email: icehockeydboard@yahoo.com

Youth Hockey
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Coaching Clinic

Coach
Just registered for Level 4 clinic. $250 and a weekend at the Dedham Hilton. Can't wait. I can only assume the content will be as terrible as the online course I just needed to take. Waste of time, waste of money. A complete joke. How much are the jokers out in Colorado making off me I wonder?
ouch, going in with that attitude will make for a long weekend. now maybe because my possession requires a fair amount of continuing education i am used to it. you go for the materials and hopefully to learn an item or two you can use. yes that means the other hours are frankly better spent watching the grass grow but...

the conference is (was for me) 20 hours. it is broken into 20, 50 minute seminars. each being a different topic by a different person. the truth is most speakers are attempting to sell their product. yep its a 50 minute infomercial. BUT there are a couple that are really good and they can come from ones you'd never expect: the goalie coach (i was expecting a series of goalie only drills) instead he showed typical drills then by tweaking them, some slightly, would be helpful not only to the goalie but the skaters. the one i was dreading the most - nutrition, was the most polished, dynamic of them all (we all know alcohol is bad but she used graphs to show the impact of drinking and poor eating habits to performance). btw both of these waited until the very end to say 'i have a book if you want more'.

there was a couple of college coaches with nothing to sell that offered some useful information on team dynamics, schemes and expectations. the betters ones mixed in some real life stories.

the rest were dreadful including some i was looking forward to.

good luck.

Coach
Just registered for Level 4 clinic. $250 and a weekend at the Dedham Hilton. Can't wait. I can only assume the content will be as terrible as the online course I just needed to take. Waste of time, waste of money. A complete joke. How much are the jokers out in Colorado making off me I wonder?

Waaaaaaaa....$250.00 How about the parents paying 3-4k plus for their kid to be coached by a guy whining about a coaching clinic.

Suck it up baby.

anon
Coach

Waaaaaaaa....$250.00 How about the parents paying 3-4k plus for their kid to be coached by a guy whining about a coaching clinic.

Suck it up baby.
And THIS is why they can't convince people to coach youth hockey. Or referee.

#entitledmillenials

Anon
anon
Coach

Suck it up baby.
And THIS is why they can't convince people to coach youth hockey. Or referee.

#entitledmillenials

Not at all - if you really WANT to coach, you go to the clinic, pay the fee, and eal with it.

If you DON'T want to coach - DON'T go to the clinic and pay the fee and you're all set.

No one is holding a gun to your head to coach - it's a CHOICE - you make choice A or choice B then shut up about it.

USA Hockey is a total money grab. I have to pay out of my pocket to get a usa hockey number, take online classes and take a weekend coaching clinic in order to volunteer to help coach my sons town hockey team. I am thinking of jumping to a club team next year. . Do the club teams follow USA hockey like it is the Bible?

Anon
USA Hockey is a total money grab. I have to pay out of my pocket to get a usa hockey number, take online classes and take a weekend coaching clinic in order to volunteer to help coach my sons town hockey team. I am thinking of jumping to a club team next year. . Do the club teams follow USA hockey like it is the Bible?
No. Most don't require you be patched. Kid will still have to join USAH every year, but that's about it.

I'll spend a week at the clinic if they help me be a better coach. Show me how to teach kids to shoot using the new sticks (which aren't that new anymore), help me a better at coaching edge work and proper skating stride, help me run a better practice, etc...instead I Learn that drugs are bad and kids need a good night sleep...that's great but I'm coaching 11 year olds...can I tell their parents what to feed their kids and force them to go to bed at a reasonable hour...that's my frustration. I walk away feeling like it's a complete money grab. Just make me write my check and give me my weekend back.

Anon
Anon
No. Most don't require you be patched. Kid will still have to join USAH every year, but that's about it.

I guess it depends on the program because all coaches in my program are patched and up-to-date on training. The program admin keeps on top of it.

Also, you can't get a stamped USA Hockey roster if the coaches are not patched.

Coach

Who cares!!! DO YOUR JOB!!!

Just a question. Do youth hockey receive a salary or are they strictly volunteers.

ANON
Just a question. Do youth hockey receive a salary or are they strictly volunteers.

Either salary or your child plays for free. This is the standard.

Anon
ANON

Either salary or your child plays for free. This is the standard.

And bender kid plays on top line and PP

Coach

So you have sat through Level 1, 2 and 3 and are unsure of what to expect to the point of ******** about going to an optional program ?

You don't need your level 4, so cancel or stop whining !

Level 4 is not optional when you have a level 3 and have re-certified online 2 times.

After 2 level 3 re-certifications you must do a level 4 in order to continue to coach or at least be in compliance with the USA hockey coaching rules.