Youth Hockey
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: USPHL Bantam Draft?

Anon
Anon
I love it when a a bunch of '05 and '06 parents get all worked up and start projecting what will be for their little super stars. How about you at least get your kid to high school to see if he can actually play, before you have him drafted by the USHL and NHL. Seriously, you folks are down right delusional!

I love it when people that don't know anything about prep hockey and maybe know how to spell Juniors talk about either.

Prep hockey isn't the USHL. Not any more. When decent 15 year olds can get top six minutes, it means it isn't what it used to be.

The best prep players are leaving for Juniors, or think about leaving, even for Tier 3 Juniors, when they're 17 or 18. D1 coaches don't need to see you play against 15 year olds. They want to see you play against 20 year olds, like you're going to have to in NCAA. At that point, the objective is to get drafted, so you want the shortest path possible to get to the pros. In minor league baseball terms, think of Juniors as A ball, NCAA as AA, and AHL as AAA.

And, the best prep players aren't exactly getting pushed academically. So forget that "great education" thing. They're there to play hockey. Or football. Or whatever sport they are being paid to play. Because, let's face it, free room and board and discounted tuition is getting paid to play.

How much would you say (on average) is the discount for a top level player?

Blaaaaaaaaaaaahahaha blah ha ha ha ha! "Prep hockey isn't the USHL. Not any more."

Hey gramps...psssst - it never was, what do you mean 'Not any more" ???

this argument is ridiculous .... its an age old argument over athletics vs education... is the USHL better? NO Sh** Sherlock ! I Any one who knows hockey know that the USHL is far superior ...BUT how many kids burn out and go no where, get bad habits and fail out of school?... never hear those stats... if your kid is mature and focused go for it, realize that you our now putting all your eggs in the hockey basket at 16 .....does Phillips, Groton, Deerfield etc. offer better networks for your child's future not just educationally but socially because the geek your kid might be rooming with is a senators son. Yes.. is the hockey as good...no...but you can leave school after graduating and play real JR USHAL NAHL and BCHL(is also highly recruited) and the top 5 USPHL teams .. IN THE END THE POINT IS THAT ANY COACH WILL SAY IF YOU ARE GOOD ENOUGH WE WILL FIND YOU! most will have to test themselves at JR regardless of when you choose to go,, if your good they will take you at any time on any JR team...prep Example Condon Belmont Hill - Princeton (terrible education) - NHL...every person has there path find yours

More local kids would chose to go out and play in the other leagues if they just killed most of the local junior programs. Enough. They're selling dreams and lining their pockets.

That's why I love the local kid who said 'no thanks' to the USHL and just went on to college to study and play club hockey. Way to go kid! Who needs to buy the dream.

anon
More local kids would chose to go out and play in the other leagues if they just killed most of the local junior programs. Enough. They're selling dreams and lining their pockets.

That's why I love the local kid who said 'no thanks' to the USHL and just went on to college to study and play club hockey. Way to go kid! Who needs to buy the dream.
You nailed it exactly. And this is my kid - couldn't be happier with his decisions. Enjoyed his time playing elite youth hockey and a great high school career, then moved on to college playing intramural (not club) hockey. He said he knew it was the right decision when he met the 21 year old freshmen in his dorm (he goes to a Hockey East school) that spent two years playing juniors for nothing. If the US Dev Team comes calling, go for it, otherwise as others have said - your kid isn't playing D1 hockey.

anon

PLEASE let us know who the local kid that said no to the USHL and elected to go to college and study and play club hockey. PLEASE LET US KNOW.

TJW only went to USHL bc he didn't make the U17 team. It was not strategy.

Anon
Thank you. Thought everyone knew that. Lot of "knowledge" being thrown around yesterday.

There's also another MA 2000 besides OW (if you consider him MA), TJW and JW that is in the league. See if you can find him.

Anon
Anon
Thank you. Thought everyone knew that. Lot of "knowledge" being thrown around yesterday.

There's also another MA 2000 besides OW (if you consider him MA), TJW and JW that is in the league. See if you can find him.

I give up...what's your son's initials??

Well its been a long while since I have been on here but the discussions haven't changed. My oldest wasn't good enough for USHL, stayed home, played 4 years at his high school, played a year of JRs, and is now at NESCAC school finishing up 4 years of playing and moving onto a job for the NHL.
I know it wasn't D1 but its been an awesome ride for all of us. Our youngest is a much better player and will be given more opportunities but I hope he decides a similar path because once hockey is done, you are expected to contribute in the real world, and I don't mean by working at a hockey shop!
Good luck to all of these athletes, there is a place for all of them, just dont get yourself in the way.

anon
Well its been a long while since I have been on here but the discussions haven't changed. My oldest wasn't good enough for USHL, stayed home, played 4 years at his high school, played a year of JRs, and is now at NESCAC school finishing up 4 years of playing and moving onto a job for the NHL.
I know it wasn't D1 but its been an awesome ride for all of us. Our youngest is a much better player and will be given more opportunities but I hope he decides a similar path because once hockey is done, you are expected to contribute in the real world, and I don't mean by working at a hockey shop!
Good luck to all of these athletes, there is a place for all of them, just dont get yourself in the way.[/ Iquote]

So when you say contribute to the real world you really think working for a pro team is a "contribution"?

