email: icehockeydboard@yahoo.com

Youth Hockey
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Town A vs Tier I white vs. BHL national

anon
Depends on the kids birth year. My son is an 2005 so town is a better option (he plays both town & tier 1 white) because ever town game he plays against kids who are 2004 birth years. Now next year I don't think it will be better when he plays against 2006.

Serious question, is town really same or better than the t1 white league you are playing in?

For my kid, yes. Absolutely. The kids on his club team actually show up to practice. They're serious about hockey and want to get better. When we were in town it was a joke. It was a recreational activity and his teammates showed up when they didn't have a basketball game, ski trip, birthday party, or whatever else to do.

I'll take the extra cost to have my kid play with teammates and coaches who actually care and want to be there.

Anon
For my kid, yes. Absolutely. The kids on his club team actually show up to practice. They're serious about hockey and want to get better. When we were in town it was a joke. It was a recreational activity and his teammates showed up when they didn't have a basketball game, ski trip, birthday party, or whatever else to do.

I'll take the extra cost to have my kid play with teammates and coaches who actually care and want to be there.
This is the primary reason any of these teams/leagues are better, because the kids that are serious about it gravitate away from the town leagues, which are becoming much more recreational. Nothing wrong with that, it's just the way it is.

Finally, someone who gets it! These low level select programs that everyone bashes is great for kids that are serious and want to get better. My son started in the EMHL and now plays in T1 Black....select is much better than town at any level!

You're lumping "town" into a single option when there is usually a significant difference between Town A and the lower level teams. You wouldn't compare the EHF to some other league without distinguishing between EHF Elite and Tier 1 Black/White. Some of the Town A teams are pretty competitive, but usually because they are filled with club players.

anon
OK, so let's eliminate the EHF Elite and E9 and also eliminate the EHF Tier I Black and BHL American divisions to make it more interesting. That being said, is there really any difference between Town A(1) hockey vs the EHF Tier I White and BHL National divisions??? Most kids playing in those low level select hockey divisions got cut from their Town A(1) teams.......

Who cares you fool!!'
If your kid is playing in those leagues at that level they are playing for fun and development not the D1 ride!!!!!!
They most likely have a coach that is a little better that some townie dad behind the bench and gets set practice and nice uni's
So let It go you fool

Anon
anon
OK, so let's eliminate the EHF Elite and E9 and also eliminate the EHF Tier I Black and BHL American divisions to make it more interesting. That being said, is there really any difference between Town A(1) hockey vs the EHF Tier I White and BHL National divisions??? Most kids playing in those low level select hockey divisions got cut from their Town A(1) teams.......

Who cares you fool!!'
If your kid is playing in those leagues at that level they are playing for fun and development not the D1 ride!!!!!!
They most likely have a coach that is a little better that some townie dad behind the bench and gets set practice and nice uni's
So let It go you fool

Agreed

Most kids on those lower tier 1 teams didnt make the town A team!!!

Do the math, they left in a rage and joined one of those money vacuums .

It depends on the town - many town programs are awful. Also, in town hockey, the teams are comprised of players from 2 years - not the one year they do in clubs. So, if your kid is a first year Squirt playing on the top town Squirt team, that's likely better than a lot of club teams that would only have kids his age.

Bottom line, every program is different - generalizations don't really work.