The Official New England Ice Hockey DBoard 

Click Here to Visit Our Facebook Page

email: icehockeydboard@yahoo.com

Youth Hockey
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
USPHL Bantam Draft

Anyone know when the big day is? Hoping my little guy gets taken so his NHL stock goes up...

Re: USPHL Bantam Draft

Boat has sailed! Sorry bud !

Anon
Anyone know when the big day is? Hoping my little guy gets taken so his NHL stock goes up...

No clue on actual date but it did say this January...

Player Acquisition:
Teams participating in the National Collegiate Development Conference have eight Tenders which will be used to secure player rights for players not in a particular team’s organization. A Tender is a mutual agreement that is signed by both the player (parents of the player if under 18 years of age) and the organization.

Players who are not signed to a Tender will be eligible for the NCDC Futures Draft (2001 & 2002 birth years) to be held in January 2017, or the NCDC Entry Draft to be held in May 2017. Players not signed to a Tender or drafted by a member club will have the opportunity to participate in team-specific tryout settings in order to earn their spot in a franchise.

For more information about the National Collegiate Development Conference (NCDC), please visit www.usphl.com/NCDC

anon
Anon

I just looked...he wasn't on it

is this a real thing? can we make youth hockey any more of a joke. im going to get my kid into soccer when they claim them at 12

Anon
is this a real thing? can we make youth hockey any more of a joke. im going to get my kid into soccer when they claim them at 12

Draft is a futures draft for jr program. Following USHL and NAHL

Hey my son was traded his Peewee Major year so I think anything is possible in this lovely little game we call kiddie hockey.

Where do we sign up? I have an 03 who would be perfect for this. Is there a skills clinic I can pay for so he can be seen before draft day. He skates on 4 teams now but he should be a top draft pick. He is the "real deal" just haven't found the right coaching or players to really show his greatness.

anon
Where do we sign up? I have an 03 who would be perfect for this. Is there a skills clinic I can pay for so he can be seen before draft day. He skates on 4 teams now but he should be a top draft pick. He is the "real deal" just haven't found the right coaching or players to really show his greatness.

Already told our coach we're gone if tuition goes up. 2 e9 teams want him. I'm not hung up on it he Fed. I do believe in affair tuition price though.

Anon
Already told our coach we're gone if tuition goes up. 2 e9 teams want him. I'm not hung up on it he Fed. I do believe in affair tuition price though.

Maybe goes up a few hundred dollars. Not enough for a mass exodus. Following year a few hundred. Rises with everything else albeit at a greater pace.

Trust me nobody is jumping over that. I certainly wouldn't!

People, this is a good thing. No reason local players need to go to the Midwest and graduate high school just to come back east for college. May take a few years but so what.

"No reason local players need to go to the Midwest and graduate high school just to come back east for college."

It all depends. It's not like many players get a choice. The USHL is a pre D-1 college league and for the most part the USPHL is a pre D-3 league so figure-out how far the kid wants to (or can) take it and decided. For most potential D-1 kids the college coaches will have a say on where the kid should or will be playing junior hockey.

Obviously if you're a Hockey East commit the coach would prefer to see you play in the better league and to develop some maturity by living away from your parents. The exact same things they look at when recruiting kids from the USHL. Similarly if your hope is to play D-1 hockey and you don't have a commit, pack your bags; this won't change.

If your kid's dream is to lace them up for a NESCAC school or some other local liberal arts D-3 school, or parents can't stomach the thought of the kid moving away just yet or has very little college contacts then by all means stay local and try your luck. But right now it's apples to oranges.

I think its great for our area to have this option. Yes, the next few years will tell if it can sustain itself but its at least an option for our kids compared to what we have now. Hope it works out.

anon
"No reason local players need to go to the Midwest and graduate high school just to come back east for college."

It all depends. It's not like many players get a choice. The USHL is a pre D-1 college league and for the most part the USPHL is a pre D-3 league so figure-out how far the kid wants to (or can) take it and decided. For most potential D-1 kids the college coaches will have a say on where the kid should or will be playing junior hockey.

