Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: T1 vs Elite Squirts

Anon
Finally....
Anon
The difference is that Tier 1 is basically useless as no one cares .

Elite level NHL scouts are at all the games ....

No really each NHL team has separate scouts just for the EHF , they are at 90 percent of all the games at all age levels .

Face it there is no other league in the country that can compare , not even close and the NHL knows it .

Couple years from now the NHL will be about 75 percent FED kids ....

Don't let the cat out of the bag. That was the discussion about the super league in a back door meeting two nights ago between some FED owners and Gary Bettman. NHL scrapping it's current "farm" system. The new farm system will be EHF Elite. Starting at mite minor, kids will be drafted by NHL teams where the development will take place only at the EHF Elite level. Press release coming soon. Get that kid onto an EHF Elite team as soon as possible!

if you have a good coach and teammates then stick with it. You will find out how few players make it to college or the top junior leagues. Let your kid enjoy the sport.

Anon

And I'm sure his concern about scouts a his 8 years olds game is priority

Anon
Anon

And I'm sure his concern about scouts a his 8 years olds game is priority

Yeah, not my concern yet My only concern is that he won't maximize his development because he'll be playing against slightly inferior competition in T1 ... but, will he really develop more if he's playing on an Elite team with a group of average T1 talent players?

You can see the difference in the skating and how they see the game and how plays develop! At times it can be striking!!

Do everything you can to get him on the ice at a practice with the elite team. You'll see if he can hang, and it'll make your decision easier.

I agree in principle with the point that better competition/faster pace is better for development, but only if your player is good enough to actually maintain possession of the puck and make good decisions at that pace. If he's not a good enough skater yet to handle the pace at the elite level, keep him where he will be able to develop his hockey sense by actually possessing the puck, and work on improving his skating so that he can make the jump in the future.

Good luck. And don't forget the cardinal rule: don't leave a good coach for a bad one just to jump up a level.

anon
Do everything you can to get him on the ice at a practice with the elite team. You'll see if he can hang, and it'll make your decision easier.

I agree in principle with the point that better competition/faster pace is better for development, but only if your player is good enough to actually maintain possession of the puck and make good decisions at that pace. If he's not a good enough skater yet to handle the pace at the elite level, keep him where he will be able to develop his hockey sense by actually possessing the puck, and work on improving his skating so that he can make the jump in the future.

Good luck. And don't forget the cardinal rule: don't leave a good coach for a bad one just to jump up a level.

Good post. If you feel that he's the strongest skater on his current team go for a practice with the elite kids. If he's a middle of the pack skater on his current team, keep him where he is and do some outside skating development. The game is a bit faster at the elite level, even at this young age. If he's not confident on his skates it will impact him.

The worse mistake you could make would be to bring him up to an elite team and have him in the bottom 3 his first year. If he get's cut, his confidence is impacted and he may not want to make the jump the next time. Just my thoughts but if you're not convinced he'll be in the top 6 F or top 2 D, then stay put. I know it sounds silly to say top 6 and top 2 at this age but the poster above is right - confidence is a big part of development and learning to love the game.

My kid played on an "elite" team a few years ago that had horrible coaching. Coaching is the biggest thing not the Elite tag. Parents get way too wrapped up in the Elite nonsense. Good luck

06 Flames are looking for kids

All offering advice are correct:
*The longer you stay at Tier 1, the harder it is to move to an "elite" team
*Skating with better players will help your player develop
*Playing against higher end competition will help development
*Coaching is more important than the elite tag or the organization badge
*Do your homework
I guess what I haven't seen offered & it's possible I missed it, if your child moves to the new team & he's the best on that team, he won't develop any faster and could develop some really bad habits as he tries to compensate for those around him, especially if the team isn't competitive.

If your current coach is good, your child gets along well with his teammates and they are competitive, I would probably stay if the elite team isn't squared away. If you really want to develop him & can afford the additional costs, get him some outside assistance, that will help make up for the lack of superior competition. If the elite team is squared away and he isn't 3rd line or bottom pairing and he fits in and the coaching appears good , than go for it.