMHL vs FED vs E9

If your talking new organizations then you pay big money to get in to these leagues and then rip off the parents with delusions of NHL contract and D1 committs.

Once your in and own the parents then teams are already placed for FED beside T1 black/white and they have a parity tournament to determine spots. E9 has certian automatics in E9 then parity to determine open spots and then again for BHL
Well, that certainly cleared it up.

FED (EHF) and E9 are rival leagues. The better area organizations are members of one, or the other.

If you are FED, then the strongest team in each birth year from the original, founding members is automatically "Elite." used to be called "AAA Elite." It doesn't mean it's an elite team. Some of the weaker organizations are still "Elite" even though they can't hang with the top teams, or even will be beaten by the top teams in the next rung down.

The second teams of the founding orgs, and the top team of the wannabe's like the Vipers are "Tier 1." Now, that's a confusing term, because Tier I references the top tier within USA Hockey. So, Tier 1 Elite Hockey League is a super strong league, while Tier 1 FED is pretty much high level recreational. It used to be "AAA," but that is equally confusing, because outside of this area AAA means "elite."

The highest the wannabe's can get is Tier 1. Generally, there may be one or two strong teams in these organizations, but they don't have the depth across all birth years to bargain their way into the top rung.

They hold Tier 1 parity in the spring to determine which teams are in "Black and which are in ""White."

EMHL spun out of the EHF in 2012. Prior to that, it was within the Fed and was called "AA," which statted in 2010. It's meant to be a "bridge" org between "Town" and "Select." The EHF gods decide who is in EMHL. It's recreational hockey. Nothing wrong with that.

Someone else can explain the E9/BHL. Hopefully with some historical context back to the NEHL.

The Elite 9/Boston Hockey League is in its second year as a re-creation of the New England Hockey League (NEHL). The E9/BHL has three divisions for each birth year from U14 down to mite minor: Elite 9, Boston Hockey League American, and Boston Hockey League National (in order strongest to weakest).

Each birth year's E9 division consists of Valley Jr Warriors, Boston Advantage, East Coast Wizards, Seacoast Spartans, New Hampshire Avalanche, and Boston Jr Rangers. These teams get automatic perpetual bids (but can opt out). The other three slots in the elite division are filled through an early September parity round (going on right now). The results of the parity round are also used to divide the BHL teams into the American (upper) and National (lower) divisions.

Only the E9 teams are considered Tier 1. The BHL American and National teams are considered Tier 2, even though there are teams in the BHL sporting the "elite" moniker. "Elite" in this case only means that they are the highest team from that organization for that birth year.

anon
Anon
Anon
Hockey101
Rookie question but...how does an organization get into these leagues with appropriate Tier level? What determines EMHL vs FED vs E9

If your talking new organizations then you pay big money to get in to these leagues and then rip off the parents with delusions of NHL contract and D1 committs.

Once your in and own the parents then teams are already placed for FED beside T1 black/white and they have a parity tournament to determine spots. E9 has certian automatics in E9 then parity to determine open spots and then again for BHL
Well, that certainly cleared it up.

FED (EHF) and E9 are rival leagues. The better area organizations are members of one, or the other.

If you are FED, then the strongest team in each birth year from the original, founding members is automatically "Elite." used to be called "AAA Elite." It doesn't mean it's an elite team. Some of the weaker organizations are still "Elite" even though they can't hang with the top teams, or even will be beaten by the top teams in the next rung down.

The second teams of the founding orgs, and the top team of the wannabe's like the Vipers are "Tier 1." Now, that's a confusing term, because Tier I references the top tier within USA Hockey. So, Tier 1 Elite Hockey League is a super strong league, while Tier 1 FED is pretty much high level recreational. It used to be "AAA," but that is equally confusing, because outside of this area AAA means "elite."

The highest the wannabe's can get is Tier 1. Generally, there may be one or two strong teams in these organizations, but they don't have the depth across all birth years to bargain their way into the top rung.

They hold Tier 1 parity in the spring to determine which teams are in "Black and which are in ""White."

EMHL spun out of the EHF in 2012. Prior to that, it was within the Fed and was called "AA," which statted in 2010. It's meant to be a "bridge" org between "Town" and "Select." The EHF gods decide who is in EMHL. It's recreational hockey. Nothing wrong with that.

Someone else can explain the E9/BHL. Hopefully with some historical context back to the NEHL.

The Elite 9/Boston Hockey League is in its second year as a re-creation of the New England Hockey League (NEHL). The E9/BHL has three divisions for each birth year from U14 down to mite minor: Elite 9, Boston Hockey League American, and Boston Hockey League National (in order strongest to weakest).

Each birth year's E9 division consists of Valley Jr Warriors, Boston Advantage, East Coast Wizards, Seacoast Spartans, New Hampshire Avalanche, and Boston Jr Rangers. These teams get automatic perpetual bids (but can opt out). The other three slots in the elite division are filled through an early September parity round (going on right now). The results of the parity round are also used to divide the BHL teams into the American (upper) and National (lower) divisions.

Only the E9 teams are considered Tier 1. The BHL American and National teams are considered Tier 2, even though there are teams in the BHL sporting the "elite" moniker. "Elite" in this case only means that they are the highest team from that organization for that birth year.
If the Patriots are now automatically in the E9, is one of these organizations out? Or are there now 7 teams with automatic bids each year?

changing their name to E10

anon
changing their name to E10
Using the BIG10's logo

Hockey101

Don't let the names confuse you, the only tier 1 youth hockey leagues in mass as defined by USA hockey are the ehf and e9. Those two leagues owners control who is in the league and if new organizations join what level. All other leagues ehf tier 1, bhl, valley, etc. are tier 2.

Anon
Hockey101

Don't let the names confuse you, the only tier 1 youth hockey leagues in mass as defined by USA hockey are the ehf and e9. Those two leagues owners control who is in the league and if new organizations join what level. All other leagues ehf tier 1, bhl, valley, etc. are tier 2.
MPDHL has Tier 1 teams. T1EHL is all Tier 1. EPEHL has Tier 1 teams. ECEL has Tier 1 teams.

Sun does not rise and set around the FED and E9. This is going to become very apparent in a few years as it all changes.

Hockey101

Just try and put your player on a team with a good coach, period.

Don't worry about E9/FED bullsh t - because that's all it is.

If your boy loves the game, a good coach makes all the difference, and all these leagues are very limited when it comes to good coaching.

Do your homework on coaches - not teams or leagues, trust me.

anon
Hockey101

Just try and put your player on a team with a good coach, period.

Don't worry about E9/FED bullsh t - because that's all it is.

If your boy loves the game, a good coach makes all the difference, and all these leagues are very limited when it comes to good coaching.

Do your homework on coaches - not teams or leagues, trust me.

This is the dBoard, be careful in offering actual, sound advice. If everyone starts responding with coherent posts, I'll have to start looking elsewhere for my comedic relief during boring conference calls.