Visit The DBoard Online Store - https://www.cafepress.com/icehockeydboard

Click Here to Visit Our Facebook Page

email: icehockeydboard@yahoo.com

Youth Hockey
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Are you a real Coach or a Daddy Coach?

Anon
Anon
The parents from your team have zero respect for you. You're a joke. You think yelling at the kids is coaching. You take the silence from parents as a sign of respect when in reality they despise your coaching. No player is developing because you don't know how to develop a young hockey player. Your experience playing on the high school jv team only gets you so far. You really should do your players a favor, step down from coaching and give them a chance to develop this season. Parents and your players would respect you for doing so.

The short version for this is, "you're not playing my kid enough!"

Response of all Daddy Coaches.

Exactly, its mind boggling when the coaches kid is weaker(which is fine) but is played more than anyone on the team

Anon
The parents from your team have zero respect for you. You're a joke. You think yelling at the kids is coaching. You take the silence from parents as a sign of respect when in reality they despise your coaching. No player is developing because you don't know how to develop a young hockey player. Your experience playing on the high school jv team only gets you so far. You really should do your players a favor, step down from coaching and give them a chance to develop this season. Parents and your players would respect you for doing so.

^^^^This - perfectly said, and 100% true. (not to mention these type coaches are classic narcissists.) - The classic "scream from the bench" and "slam the door" mentality.

Defined elements being:

Has a grandiose sense of self-importance (e.g., exaggerates achievements and talents, expects to be recognized as superior without commensurate achievements)

Has a very strong sense of entitlement, e.g., unreasonable expectations of especially favorable treatment or automatic compliance with his or her expectations

Regularly shows arrogant, haughty behaviors or attitudes

Is exploitative of others, e.g., takes advantage of others to achieve his or her own ends

anon
Anon

^^^^This - perfectly said, and 100% true. (not to mention these type coaches are classic narcissists.) - The classic "scream from the bench" and "slam the door" mentality.

Defined elements being:

Has a grandiose sense of self-importance (e.g., exaggerates achievements and talents, expects to be recognized as superior without commensurate achievements)

Has a very strong sense of entitlement, e.g., unreasonable expectations of especially favorable treatment or automatic compliance with his or her expectations

Regularly shows arrogant, haughty behaviors or attitudes

Is exploitative of others, e.g., takes advantage of others to achieve his or her own ends

Wow! You guys are really angry and clearly hate your kids coaches. Have you ever expressed your feelings to the coach or do you just keep it bottled up and vent on the D-board hoping he reads it? We've all had a bad coach or two over the years that we didn't particularly care for, but you guys take the hate to another level! Can I suggest you find a coach you actually like next year, or now even, so your anger doesn't ruin your kids experience. Your scaring me fellas!

Anon
I didn't realize Webster's had added the term Daddy Coach to the dictionary. Thanks for the clarification! And here I always thought Daddy Coach was a term used by disgruntled select hockey parents who's kids can't hang at the level they're playing at and need to shift blame to the coach, or by delusional town hockey parents who are looking for excuses to justify moving the little scrapers to select hockey. On the High School board, I believe the derogatory term used by disgruntled parents when coaches don't see the potential in their little Allstars is "Townie Coach," so stow that one away for a few years and break it out when things don't go the way you had hoped.

Anon

very sensitive topic. I guess because hockey is so expensive folks really do expect to get value from the product and not just skating time. Quality of coaching matters. I imagine it sucks to get caught in a daddy coach situation for an 8 month season, but then its your responsibility to get out of it next season.

Anon

Let me ask you a question: who picks the team that your kid plays on, and the coach that he plays for? YOU!! So essentially you are telling us you either have no people skills and failed to get to know the coach before you signed on, or you are a terrible read of people. Or even worse, you knew and returned for another year. Not all coaches are bad, it's up to THE PARENT to find the right situation for their kid. If your kid is not in the right situation, it's nobody's fault but yours.

anon
Anon

Let me ask you a question: who picks the team that your kid plays on, and the coach that he plays for? YOU!! So essentially you are telling us you either have no people skills and failed to get to know the coach before you signed on, or you are a terrible read of people. Or even worse, you knew and returned for another year. Not all coaches are bad, it's up to THE PARENT to find the right situation for their kid. If your kid is not in the right situation, it's nobody's fault but yours.

It's not a matter of 'fault' it's a matter the coach having the requisite skills to teach hockey - and I mean TEACH it - not scream, holler, swear etc - ANY moron can do that.

