email: icehockeydboard@yahoo.com

Youth Hockey
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Labels

anon
So, why do you care what a coach thinks of another kid on the team? It's youth hockey. I see it on my kids 10/11 year old team. Coach thinks 2 forwards are the best kids on the team. Know what I think, I could strap on pair of skates and be the highest scorer if I tried to carry it up every time without passing...and I didn't play hockey.

And before everyone attacks me, No, I didn't play hockey but played plenty of other team sports and the concept if the same. Team sports require team efforts. And those kids as mites look like stars, then in Squirts when the slower developing kids keep progressing, those stars aren't carrying it or shooting as much because they are loosing the puck. And I'll put money on it that it's even more noticeable in the next division that they lose the puck more and carry it less. But when you have coaches who watch the puck instead of the game and want wins then the highest scorers are their stars.

Guess what? That's life. Keep telling your kid to work hard, hard work pays off and their youth coach isn't their end of the road coach for the good players. Play as a team but play for yourself!

"Play as a team but play for yourself" you expect a kid to understand that? That's no better than the kid who is going end to end and not moving the puck. How about telling your kid to have fun or work hard, etc..You are hurting him more than helping.

anon
anon
So, why do you care what a coach thinks of another kid on the team? It's youth hockey. I see it on my kids 10/11 year old team. Coach thinks 2 forwards are the best kids on the team. Know what I think, I could strap on pair of skates and be the highest scorer if I tried to carry it up every time without passing...and I didn't play hockey.

And before everyone attacks me, No, I didn't play hockey but played plenty of other team sports and the concept if the same. Team sports require team efforts. And those kids as mites look like stars, then in Squirts when the slower developing kids keep progressing, those stars aren't carrying it or shooting as much because they are loosing the puck. And I'll put money on it that it's even more noticeable in the next division that they lose the puck more and carry it less. But when you have coaches who watch the puck instead of the game and want wins then the highest scorers are their stars.

Guess what? That's life. Keep telling your kid to work hard, hard work pays off and their youth coach isn't their end of the road coach for the good players. Play as a team but play for yourself!

"Play as a team but play for yourself" you expect a kid to understand that? That's no better than the kid who is going end to end and not moving the puck. How about telling your kid to have fun or work hard, etc..You are hurting him more than helping.

Maybe I wasn't clear. By play for yourself, I teach my kid not to worry about that kid, who is clearly favored because of his selfish scoring. Play for yourself to learn the game. And if he wasn't working hard or having fun, he wouldn't be out there.

coaches favorite play more min even if having a bad game other kids have a bad game coach cuts ice time tg

sounds like other kids are just roster fillers they play to give super studs a rest tg

anon
anon

I think he said work hard in the prior sentence. It's right there for all of us to see. Think before you post.

Anon
I agree with you to some point. Telling your kid to work hard and hard works pays off may have to be replaced with "It's not what you know, it's who you know". My son's entire team was replaces with a new coach and team. This was after telling him all season to work hard and try.
I felt like I was lying to my kid, he had to learn the cut throat reality of youth hockey at a young age.

so your kid got cut...sorry!

sorry your ki got cut can u come up with something more original its old dbag

I had a steak and cheese grinder for lunch today.

anon
Anon
Anon
anon
I have a major issue with giving a 13 year old player the label of "grinder". Overheard coaches talking and saying this kid is a grinder, this kid a finesse, this kid is going to be great.
They are 13, haven't touched puberty yet. Get a clue!

I suspect you have more of a major issue that it wasn't your kid they were talking about. Green isn't becoming on most people

My kid is the leading scorer on the team, not green of anyone, already have his contract for next year, just don't think it's right to label 13 year olds. I guess I'm in the minority on this one.

God you are full of yourself...I feel bad for your kid.

Not full of anything, just responding to the guy who suspects things that he has no idea about. Don't like labels of 13 year olds.

Only a mom would write that post ...

Or a liberal

anon
I have a major issue with giving a 13 year old player the label of "grinder". Overheard coaches talking and saying this kid is a grinder, this kid a finesse, this kid is going to be great.
They are 13, haven't touched puberty yet. Get a clue!

...and my kid is a "bender"