Obviously if you're a Hockey East commit the coach would prefer to see you play in the better league and to develop some maturity by living away from your parents. The exact same things they look at when recruiting kids from the USHL. Similarly if your hope is to play D-1 hockey and you don't have a commit, pack your bags; this won't change.

If your kid's dream is to lace them up for a NESCAC school or some other local liberal arts D-3 school, or parents can't stomach the thought of the kid moving away just yet or has very little college contacts then by all means stay local and try your luck. But right now it's apples to oranges.

Interesting points - but you could also make a case that Hockey East coaches want to keep tabs on future recruits and they can watch them a lot more playing in the USPHL since they are closer. Not sure its great for kids to gain maturity at 16 or 17 living out in some boonville town in the midwest playing hockey - how about school?

anon
anon

Interesting points - but you could also make a case that Hockey East coaches want to keep tabs on future recruits and they can watch them a lot more playing in the USPHL since they are closer. Not sure its great for kids to gain maturity at 16 or 17 living out in some boonville town in the midwest playing hockey - how about school?

No, D1 coaches want the kids to play at the highest level possible so that they can step right in and contribute as a freshman. The USHL is the top choice, BCHL and NAHL are also viable options. If you can find a Division 1 coach that will advise his recruits to play in the USPHL, they will not have their job very long.

To the original quote above, some great points made. Only thing I would change would be that if a player is headed for NESCAC or that is his ceiling, he should play Prep School. Once he's done playing prep school, he should PG at another prep school and then head in. The difference between the USHL, BCHL, and NAHL versus these leagues out east is that those three top leagues actually make the players better while exposing them to the highest level of play possible in preparation for college hockey; whereas the leagues out here simply just give the players another year of growing, 60 more games, and more hockey experience than they had before.

Not being a debby downer on the new USPHL, but to compare it to the USHL, BCHL, or NAHL is absolutely nuts.

Anon
anon
anon

No, D1 coaches want the kids to play at the highest level possible so that they can step right in and contribute as a freshman. The USHL is the top choice, BCHL and NAHL are also viable options. If you can find a Division 1 coach that will advise his recruits to play in the USPHL, they will not have their job very long.

To the original quote above, some great points made. Only thing I would change would be that if a player is headed for NESCAC or that is his ceiling, he should play Prep School. Once he's done playing prep school, he should PG at another prep school and then head in. The difference between the USHL, BCHL, and NAHL versus these leagues out east is that those three top leagues actually make the players better while exposing them to the highest level of play possible in preparation for college hockey; whereas the leagues out here simply just give the players another year of growing, 60 more games, and more hockey experience than they had before.

Not being a debby downer on the new USPHL, but to compare it to the USHL, BCHL, or NAHL is absolutely nuts.

Just goes to show how broken NCAA hockey is. Kids should be graduating high school or prep school and going right into college. This crap about having to play juniors is ridiculous. I know its common but it doesnt make it right. No other NCAA sport requires a year or two of junior level play before college. Its COLLEGE and college age kids should be playing. Kids go right from high school to Alabama and Clemson football and that sport is doing fine.

anon
Just goes to show how broken NCAA hockey is. Kids should be graduating high school or prep school and going right into college. This crap about having to play juniors is ridiculous. I know its common but it doesnt make it right. No other NCAA sport requires a year or two of junior level play before college. Its COLLEGE and college age kids should be playing. Kids go right from high school to Alabama and Clemson football and that sport is doing fine.
So how do you account for 24 year old seniors in college football? And many of those are the elite players.

The sport that is broken is basketball. I'd rather see a kid play Juniors for a year than see them in college for a sham year before they are draft eligible.

And the truly elite hockey players aren't playing a year of juniors, at least not post-HS. So maybe hockey is only partly broken.

Yeah right but how many 'truly elite hockey players' are there per year? By that I think you mean players that are locks for the NHL. So they show-up at 18 and move onto pro hockey at 20 - college coaches rent these kids for two years and bid them farewell otherwise they would greatly prefer to have a freshmen 20 year old man rather than an 18 year old kid who will give them 4 years.

