Click Here to Visit Our Facebook Page

email: icehockeydboard@yahoo.com

Youth Hockey
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Daddy coach or not Daddy coach

Which program we don't need the coaches name. I truly believe there are good/solid daddy coaches at some level. It all depends on the program and coach. Good Luck!

If your team is winning games than parents dont care if a players Dad, Uncle, Cousin, Grandfather behind the bench, but if a team is loosing, then it becomes the scapegoat. Common sense people.

Anon
If your team is winning games than parents dont care if a players Dad, Uncle, Cousin, Grandfather behind the bench, but if a team is loosing, then it becomes the scapegoat. Common sense people.
Only the parents in team gear.

anon
This coach is a keeper. I bet the whole team loves the coach. A diamond in the rough, lucky you! Can you let us know what team/organization this coach is involved with? Be nice to let the other D board folks know there are some good daddy coaches out there.

I think I know the team and have heard great things about the coach and the way he teaches the game. got a good group of kids who work hard. I will have my son try out!

anon
anon
This coach is a keeper. I bet the whole team loves the coach. A diamond in the rough, lucky you! Can you let us know what team/organization this coach is involved with? Be nice to let the other D board folks know there are some good daddy coaches out there.

I think I know the team and have heard great things about the coach and the way he teaches the game. got a good group of kids who work hard. I will have my son try out!

there is a couple of good dad coaches around. And the ones I know are not in the organizations you expect them to be.

It's been said before, but there's no way you're going to avoid having a parent coach. Or very few ways. In my experience, it helps a lot if the coach's kid is one of the best players on the team, and hurts a lot if the coach's kid is in the bottom third. So my advice is do your homework and proceed with caution.

My son also plays on a team with a father coach who rolls the lines and does not favor his son for ice time, even though in certain situations he probably should. They are out there.

My son plays for a top level 05 ehf team and it is terrible! Daddy coach is not a good thing for our team! Got to do your homework not only about coach but where the kid is relative to the others. Disaster!

could be worst, imagine being a Jr. Rangers player for that org? total free fall in all age levels!

The fact of the matter is that pretty much everyone will have to deal with their kid playing for a daddy coach until their kid is in high school. Unless you are the daddy coach. Even in high school it could happen. So buckle up, it might be a bumpy ride!

If you are fortunate enough to have a non-daddy coach at the youth level, with no agenda, and knows how to translate the game to your kid then you have found the golden unicorn.

Learn to deal with the daddy coaches. If you feel like the guy is favoring his own, which he will, but his son doesn't merit it, then too bad, get on the bench yourself, or shut your mouth or leave the program. Just know the situation may play itself out all over again in the "new" situation. It could be that your kid isn't as good as you think or wish him to be.

But do your diligence and ask around and see if anyone has had any experience with their own kid playing for the daddy coach you are about to let coach Junior for the next 8 months. If you find that in your "research" the experience was worth while for them, and the favoring wasn't so obvious, then have your kid play for that guy.

anon
The fact of the matter is that pretty much everyone will have to deal with their kid playing for a daddy coach until their kid is in high school. Unless you are the daddy coach. Even in high school it could happen. So buckle up, it might be a bumpy ride!

If you are fortunate enough to have a non-daddy coach at the youth level, with no agenda, and knows how to translate the game to your kid then you have found the golden unicorn.

Learn to deal with the daddy coaches. If you feel like the guy is favoring his own, which he will, but his son doesn't merit it, then too bad, get on the bench yourself, or shut your mouth or leave the program. Just know the situation may play itself out all over again in the "new" situation. It could be that your kid isn't as good as you think or wish him to be.

But do your diligence and ask around and see if anyone has had any experience with their own kid playing for the daddy coach you are about to let coach Junior for the next 8 months. If you find that in your "research" the experience was worth while for them, and the favoring wasn't so obvious, then have your kid play for that guy.

Exactly. Ask around! The parents of the kids who play deservingly, will say he is fair. The ones whose kids play to their surprise will say he is God. The ones who don't and so on and so on.

Depending where you sit, you can come on the D Board and praise, bash, stir, pontificate , Cringe and hopefully most all... Laugh.

anon
Found a "unicorn" last year, chose to stay with the team in large part because of it. Unicorn added a Daddy Coach for this year as a part of a package deal for players - if you want the players, you need to put me on the bench. By the time I knew about it, it was too late. Predictable results, too.

anon
anon
Found a "unicorn" last year, chose to stay with the team in large part because of it. Unicorn added a Daddy Coach for this year as a part of a package deal for players - if you want the players, you need to put me on the bench. By the time I knew about it, it was too late. Predictable results, too.

It always will be predictable - any Daddy who is determined through "deals" and butt kissing to be on the bench is a sign of trouble - he's either power hungry or his kid probably sucks, and most likely, both.

Same goes for the goaltender parents who INSIST their kid is the ONLY goaltender or they won't play.

These two groups of people will bring down a team fast.