Click Here to Visit Our Facebook Page

email: icehockeydboard@yahoo.com

Youth Hockey
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Private Lessons

Agree most group clinics get your kid more skating, but not individual instruction. We have done a few private lessons ($130-200/hr, prorated). Observations: this is worth it if there is something specific your kid wants to work on, and the instructor is willing to focus on that specific skill, not just have him/her skate around some cones and shoot. It is also only worth it if your kid is motivated to go home and practice it in between lessons... on a driveway, on inlines, on ice if you can get it. If your kid lacks the motivation to do that, save your money, and let them go outside and play whatever they like.

9 year old and a 10 year old.

I agree playing other sports is great. They do . . . and generally put away the skates for a large majority of the summer. However, they have expressed an interest in keeping up with hockey over the summer (in addition to baseball and soccer).

They wanted to play spring/summer hockey but I think that is too much with school and their other sports. Plan is to take at least 3 months off and then get back into it in June/July(assuming they want to).

As I said above, I think the big camps are not worth it. I think that private or small group lessons would serve them better. Agree?

I'm in the Mansfield/Easton area. Anything in this area would do(would consider anything south of Boston and even Rhode Island too).

This one should be good for some class warfare through the weekend.

My kid does a lot of private lessons. Started out doing 30 minutes once a week before school with a good and respected HS coach when he was your kids' age. Made a huge difference. Everyone - everyone - has weaknesses, and it's really the only way to work on a player's specific weaknesses.

He's continued to do them, and works with really good people that are very supportive of him. They help him mentally as much as physically at this stage.

To get the benefit out of the process, though, you have to commit to the process long-term. A lot of parents book time, bring their kid once or twice, and say "fix him." THEN you're wasting your money.

Cost is literally anywhere from $30 to $200 an hour for the coach, depending on the experience and qualifications of the instructor, plus ice. We were working with a really good coach that was charging $50, but I paid him $70 because I thought he was worth it. Now his rate is $80. He realized he was selling himself short.

I pay anywhere from $85 to $300 an hour for ice, depending on rink, time of day, and day of the week.

So, it adds up.

Hope that helps.

Anon
9 year old and a 10 year old.

I agree playing other sports is great. They do . . . and generally put away the skates for a large majority of the summer. However, they have expressed an interest in keeping up with hockey over the summer (in addition to baseball and soccer).

They wanted to play spring/summer hockey but I think that is too much with school and their other sports. Plan is to take at least 3 months off and then get back into it in June/July(assuming they want to).

As I said above, I think the big camps are not worth it. I think that private or small group lessons would serve them better. Agree?

I'm in the Mansfield/Easton area. Anything in this area would do(would consider anything south of Boston and even Rhode Island too).

I have a 10 year old goalie so it might be different but I too feel as if camps are a waste of time if the sole purpose is for the kids to learn and retain things that will help improve their game. What I am seeing now are camps that limit the number of participants to a small number so that might be worthwhile but in general I think camps can be a detriment because there is very little correction of bad habits and it's about getting all the kids through the drills. It's why I prefer private lessons. For the cost of 1 camp I can get almost 2 months of private lessons and with those lessons I get a coach who can pinpoint problem areas and work on them as well as making sure he is doing the basics. It has improved his game quite a bit.

The hockey season is very long so a break is needed in my opinion. I think spring and summer hockey is mostly bad and a waste of money however my son does get the hockey bug so he'll do 1 or 2 tournaments during the spring and summer and that seems to keep him happy. In general though he starts around July with lessons until December where he gets a little break and then picks it back up in January up until the week befor try outs. It's a big commitment. Including games, he's on the ice six days a week some times during the season but he loves it and loves how it has improved his game. It's given him a lot of confidence.

Great feedback in this thread. Did a bit of research on the figure skating idea and it seems to have had a great effect on many players. Who knew. Already lined up a few names for the summer.

Some good recommendations on coaches. Unfortunately, most are simply too far away with our busy schedule. Hoping to find a decent guy south of Boston that does small group coaching (focusing on stickhandling mostly). The search continues.

Thanks!

Anon
Great feedback in this thread. Did a bit of research on the figure skating idea and it seems to have had a great effect on many players. Who knew. Already lined up a few names for the summer.

Some good recommendations on coaches. Unfortunately, most are simply too far away with our busy schedule. Hoping to find a decent guy south of Boston that does small group coaching (focusing on stickhandling mostly). The search continues.

Thanks!

You could also just give your kid a golf ball and use youtube to look up ideas on stickhandling. You would be surprised what 15 minutes a day could do for your kid.

Anon

Thanks!

Andy Bezeau

Anon

Thanks!
Focus on skating. After that, skating. Then, skating.

Around 13-14 years old my son did a small group (3 kids) skating session for 2 hours a week for 6 weeks. Was the best money we ever spent in hockey. Made a huge difference.

The class warfare comment made me chuckle. I sure hope it doesn't turn into that.

Sounds like private lessons have helped your kids. Would you be willing to share the names of the programs/coaches used?

Find a figure skating teacher with some experience working in hockey and see if she will work with your kids. Do half our sessions 1 or 2 times a week during summer and kids will be skating circles around the kids that went to 6 tournaments... most of the hockey skating gurus come from figure skating and lots of NHL guys now employing 5 ft tall women to teach them to skate.... then buy 100 pucks and a net and leave them in the driveway...if they never get used it will tell you something.

Private lessons will be the difference maker between two kids who are almost there.

I mean Hannafin did fine in the EHF but credits his success to private lessons with the Lovell's. Same thing with Gaudette.

Dynamic, Paul Vincents, Ken Hodge's ( New outfit). All are cut from the same cloth and will give your kid the individualized attention and correct flaws. Expensive but far less than private lessons. Make sure your kid continues skating and working on what he learns in his spare time.

Private lessons will help with game scenarios/situations as the instructor can walk through these step by step with your kid, but you have to have a plan.
If you are looking for skating improvement, try a small group setting to help with costs. If your son is forward, don't go to a coach who specializes on D play, etc..
There are a lot of instructors to choose from, dont just pick based off name, talk to the instructor with your kid, you will quickly get the feeling if its a good fit.
Remember, most people on this board make $25-$55 per hour, be wise when you are going to drop $100.00-$200.00 per hour once a week if not more.

anon
Dynamic, Paul Vincents, Ken Hodge's ( New outfit). All are cut from the same cloth and will give your kid the individualized attention and correct flaws. Expensive but far less than private lessons. Make sure your kid continues skating and working on what he learns in his spare time.
We've done these, and I'm a fan. They will help your kid to improve. These are not the same as private lessons.

Got a website for Ken Hodge?

Anon
Got a website for Ken Hodge?

Called Elite Skills.

anon
Around 13-14 years old my son did a small group (3 kids) skating session for 2 hours a week for 6 weeks. Was the best money we ever spent in hockey. Made a huge difference.

Find 1 or 3 teammates or friends with an equal drive to get better and defray the cost of the private lesson. Choose carefully (coach/instructor as well as other kids), and if you do it right your kid will benefit greatly from a regular program over the spring/summer months.