So because your son did not make it d1 but went NESCAC he is some sort of Martyr now.

Plenty of ex D1 players now coaching,teaching, practicing medicine, etc making real contributions to society as O ppossed to selling corporate sponsorships in Worcester.

What an arrogant tool!

I'd say "Contributing to the real world" =

Paying taxes.

Being a role model for kids

Volunteering for those less fortunate

Being a good person

Leaving the world a better place than when you got here.

Anon
anon
Good luck to all of these athletes, there is a place for all of them, just dont get yourself in the way.[/ Iquote]

So when you say contribute to the real world you really think working for a pro team is a "contribution"?

So because your son did not make it d1 but went NESCAC he is some sort of Martyr now.

Plenty of ex D1 players now coaching,teaching, practicing medicine, etc making real contributions to society as O ppossed to selling corporate sponsorships in Worcester.

What an arrogant tool!

You must be a young dad, early 40's full of rage for some reason. When I say contribute to the real world, I mean you must have a substantial life after hockey and he is working for the NHL, not some team, he runs Fundraising and Charity for the league so yes it is a contribution to many kids both here in the US and Canada, you know, the stuff you never hear about, like donating sticks to inner cities, or running camps in a Canadian Village on their local outside rink because they cant afford skill sessions or donating millions to kids hospitals.
If you want to call him am Martyr fine by me but he is too humble to go by that.
I agree with your last point except for the selling corporate sponsorship in Worcester, I would still rather my son do that then sharpen skates, you confuse arrogance with self-confidence. Good luck my friend.

anon
Anon
anon

What an arrogant tool!

You must be a young dad, early 40's full of rage for some reason. When I say contribute to the real world, I mean you must have a substantial life after hockey and he is working for the NHL, not some team, he runs Fundraising and Charity for the league so yes it is a contribution to many kids both here in the US and Canada, you know, the stuff you never hear about, like donating sticks to inner cities, or running camps in a Canadian Village on their local outside rink because they cant afford skill sessions or donating millions to kids hospitals.
If you want to call him am Martyr fine by me but he is too humble to go by that.
I agree with your last point except for the selling corporate sponsorship in Worcester, I would still rather my son do that then sharpen skates, you confuse arrogance with self-confidence. Good luck my friend.

Ouch!

Sounds like this guy hit the old nail on the head.

I'd say "Contributing to the real world" =

Paying taxes.

Being a role model for kids

Volunteering for those less fortunate

Being a good person

Leaving the world a better place than when you got here.

anon
anon
Anon
anon

What an arrogant tool!

Ouch!

Ha, ouch? Not so much. Rage, nah, not really. I just thing you are a tool.

I just thing you are an arrogant guy who has an aire of superiority about you. I could be wrong, though I doubt it.

In a few years when your younger one goes NESCAC and ends up in high finance you can tell us all about his NESCAC education too and how he choose that path and what a wonderful contributor to society he is too.

You sir are a tool. As sure as s***, you are a tool!

Gotta go and get to the rink and crank up the old zamboni.

Anon
anon
anon
Anon
anon

What an arrogant tool!

Ouch!

I just thing you are an arrogant guy who has an aire of superiority about you. I could be wrong, though I doubt it.

In a few years when your younger one goes NESCAC and ends up in high finance you can tell us all about his NESCAC education too and how he choose that path and what a wonderful contributor to society he is too.

MH & DH

Anon
anon
anon
Anon
anon

What an arrogant tool!

Ouch!

Dude, you are embarrassing yourself at this point. Your only point is that you think he is a tool, ok, we get it. If my kid goes to NESCAC and ends up in high finance, I'll be pretty excited also.

01-02 Draft Happening today

Sorry if your kid gets drafted.

Just got the call and declined

anon
Just got the call and declined

Without too many details where does your kid play now (in general terms) and has he been drafted by other leagues????

South Boston area, have not been drafted by other leagues yet, we are crossing our fingers.

The USPHL first ever futures draft will be held today at 4pm per Rochester JR Hockey Club. Good luck to all the local 01 and 02's!

anon
South Boston area, have not been drafted by other leagues yet, we are crossing our fingers.

Wait...what?!? You are holding on to hope that your son will be drafted by an unsanctioned startup junior league that is looking to transition from pay-to-play to free without a viable economic model? Oh boy, no wonder these guys get rich on hockey parents. My guess is that when you look around the table, you can't pick out the sucker.

anon
anon

Wait...what?!? You are holding on to hope that your son will be drafted by an unsanctioned startup junior league that is looking to transition from pay-to-play to free without a viable economic model? Oh boy, no wonder these guys get rich on hockey parents. My guess is that when you look around the table, you can't pick out the sucker.