Hockey will remain broken as long as the Canadian Junior beast continues to need be fed and the US Juniors and colleges play along. Screw it and just say a college kid will 'age-out' of college hockey on their 23'rd birthday (or whatever # you want).

anon
anon
So how do you account for 24 year old seniors in college football? And many of those are the elite players.

The sport that is broken is basketball. I'd rather see a kid play Juniors for a year than see them in college for a sham year before they are draft eligible.

And the truly elite hockey players aren't playing a year of juniors, at least not post-HS. So maybe hockey is only partly broken.

24 year old players in football are a rarity. Most are out by the time they are 22 like normal students. Some redshirt - Ezekiel Elliott is 21 years old, Goff is 22...thats INCOMING players for NCAA hockey.

All this talk of D1. Do you have any idea how hard it is to be a D1 student athlete?
Many make it sound great, but your daily life is planned out for you and there is no time for other things, I know this because I lived it not to long ago.

You parents throw it around like if your kid dosent make it he is less of a player. I went D1, my cousin went D3, now that I look back on it and our experiences, he definitley had the better experience. While I was in the weight room, or doing some meaningless PR for the school, he was doing normal college things, and while I was taking a summer class because of hockey, he was at the beach with our friends and family.
Dont get me wrong, I worked my a$$ off from the time I was 15 years old to get the opportunity to play D1 and I am proud of it, but some of you need to check into reality here. Now that I am helping some local programs I cant beleive how many parents truely believe their son or daughter has what it takes at 12 or 13 to make it and they are offended when I tell them to slow down and enjoy the time now. My parents didnt spend all of this extra money on skills and multiple teams for the entire season, I had to beg to go to 1 spring tournament and a few skates in the summer and I did just fine.
If your kid has it, he will be fine, if not, there is no amount of skills/tournaments that will change that.
Many of these parents ask about genetics, and the truth is it does make a difference 99.9% of the time. Both of my parents are 5"10', I grew to be 6"0' and I was considered small. If genetics shows you are only going to be 5"9' then i would honestly set your goals realistically, D3 is where you will belong.
1 last thing to remember is that all of these schools are finding players from all over the world who want to come and play here, so it may seem your player is right up in the top bracket of talent for your small area, he is most likely not even on the radar of most of these teams.
If you are lucky enough to be in a draft like this, enjoy it, love every minute of it.Good luck to your kids.

Anon
All this talk of D1. Do you have any idea how hard it is to be a D1 student athlete?
Many make it sound great, but your daily life is planned out for you and there is no time for other things, I know this because I lived it not to long ago.

You parents throw it around like if your kid dosent make it he is less of a player. I went D1, my cousin went D3, now that I look back on it and our experiences, he definitley had the better experience. While I was in the weight room, or doing some meaningless PR for the school, he was doing normal college things, and while I was taking a summer class because of hockey, he was at the beach with our friends and family.
Dont get me wrong, I worked my a$$ off from the time I was 15 years old to get the opportunity to play D1 and I am proud of it, but some of you need to check into reality here. Now that I am helping some local programs I cant beleive how many parents truely believe their son or daughter has what it takes at 12 or 13 to make it and they are offended when I tell them to slow down and enjoy the time now. My parents didnt spend all of this extra money on skills and multiple teams for the entire season, I had to beg to go to 1 spring tournament and a few skates in the summer and I did just fine.
If your kid has it, he will be fine, if not, there is no amount of skills/tournaments that will change that.
Many of these parents ask about genetics, and the truth is it does make a difference 99.9% of the time. Both of my parents are 5"10', I grew to be 6"0' and I was considered small. If genetics shows you are only going to be 5"9' then i would honestly set your goals realistically, D3 is where you will belong.
1 last thing to remember is that all of these schools are finding players from all over the world who want to come and play here, so it may seem your player is right up in the top bracket of talent for your small area, he is most likely not even on the radar of most of these teams.
If you are lucky enough to be in a draft like this, enjoy it, love every minute of it.Good luck to your kids.