Kids don't join a team because they already have the skills to play - they join to play and LEARN how to.

Coach is another word for teacher - if you can't teach, and parents are paying 3-4k for you not to be able to do something - then get off the bench - simple.

anon
anon
Anon

It's not a matter of 'fault' it's a matter the coach having the requisite skills to teach hockey - and I mean TEACH it - not scream, holler, swear etc - ANY moron can do that.

Kids don't join a team because they already have the skills to play - they join to play and LEARN how to.

Coach is another word for teacher - if you can't teach, and parents are paying 3-4k for you not to be able to do something - then get off the bench - simple.

My point is that you can choose your coach. So blaming the coach is blaming someone else for your own mistake. The coach is what he is, you should be informed before you commit.

anon
anon
anon
Anon

My point is that you can choose your coach. So blaming the coach is blaming someone else for your own mistake. The coach is what he is, you should be informed before you commit.

So true, most people would do more research when spending $3k on a used 2009 Volkswagon Jetta than they do on spending $3.5K + travel on the environment they are committing their child to for the next 9 months.

anon

So true, most people would do more research when spending $3k on a used 2009 Volkswagon Jetta than they do on spending $3.5K + travel on the environment they are committing their child to for the next 9 months.

Ding. Ding. Ding.... we have a winner !!!

Well said. Also, if you didn't skate with the coach and do your homework on him well before tryouts then shame on you. If you actually had to go to the tryout to know you made the team then it's likely your kid is a third liner anyway and that is why your disgruntled.

Anon
Well said. Also, if you didn't skate with the coach and do your homework on him well before tryouts then shame on you. If you actually had to go to the tryout to know you made the team then it's likely your kid is a third liner anyway and that is why your disgruntled. [/quoted]

Says one Daddy Coach to the other...it's like a bad joke.

anyone realize the correlation between most high level college and pro players when they talk about their youth hockey experience ???? because almost all of them say that their dad was their coach !

Granted there are probably some inexperienced or bad dad coaches. I will take well prepared mid level daddy coaches who actually care about the team as opposed to a pro coach with no vested interest and no practice plan or vision for the season any day.

I am sure I share this sentiment with several parents and her this often.

In fact I know an assistant with zero hockey background that was a great assistant due to his connection with the kids and years of coaching experience at a high level with another sport partnered with a "dad" coach that played college that has some knowledge of the game, was one of the best experiences as a parent i have had.

conversely, one of the worst, was with a pro coach who didn't give a s**t about the kids or team.

Anon
anyone realize the correlation between most high level college and pro players when they talk about their youth hockey experience ???? because almost all of them say that their dad was their coach !

Granted there are probably some inexperienced or bad dad coaches. I will take well prepared mid level daddy coaches who actually care about the team as opposed to a pro coach with no vested interest and no practice plan or vision for the season any day.

I am sure I share this sentiment with several parents and her this often.

In fact I know an assistant with zero hockey background that was a great assistant due to his connection with the kids and years of coaching experience at a high level with another sport partnered with a "dad" coach that played college that has some knowledge of the game, was one of the best experiences as a parent i have had.

conversely, one of the worst, was with a pro coach who didn't give a s**t about the kids or team.

What if all your coaches are daddy coaches that are train wrecks?

"..anyone realize the correlation between most high level college and pro players when they talk about their youth hockey experience ???? because almost all of them say that their dad was their coach ! "

Yeah. What they don't mention (as in the other thread about hockey legacy kids) is their 'Daddy coach' was an ex-NHL'er and being part of the hockey family is how they ended-up a "high level college and pro player."

Depends on experience and how the coach interacts with the players. We have an experienced head coach, played college hockey focuses on skills and skating. We have an assistant coach who played Juniors and focuses on team moral, mental toughness. Both are Daddy coaches but you wouldn't know it. I guess as long as the kids play hard for them what else can I ask for.

Well said from the previous poster about commitment to the team. One of my sons plays for an ex NHLer. He could care less about the team. Brings a lot of hockey knowledge, and "OK" ability to translate it to the kids but goes through the motions. Doesn't care about "team". His previous coach only played through high school but knows the game better than anybody I've ever met and especially how to translate it to the kids. Is a disciplinarian and really cares about the team. Stressed fair, hard play and teamwork and created an environment that the kids feel obligated to perform for. He got a little hot under the collar sometimes but I'd much rather have that than the guy who played at a high-level who doesn't seem to care. There absolutely some real losers out there as daddy coaches but there are also some really good ones.

