Click Here to Visit Our Facebook Page

email: icehockeydboard@yahoo.com

Youth Hockey
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: "Elite" MA Hockey

Another moron who leaves facts out of his argument to make his point. If you read the article that you pasted to your post you would have known Massachusetts was 2nd it putting 5 kids in the NTDP camp. Next time don't let facts get in the way of your argument.

NOTES: The 46 players on the 2017 National Team Development Program Evaluation Camp roster represent 19 different states. New York leads the way with nine natives on the roster, while Minnesota and Massachusetts are tied for second with five. California, Illinois, Michigan, New Jersey and Texas boast three players each.

What about us CT folk?

anon
Another moron who leaves facts out of his argument to make his point. If you read the article that you pasted to your post you would have known Massachusetts was 2nd it putting 5 kids in the NTDP camp. Next time don't let facts get in the way of your argument.

NOTES: The 46 players on the 2017 National Team Development Program Evaluation Camp roster represent 19 different states. New York leads the way with nine natives on the roster, while Minnesota and Massachusetts are tied for second with five. California, Illinois, Michigan, New Jersey and Texas boast three players each.

Not the OP, but don't you think there are more than 67 percent more players in MA than there are in CA, NJ, or TX? I think that's the point he is trying to make. Where can we look up the number of youth players by state to see if NY has 80 percent more than MA?

At the risk of being called a loser because I looked this up:

MA and NY had about the same number of youth players in 2015-16. MI was right there too, but MN was higher by about 15 percent. I will now head over to the Minnesota hockey dboard and ask them what is wrong with their system that they can't produce NTDP-caliber players.

http://assets.ngin.com/attachments/document/0100/7886/15-16_Final_Reports.pdf

BTW NJ and CA are not even tabulated, but presented as part of "Atlantic" and "Pacific". Atlantic as a whole has about 70 percent of the players that Mass has, and Pacific as a whole is about the same as Mass. Those two regions seem to be fertile ground. As hockey continues to expand into these regions, it'll be harder and harder for Mass boys to make an impact on the National Team.

anon

MA and NY had about the same number of youth players in 2015-16. MI was right there too, but MN was higher by about 15 percent. I will now head over to the Minnesota hockey dboard and ask them what is wrong with their system that they can't produce NTDP-caliber players.

Think you left in the adults and the girls. MN has slightly more boys 16 and under playing than MA, but fewer in the 15-16 age group. Guess the parents in MN are more realistic, and the boys move on to the beer leagues sooner.

Anon
anon

Think you left in the adults and the girls. MN has slightly more boys 16 and under playing than MA, but fewer in the 15-16 age group. Guess the parents in MN are more realistic, and the boys move on to the beer leagues sooner.

You are right. That makes you the loser for drilling down further. :)

So while the number of MA players reaching this rarefied level has certainly gone down, perhaps it has more to do with the growth of hockey into more of a national (instead of regional) game than it does our region falling behind. Not good for MA players, but it certainly has done wonders for the US in our competition with Canada.

anon
anon

Not the OP, but don't you think there are more than 67 percent more players in MA than there are in CA, NJ, or TX? I think that's the point he is trying to make. Where can we look up the number of youth players by state to see if NY has 80 percent more than MA?
Here.

2016/2017 doesn't seem to have been published yet. But, close enough.

And, because I'm good with numbers (for a moron), and because I actually find the Future Of MA Hockey to be an interesting topic, I did the math.

There were 37,633 registered boys age 15-16. That's the relevant talent pool these 46 were pulled from. Sorry, no data to separate the 15 YOs from the 16 YOs, but fair to assume the data isn't skewed towards one versus the other.

Of these, 4,065 are from MA. That's 10.8%. Five out of 46 is 10.9%. So, MA was properly represented, pretty exactly. I stand corrected. Still think it will be fewer next year, but I'm spitballing.

4,048 are from NY. Also 10.8%. 9 out of 496 is 19.6%. So, NY is overrepresented by 4 kids.

2,973 from MI, 7.9%. Their three kids represent 6.5%. Slightly underrepresented.

2,922 from MN, 7.8%. They are overrepresented by 1 1/2 kids. Feel sorry for the half a kid.

That's as far as you can go at the state level. From there, you'd need to go by region.

Who was on the selection committee? Was there a reason for NY being about double the statistical representation?

You do realize that some other kids were invited and turned it down about a month ago, right? Or was that not in your article?

anon
You do realize that some other kids were invited and turned it down about a month ago, right? Or was that not in your article?

Let me guess...your kid? You want to give us his initials just so that we all know he is so cool that he turned away a NTDP opportunity?

anon
anon

Let me guess...your kid? You want to give us his initials just so that we all know he is so cool that he turned away a NTDP opportunity?

Who does that? Seems crazy to say no to NTDP.

Coach
anon
anon

It's a huge commitment at 15/16 years old. Living away from home, the schedule is brutal, education definitely comes second. That isn't the dream everyone has for their kid, and if he's good enough he can certainly still get to the NCAA and show his stuff there.

But, I agree, if my kid were asked, I'm helping him pack.

anon
Coach
anon
anon

It's a huge commitment at 15/16 years old. Living away from home, the schedule is brutal, education definitely comes second. That isn't the dream everyone has for their kid, and if he's good enough he can certainly still get to the NCAA and show his stuff there.

You are spot on; but if your kid is good enough to get invited, he's got options whether he goes or not.

Anon
anon
Coach
anon
anon

You are spot on; but if your kid is good enough to get invited, he's got options whether he goes or not.

^^^^^ lots of options available and the NTDP program directors are very good to work with, they understand that it is not for every kid. Very hard decision to turn down but was the right one.

Two kids from Millis MA, that both committed to same school ? Hmmmm, weird that of all the 2001's across the country and state two come from a town with 7k people ?

In any event, people need to understand that lots of really good kids who could make the program do not even pursue that route.

And where did these Mass kids play their youth hockey, that is the important question !!