email: icehockeydboard@yahoo.com

Youth Hockey
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: A great example of why E9/EHF don't matter

anon
Seems like 100% FA package is a rare thing at most schools though - yes?
If so, the real question is, if you have to pay 40-60% tuition (with partial FA package), is it STILL worth making the jump.

I don't think you can put a price on a great education for your kid .

Anon
anon
anon
Anon
It was a harmless article in a Mickey Mouse publication. You used the term " the media loves a story" as if this piece was written with bias to sway a segment of people. Your not an idiot...you are just not funny...that's what you were goin for and you swung and missed.

no but he has point insofar this is a feel good story. But it remains an exception. Most kids that go on play D1, play town then club, then prep, or they are from MI then they need neither of the aforementioned. i agree with the whole EHF nonsense thing though.

"Most kids that go on play D1, play town then club, then prep..."

What's with the prep crap? Most kids that go on play D1, play town, then club, then high school (regardless of the type) or full season, then Juniors. Outside of a few kids doing a PG year and then to Juniors there are very few kids that go from prep to D-I.
I think it's pretty safe to day that the majority of kids that played D1 in to last 10+ years played prep, and not just a PG year. I'm sure we can think some that didn't, but the poster said "most." I think that's a pretty safe statement.

It IS changing, the full-season-straight-to-Juniors route is becoming more attractive, but that's happening at the expense of the publics.

But "very few kids that go from prep to D-I?" Nope. Can't wrap my head around that statement. Not in this part of the country

Man you're living in the past. In the past 6 years it's pretty safe to say that the majority of kids that played D1 played Junior hockey either in the USHL, USPHL or a few in the NAHL. Prep is now just high school hockey to get the kid ready for Juniors.

Anon
It was a harmless article in a Mickey Mouse publication. You used the term " the media loves a story" as if this piece was written with bias to sway a segment of people. Your not an idiot...you are just not funny...that's what you were goin for and you swung and missed.
Wasn't trying too be funny at all. Not sure why you would think you can speak for me.

What I was going for was that the "Mickey Mouse" reporter decided to do a story based on the kid having a non-traditional hockey background. Think he does the same story on a kid from Coral Gables?

Doesn't look like D Boarders know much about journalism. THN is hardly a "Mickey Mouse" publication.

M I C....see you real soon!...K E Y........M O U S E.......Mickey Mouse

Anon
http://www.thehockeynews.com/news/article/the-incredible-story-of-team-usas-randy-hernandez

More important in that article and something that USA Hockey has pushed with this kid is the fact that he never played on a full season "Elite" team prior to this.

The key to having a future "star" kid - is the type of aftermarket rims Daddy sticks on his Escalade. Spinning Gold ones guarantee Division 1.

Funny story. First they point out "Randy Hernandez isn't the son of a famous NHLer" to try to show there was no nepotism which USA Hockey has long suffered and then the go to great lengths to point out he's a Florida kid (untapped market), a hispanic kid (untapped race), who had little access to playing on good teams (USA Hockey love$ town hockey growth).

So basically the story states "see it wasn't the troubling nepotism of loading-up with legacy kids that has plagued USA Hockey (and most of hockey in general) in the past rather it was a self serving political pick which we need more of for the sport of hockey to grow (read: membership due$) the sport in the U.S."

Good luck to the kid and good luck to USA Hockey's PR efforts.

anon
Funny story. First they point out "Randy Hernandez isn't the son of a famous NHLer" to try to show there was no nepotism which USA Hockey has long suffered and then the go to great lengths to point out he's a Florida kid (untapped market), a hispanic kid (untapped race), who had little access to playing on good teams (USA Hockey love$ town hockey growth).

So basically the story states "see it wasn't the troubling nepotism of loading-up with legacy kids that has plagued USA Hockey (and most of hockey in general) in the past rather it was a self serving political pick which we need more of for the sport of hockey to grow (read: membership due$) the sport in the U.S."

Good luck to the kid and good luck to USA Hockey's PR efforts.
Spot on!