Youth Hockey
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Refs

Anon
Anon
Maybe the two previous ref posters can giveme clarification on a call recently.

HC is ejected (albeit a little prematurely, but I think I know why) then team is given a delay of game penatly for HC refusing to leave bench.

Now, can a parent who is not on the score sheet, come into bench to help coach ?

Now I know that the HC cant be in contact with his assistant via cellphone and coach, which also occurred, but whatever. Just looking for clarification on the parent coming to bench mid game, that is not registered as a coach.

From USA Hockey Rule 201 .....
If at any time during the game, through penalties, illness, or any other reasons, there are no Team Officials on the players’ bench to be in control of and responsible for the
team, the game shall continue provided there is adult supervision on the bench. If no adult supervision is available, the referee shall suspend the game and submit a report to the proper authorities.

I found that one, but was curious if in the above scenario, where there was already an assistant on the bench, if someone not on the roster could enter the bench ?

"...the game shall continue provided there is adult supervision on the bench."

Sounds like anyone can jump over and fill in. The world might stop if the guy isn't a certified coach but how many of them qualify as 'adults' anyway?

There is no doubt that the current pool of refs is aging and moving away from the game, as well as young people not wanting to become officials. That said, the biggest problem is the rapid growth of registered teams at the youth level. Town hockey never went away, but all the "elite" "premier" "AAA""Select" programs added a second or third team (mostly filled out with players who also play for their town teams). This has created an environment where there are thousands of youth games every weekend, never mind juniors, college and high school (in a couple weeks).

I have been a coach, referee and hockey parent for over 20 years, and have had the opportunity to officiate college for the last 10. I have tried to encourage both my teenage son and daughter to referee and after a couple of years of going to seminars and doing some games, they now have no interest. Its really too bad more kids don't do it because there is no other place where a kid in high school or college can make $30-$50 an hour, get a workout and meet some good people.

When it comes to older officials, an even younger ones who have been exposed to higher levels of hockey, USA Hockey is the problem. They make it so time consuming to become an official. An all day seminar and 10-15 hours of online modules is enough to scare guys away from doing youth games. There is no incentive to being a Level 3 or 4 ref and despite there only being rule changes every 4 years, you still need to pay your $80-$100 and meet all the requirements i previously mentioned.

In the end it is the USA hockey, rink owners, programs owners who start extra teams and out of control parents and coaches who are responsible for the lack of referees or good officiating. And that is not to say that there aren't bad referee's but when you are screaming at a a young official in a squirt or peewee game because they missed a call then you have most likely contributed to a game going uncovered the next weekend or a lesser official showing up next time around.

anon
<>I have tried to encourage both my teenage son and daughter to referee and after a couple of years of going to seminars and doing some games, they now have no interest. Its really too bad more kids don't do it because there is no other place where a kid in high school or college can make $30-$50 an hour, get a workout and meet some good people.<>

well said, but for the above: i think player burnout (too many games) leads to driving them entirely away from the game. my oldest played a ton and has barely touched his skates since HS. my second, who did not play HS, is a ref and has to pass on more games than he takes. due to his height and ability was quickly promoted.

oh sorry to say, he is rarely fazed by parents. coaches especially under bantam THINK they know the rules and/or can bully a ref. and coaches of poor teams tend to yell/blame the refs more. the coaches of better teams --- they call him over to ask 'what was the call' then retort 'what an idiot' (as in the player). they know. they call the ref as a show for that player's parent.