I feel really obligated to say the next sentence.

Sorry your kid get cut, sorry your kid is a third liner, sorry the coaches kid is better than your kid.

Anon
Well said from the previous poster about commitment to the team. One of my sons plays for an ex NHLer. He could care less about the team. Brings a lot of hockey knowledge, and "OK" ability to translate it to the kids but goes through the motions. Doesn't care about "team". His previous coach only played through high school but knows the game better than anybody I've ever met and especially how to translate it to the kids. Is a disciplinarian and really cares about the team. Stressed fair, hard play and teamwork and created an environment that the kids feel obligated to perform for. He got a little hot under the collar sometimes but I'd much rather have that than the guy who played at a high-level who doesn't seem to care. There absolutely some real losers out there as daddy coaches but there are also some really good ones.

I feel really obligated to say the next sentence.

Sorry your kid get cut, sorry your kid is a third liner, sorry the coaches kid is better than your kid.

Great post.... had to go and ruin it with the last sentence, but I like the disclaimer !

Anon
Depends on experience and how the coach interacts with the players. We have an experienced head coach, played college hockey focuses on skills and skating. We have an assistant coach who played Juniors and focuses on team moral, mental toughness. Both are Daddy coaches but you wouldn't know it. I guess as long as the kids play hard for them what else can I ask for.

They don't sound like Daddy Coaches, they sound like real Coaches who also have kids on their team. The original poster is not suggesting that a coach with a kid on the team as a bad coach, he/she is saying the actions of the coach is what makes him a 'Daddy Coach' as opposed to a real coach who understands and can teach hockey.....helloooooo???? Get it?

anon
Anon

They don't sound like Daddy Coaches, they sound like real Coaches who also have kids on their team. The original poster is not suggesting that a coach with a kid on the team as a bad coach, he/she is saying the actions of the coach is what makes him a 'Daddy Coach' as opposed to a real coach who understands and can teach hockey.....helloooooo???? Get it?

Yeah, we get it. We all get that you think it's cleaver, but it's an old, derogatory term used by parents who seem to know everything but won't step up to coach a team themselves, or want to blame the precieved short comings of their kids on someone else. Bottom line, there are good coaches and not so good coaches. If you stay in town you're stuck with what you get. If you're in select, it's up to you to find the right spot for you're kid. It's called personal responsibility.

Anon
anon
Anon

Yeah, we get it. We all get that you think it's cleaver, but it's an old, derogatory term used by parents who seem to know everything but won't step up to coach a team themselves, or want to blame the precieved short comings of their kids on someone else. Bottom line, there are good coaches and not so good coaches. If you stay in town you're stuck with what you get. If you're in select, it's up to you to find the right spot for you're kid. It's called personal responsibility.

The draw of better coaching on money teams is a joke. There are a few exceptions but if your kid is having fun and learning with town hockey then don't waste your money

You know there was a town board for people like you, correct?

Hockey Hack
If the last competitive hockey game you played was when you were the same age as the players you are coaching, you just may be a Daddy Coach.

If your pre-game warm up drills consist of two players in motion and 13 standing around, you could be a Daddy Coach.

If you are unable to demonstrate the skating drills and edge work you are asking of your players, you're probably a Daddy Coach.

If you find yourself so caught up in the action of the hockey game that your over extended shifts regularly result in goals against, you're most likely a Daddy Coach.

If your coaching vocabulary primarily consists of phrases like "skate, skate, skate", and "pass, pass, pass," and "shoot, shoot, shoot", you are a Daddy Coach.

If you look forward to the team lunch at the local Italian joint in between tournament games and then surprised that your team's play was flat and lethargic, you're definitely a Daddy Coach.

If you are doing the same five drills at the end of the season as you did at the beginning of the season, you're a lazy Daddy Coach.

If you have not had a one-on-one mid-season meeting or provided any meaningful feedback to each individual player on what they need to specifically work on to improve, you're a clueless Daddy Coach.

If you rely on the individual skills of a few impact players to win games during the season, and can't understand why your team does not improve year after year, you're an ignorant Daddy Coach.

If you realize after coaching the same players for several years that they are not really developing and the team is not advancing, but you're reluctant to step down because next year is your free ride to the "big tournament", you are the MacDaddy of Daddy Coaches.

