Click Here to Visit Our Facebook Page

email: icehockeydboard@yahoo.com

Youth Hockey
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Definition of insanity

This is a discussion board about youth hockey. Someone calling out an org for trotting 9 year olds out to play an 80+ season is legit. Nice find. Don't need a player involved to laugh and mock that.

I enjoy the dboard but have to admit my approach is very similar to above poster. If those kids/parents want to play 70+ games, who cares. Dirdnt affect my kid and not my business or place to judge. If you don't like your kid playing that much simply don't put them in a league that does. Done kids play multiple sports, some kids only play hockey. Let my kid d play summer baseball for the first time and the 10 game season became 25+ games in 6 weeks by the time tourneys and districts etc were done. Talk about burn out

When we grew up we played every day in the schoolyard or street. So must have played 200 games a year

Yeah and the 2 hours each way to and from the games, practice and 4 game weekend tournaments really took their toll. You were having fun, these kids are prepping for their future (which might be very doubtful).

anon
This is a discussion board about youth hockey. Someone calling out an org for trotting 9 year olds out to play an 80+ season is legit. Nice find. Don't need a player involved to laugh and mock that.

80? Try 90+ at that pace. I wonder if they have plans to hit 100.

Anon
So here is what I don't get yet it never ceases to amaze me. I'm guessing your not lol bing in NJ and your kid isn't on that team. So if tha is the case, why do you care enough to take the time to post about it. Let those players parent them. I'm a big believer in the burn out factor in hockey. However, I worry about it with my kid. Every kid is different but even if it may affect other kids, why are you on here complaining about a team in another state your kid isn't involved with?

Doesn't sound like he's complaining to me. The poster pointed out something interesting to start a discussion and guess what....this is a discussion board. And to use your logic, why do you even care what this poster thinks? It doesn't affect you so why bother posting about it?

The reason it warrants discussion is that those Gulls parents may be new to hockey and don't realize they should be insisting on a different approach. Or they may see how many games the Gulls played and wonder why their kid's team isn't doing that.

A kid I coached back in Mites had moved and had played 70+ game's for MFF as a 7 yo. He told me he liked our team better because we played fewer games. When 8 yo's are smarter than their parents is the true definition of insanity.

It would be interesting to see how many kids could go through a pace like that for multiple seasons and stay in youth hockey? My guess you would lose more than keep in the sport.

Anon
It would be interesting to see how many kids could go through a pace like that for multiple seasons and stay in youth hockey? My guess you would lose more than keep in the sport.
That's true generally. Something like 75% of all hockey players leave the sport by HS. So you'd have to look at the ratio of those that stay and compare if it's different between the ones playing 70+ games as Mites and Squirts versus those that don't.

Which, of course, is a theoretical exercise, because no one will ever study it.

The MFF kid I was referring to is still in the sport, BTW. Junior in HS playing public school varsity.

Burnout is one thing but what I've found interesting in the kids I've watched play and as they get older is how many fail to improve as they age. Some I've seen stall-out as freshmen making varsity and by the time they're 18 they aren't any better than they were when they were 14. Some you see from 16 to 17 and not one lick of improvement and some actually decline.

So just because the kid plays 75 games a year as an 8 year old it is no assurance the kid will a)be any good as a teenager and b) will want to stay with the game.

anon
Anon
That's true generally. Something like 75% of all hockey players leave the sport by HS. So you'd have to look at the ratio of those that stay and compare if it's different between the ones playing 70+ games as Mites and Squirts versus those that don't.

Which, of course, is a theoretical exercise, because no one will ever study it.

The MFF kid I was referring to is still in the sport, BTW. Junior in HS playing public school varsity.

You wonder if the 75% who leave is related to kids not being good enough to play in high school as much as anything else? If you're a mediocre player you kind of run out of places to play after bantams. Don't you?

Of course the checking aspect claims kids as well.

At the recent WW Junior Championships Bracco was one of the standouts for USA. His brother is now playing for the 07 Gulls. The parents on that club are not new to hockey.

Who are the 07 Gulls?

Team from Long Island where the parents drive z28 irocs , eat lunch at strip malls, and use lots of hairspray.

Anon
Team from Long Island where the parents drive z28 irocs , eat lunch at strip malls, and use lots of hairspray.

The also get tanked at their kids hockey tourneys and play sh*tty 80s music!

Anon