email: icehockeydboard@yahoo.com

Youth Hockey
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: What to do

anon
What do you do when you have a 13 year old with all the tools but has a hard time putting it all together? Skating-check, Puck control-check, Physical-check, IQ-check, but in games has a great shift followed by a get off the ice and never come back shift.
TOWN HOCKEY !!!!

Anon
anon
What do you do when you have a 13 year old with all the tools but has a hard time putting it all together? Skating-check, Puck control-check, Physical-check, IQ-check, but in games has a great shift followed by a get off the ice and never come back shift.
TOWN HOCKEY !!!!

Tried that but he scored 6-7 goals a game and was asked to leave.

you just need to wait it out and keep encouraging them to work hard and have fun.

As much as everyone wants these kids to all fit into a nice little stereotype, they are all very different and unique kids. EVERY kid figures it out at a different time and in their own way.

I have seen kids struggle for years to put it all together. Often they are in the same situation... all the tools, just something not clicking.... it can be as late as 15 or 16 sometimes....

when they do figure it out, and they will if they are having fun playing... just sit back and enjoy the ride... those late bloomers are a ton of fun to watch.

keep in mind, that 90% of the kids that figure it out at 8,9, 10... unfortunately peak shortly after... having a late bloomer can often end up being a blessing.

hang in there!

anon
you just need to wait it out and keep encouraging them to work hard and have fun.

As much as everyone wants these kids to all fit into a nice little stereotype, they are all very different and unique kids. EVERY kid figures it out at a different time and in their own way.

I have seen kids struggle for years to put it all together. Often they are in the same situation... all the tools, just something not clicking.... it can be as late as 15 or 16 sometimes....

when they do figure it out, and they will if they are having fun playing... just sit back and enjoy the ride... those late bloomers are a ton of fun to watch.

keep in mind, that 90% of the kids that figure it out at 8,9, 10... unfortunately peak shortly after... having a late bloomer can often end up being a blessing.

hang in there!

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
100% agree with above - best advice yet on this thread.

anon

If he loves the game, I'd say wait it out, have him keep doing what he is doing and keep encouraging him. Focus on the positive and not too much on the negative (don't ignore the negative). If he doesn't love the game that is probably why he isn't putting it all together. But your situation isn't that uncommon. It takes a lot of kids a while to put all the pieces together but if they have the individual pieces (especially skating, size, and physicality) once they do they have a huge impact on the game. There are tons of examples of kids who are inconsistent and give you glimpses of what can be turning into top players.

Table Tennis .......

ANON
Table Tennis .......

Dont make fun. It is an Olympic Sport

Tough age. It's pretty common that as kids begin to make the jump to adulthood they have more of their own independent thoughts abut what's important to them. Don't know your kid, but it sounds like he's starting to wonder why he's spending this much time on the sport. Probably easier to teach physical skills to a motivated teenager than the other way around.

As hard as it is, ask your kid about his love for the game, and truly listen to his answers.

My kid works his butt off to develop, and I think he was the same age when he told me he had some concerns that if he didn't "make it" (whatever the definition of that is to a 13 year old) I would regret having put as much of my time and resources into his development. I assured him that this was something he needed to love, that if he ever wanted to walk away I'd be 100% supportive, that I love the time we spend together, and that the time and money spent was done willingly, without reservations, and without any strings. He's worked harder than ever, since.