Fair points but you didnt mention you had $0 college debt and your cousin is probably still paying off his $250,000 in loans.

Not the previous poster, but has a similar college experience (but baseball). You miss out on a lot of experiences if you choose the athlete path. It's a big cost to pay. Maybe not $250K (or more like $125k when I went), but it's a significantly different college experience than normal.

I do not see this supplanting USHL but I guarantee the will pass all the other Tier 2 leagues within a few years. 10-15 years down who knows.

Perhaps a local plays in the USPHL, features and then does a year out west.

Perhaps they combine leagues? RG pretty good with the exit strategies you know!!

Anon
I do not see this supplanting USHL but I guarantee the will pass all the other Tier 2 leagues within a few years. 10-15 years down who knows.

Perhaps they combine leagues? RG pretty good with the exit strategies you know!!

"All the other Tier 2 leagues"? Here is the breakdown for junior in the U.S. for you:

Tier 1 - USHL

Tier 2 - NAHL

Tier 3- Every other league in the country

The USPHL announced that they would be moving to Tier 2 and granting free-to-play opportunities. Then they actually met with USA Hockey and applied. They were denied. So now, they are leaving USA Hockey and going independent.

USPHL will never surpass or be able to hang with the NAHL, and it certainly will never be in the same stratosphere as the USHL, despite how desperately hard they are trying to paint that false picture in the heads of youth parents. News flash: Vesey, Eichel, Sanford, none of them ever played in the USPHL. They played in the old EJHL, which was a great league before the greedy owners blew it up for self-gain.

Anon
Anon

"All the other Tier 2 leagues"? Here is the breakdown for junior in the U.S. for you:

Tier 1 - USHL

Tier 2 - NAHL

The USPHL announced that they would be moving to Tier 2 and granting free-to-play opportunities. Then they actually met with USA Hockey and applied. They were denied. So now, they are leaving USA Hockey and going independent.

USPHL will never surpass or be able to hang with the NAHL, and it certainly will never be in the same stratosphere as the USHL, despite how desperately hard they are trying to paint that false picture in the heads of youth parents. News flash: Vesey, Eichel, Sanford, none of them ever played in the USPHL. They played in the old EJHL, which was a great league before the greedy owners blew it up for self-gain.
So, what you're saying is that because they played in the EJ in 2011/12 and the USPHL was formed in 2012 that it was dramatically different experience?.

Anon
Anon

Tier 1 - USHL

Tier 2 - NAHL

League wasn't better and if it was only because things have become diluted. I believe those aforementioned players stayed local because they were younger and playing up. They chose that route because it made the most dense for each of them at that particular time.

As for the NAHL. As things are constituted today, the top USPHL teams would be competitive in the NAHL. Now that it will be free, it will be free it assuredly will attract more talent and become competitive top to bottom.

"If genetics shows you are only going to be 5"9' then i would honestly set your goals realistically, D3 is where you will belong."

This is so true. Go watch a good D-3 team play and you will see some great players, some that look pretty old, some that can really skate, some that are pretty good...the whole gambit but one thing I noticed is almost every kid that can actually play he is undersized for his position by D-1 standards. Sure there are a few bigger kids but they have obvious holes in their game.

Well said. Sound like a NESCAC guy!

Anon
Hey my son was traded his Peewee Major year so I think anything is possible in this lovely little game we call kiddie hockey.

Sorry your kid got traded.

Anon
Anon

Canadien jr leagues (OHL, etc) have been holding these type of drafts forever.

Anon
Anon

Right, the difference though is those leagues have legitimate hockey players. These USPHL guys think they are going to sell tickets to their games

Anon
Anon
Anon

Right, the difference though is those leagues have legitimate hockey players. These USPHL guys think they are going to sell tickets to their games

They aren't looking to raise money from ticket sales but from raising the tuition. Guess what? People will pay and so will you.