No. Fingers crossed the other leagues come through, we declined this offer. Geez, take it down a few notches. Nobody getting rich from my money.

anon
anon
anon

No. Fingers crossed the other leagues come through, we declined this offer. Geez, take it down a few notches. Nobody getting rich from my money.

I see...other leagues. Fingers crossed for other leagues. My bad. Good luck to your boy.

Draft is over. Any results?

anon
Draft is over. Any results?

Bandits trade first overall pick to the Kings for an 06 team

Hopefully the USPHL NCDC does take off and becomes a viable option for local kids. Getting drafted is still cool no matter what league. It doesnt effect the kids in anyway other than positive recognition at this age. If league pans out in a few years and kids can stay closer to home an play free hockey then its a success.

anon
Hopefully the USPHL NCDC does take off and becomes a viable option for local kids. Getting drafted is still cool no matter what league. It doesnt effect the kids in anyway other than positive recognition at this age. If league pans out in a few years and kids can stay closer to home an play free hockey then its a success.

It won't. USHL teams would beat them by 2 touchdowns.

Anon
anon

It won't. USHL teams would beat them by 2 touchdowns.

As things are constituted presently the USHL would beat the top USPHL teams handily. Against the NAHL it would be closer.

Give this league a few years. If they can make it work they are likely to be on par with the NAHL and other similar leagues (BCHL ,AJHL,etc).

Down the road who knows.

anon
anon

What isn't viable about the model of charging 500 youth players $500 more to cover the expenses of "free" Juniors? Isn't that exactly how USA hockey does it, albeit over a much larger pool of players to charge?

And what's so "free" about "tuition free" hockey? Consider this:

The average player wanting to play in the NAHL last season spent $6500 in the summer attending “team camps.” That includes “pre draft,” “open” and “main” camp payments. It includes travel costs, hotel costs, meal costs and various other expenses. That is the average, and far from the maximum amount spent by some players.

anon
01-02 Draft Happening today

Any proof of this?

is it backwards to have this draft now? Why not wait until after USHL and NAHL have their draft first?

Only proof I see is the Kings posted it on Twitter this morning.

Drsft results:
http://www.usphl.com/news_article/show/751807?referrer_id=

only 1 MA player drafted by Islanders. This shows how competitive it gets and this is Tier III Juniors. A few leagues above this. USHL NAHL BCHL

anon
only 1 MA player drafted by Islanders. This shows how competitive it gets and this is Tier III Juniors. A few leagues above this. USHL NAHL BCHL

Plenty of mass kids drafted throughout league. Most will end up in USHL, but so what! This is a good start for the league

All curent 01 and 02 MA players on USPHL U16 teams could have been protected by their current teams, so they could not be drafted by anone else.

check out the protected lists. That is not the case. Not many will move up from within the programs to the free junior level. Need to find the best players from all over. IHC only drafted one MA player.

Anon
anon

Plenty of mass kids drafted throughout league. Most will end up in USHL, but so what! This is a good start for the league

This is not a good start to the league, its a laughing stock and its watering down junior hockey

Anon
Anon
anon

This is not a good start to the league, its a laughing stock and its watering down junior hockey

Not a good start? Teams took basically every 01 and 02 D1 commits and a lot of these kids are NTDP contenders. Not sure you can get much better. Doesnt mean the league will be successful - but the picks are no brainers and if these kids do play in USPHL-NCDC then its promising.

anon
Anon
Anon
anon

Not a good start? Teams took basically every 01 and 02 D1 commits and a lot of these kids are NTDP contenders. Not sure you can get much better. Doesnt mean the league will be successful - but the picks are no brainers and if these kids do play in USPHL-NCDC then its promising.

Some picks are elite, some are just good players. All have promising futures. I wish them good luck

anon

Jeez, your post really sums up the draft. Plenty of MA kids drafted. The Jr Bruins picked up half of the 2001 MMF. SSK went all local as well.

anon
anon

Jeez, your post really sums up the draft. Plenty of MA kids drafted. The Jr Bruins picked up half of the 2001 MMF. SSK went all local as well.

The purpose of the USPHL draft is to keep local kids from having to go to the USHL and instead play junior hockey locally - therefore they took local players.

anon
anon
anon

The purpose of the USPHL draft is to keep local kids from having to go to the USHL and instead play junior hockey locally - therefore they took local players.

This is a great start and congratulations to those who were drafted. It is great to be recognized. In the next few years, things will shake out for this league and I am sure they will stake a claim to many of the better players in the area. It will be tough for them to supplant the kids who are ready for the USHL but outside of that league, it may be a nice option for many other players who have options in the NAHL, BCHL, AJHL, etc