Love this....pin it in every arena!

Hockey Hack
If the last competitive hockey game you played was when you were the same age as the players you are coaching, you just may be a Daddy Coach.

If your pre-game warm up drills consist of two players in motion and 13 standing around, you could be a Daddy Coach.

If you are unable to demonstrate the skating drills and edge work you are asking of your players, you're probably a Daddy Coach.

If you find yourself so caught up in the action of the hockey game that your over extended shifts regularly result in goals against, you're most likely a Daddy Coach.

If your coaching vocabulary primarily consists of phrases like "skate, skate, skate", and "pass, pass, pass," and "shoot, shoot, shoot", you are a Daddy Coach.

If you look forward to the team lunch at the local Italian joint in between tournament games and then surprised that your team's play was flat and lethargic, you're definitely a Daddy Coach.

If you are doing the same five drills at the end of the season as you did at the beginning of the season, you're a lazy Daddy Coach.

If you have not had a one-on-one mid-season meeting or provided any meaningful feedback to each individual player on what they need to specifically work on to improve, you're a clueless Daddy Coach.

If you rely on the individual skills of a few impact players to win games during the season, and can't understand why your team does not improve year after year, you're an ignorant Daddy Coach.

If you realize after coaching the same players for several years that they are not really developing and the team is not advancing, but you're reluctant to step down because next year is your free ride to the "big tournament", you are the MacDaddy of Daddy Coaches.

If you took the time to type this entire post you are definitely a parent who is afraid of their own shadow, never put on skates and kisses the Daddy Coach' a$$.
Go get your shine-box loser.

anon
Hockey Hack

If you took the time to type this entire post you are definitely a parent who is afraid of their own shadow, never put on skates and kisses the Daddy Coach' a$$.

Congratulations on your ability to read all those words. So now do your team and their parents a favor and step down so the kids have a chance to enjoy playing some hockey this season. It will give you more time to crush some Gansets and watch sports center with your high school buddies.

anon
Hockey Hack

Ahhhhhh, another daddy coach with hurt feelings cuz the words ring true. Just embrace the truth pal.

Exactly what instrument did you play in your high school band?

Most daddy coaches are in it for their kids. Very few actually can coach the game and care about every player on the team. Good daddy coaches are in a no-win situation. If they actually coach the kids parents only see them as a parent vs a coach. Unfortunately favoritism to the coaches kid, who is usually one of the worst players on the team, runs rampant through the Boston hockey scene.

The daddy coaches always blame it on the parents

The daddy coaches always blame it on the parents

Love this debate.I am a coach with a kid on the team and my wife is a school teacher.We are the most blamed people on earth.

Let's get the violin out. Question is, are you a real coach or not? Is your kid the worst player on the team or the best? Do you treat him the same way as others? Would he legitimately make the team if you weren't coaching? Do you select his friends or kids he likes, or parents kids who you coach or drink with over new kids? Do you really develop hockey players or open a door? Have you progressed players to a higher level from the one you're currently coaching at?

Sounds like you're a typical daddy Coach.

i am curious to know if half of the whiners on this board actually do anything besides complain anonymously or do you actually try and do something about it? If you know your kid is playing for a daddy coach why do you stay? There are about 50 organizations in the greater Boston area. surly there are enough spots on tier one white rosters for your benders.

I'll say it again, since somebody else just brought it up: don't complain about the coach that you chose. Do a better job of finding a coach that you like next year. Do your due diligence, even if it means having some difficult, man-to-man (not email) conversations. Do what's right for your kid, don't just settle then come on here knocking guys that are giving up a significant amount of their time to coach.

Can anyone give an organization that has a coach that:
Is not a dad of a kid on the team?
Plans out the year with goals and objectives?
Builds practice plans centered around improving the team?
Helps develop bottom third?
Balances wins/loss with opportunities for the kids to build confidence?

Love to hear the organization that has that coach.

Anon
Let's get the violin out. Question is, are you a real coach or not? Is your kid the worst player on the team or the best? Do you treat him the same way as others? Would he legitimately make the team if you weren't coaching? Do you select his friends or kids he likes, or parents kids who you coach or drink with over new kids? Do you really develop hockey players or open a door? Have you progressed players to a higher level from the one you're currently coaching at?

Sounds like you're a typical daddy Coach.

1.Real coach 2.My son is the best on the team 3. harder on him than most 4.Yes
5.No 6.Develop 7.Yes...so GFY Dad!