email: icehockeydboard@yahoo.com

Youth Hockey
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Does EHF, E9 really matter?

Anon
Shhhhhhh! I'm going to tell you a little secret that none of these youth organizations want you to know. Don't tell anyone...OK?

No player is getting scouted by anyone of importance before bantams/U14...

Clearly you haven't been to a 08 FED game recently, have you. If you had, you'd have noticed all of the middle aged guys sitting in the stands in groups of two or three, wearing sweatsuits, keeping notes and taking videos. If those guys aren't scouts, then who are they? And if they're not scouts, then why would they all run over to the coaches and talk them up after each game? That's right, Scouts! And they everywhere! Not so smart now, are you Mr. I've got secret! DI here we come!

FED is more heavily scouted and appreciated by both prep and college coaches.
Faster, nastier and more high end skill. However, in my opinion coaching and team quality trumps competition.
Good luck!

yawn

Ask a serious question, get a few serious answers, then the sweat hogs take over. Mister Carter...

So how do you get into prep school if no one is watching til U14??

Op
So how do you get into prep school if no one is watching til U14??
Ummm, get good grades, interview well, and start saving up?

My son currently attends a Keller Div. ISL school. There is this misconception out there that Prep schools are letting bunches of athletes attend for little to no money. It just isn't true. Yes, there are some, but not as many as people will lead you to think.

For you to get 85%, 95% of the cost covered by the school, your kid will be very well known on the national landscape (yes, the schools recruit athletes nationally), and you'll be working with an NHL certified advisor.

Beyond that, it will first of all depend on financial need, and how much the school wants your kid. Being an athlete will help him get in, but don't expect to pay close to next to nothing.

I know LOTS of parents that went through the process, in different sports, and then were surprised at how much of the bill they are still expected to foot.

So, assuming you are willing to pay $30,000 a year personally, how it works is that you go through the admissions process, and during the planning process you ask to meet with one of the coaches. When you meet with them, you talk about the prospects of your kid coming to their school as an athlete. They will do their research, probably come see him play, and the dialogue continues from there.

League doesn't matter, as long as he plays in a strong program and is one of the best on that team.

Anon
FED is more heavily scouted and appreciated by both prep and college coaches.
Faster, nastier and more high end skill. However, in my opinion coaching and team quality trumps competition.
Good luck!

Your an idiot, no one is scouting youth games

Anon
Please no E9 bashing . This is a serious question. There are a lot of good players in both leagues. If parents of older kids could way in, that would be appreciated. Which gets more exposure? Does either league get better prep school scouting ? Does it matter in the quest for college hockey? What is the opinion of prep/hs coaches- do they care? Serious replies only.

As a dad of a kid playing juniors right now whose kid played in both the EHF and the equivalent of the E9 (NEHL American 4-5 years ago), I can honestly say that there is no "exposure" for prep school in either league. No coaches are coming out to watch youth hockey games at the squirt or peewee level. Its just not going to happen.

The exposure did not start until 16u hockey. Anything before that was just about playing against the best competition you could play against and improving as a player.

Don't pick a youth hockey league based on exposure cause there is none - pick it on coaching and competition and pick a situation where your kid is challenged but can also compete at that level and is not over his head cause it should still be FUN.

anon
Anon
Please no E9 bashing . This is a serious question. There are a lot of good players in both leagues. If parents of older kids could way in, that would be appreciated. Which gets more exposure? Does either league get better prep school scouting ? Does it matter in the quest for college hockey? What is the opinion of prep/hs coaches- do they care? Serious replies only.

As a dad of a kid playing juniors right now whose kid played in both the EHF and the equivalent of the E9 (NEHL American 4-5 years ago), I can honestly say that there is no "exposure" for prep school in either league. No coaches are coming out to watch youth hockey games at the squirt or peewee level. Its just not going to happen.

The exposure did not start until 16u hockey. Anything before that was just about playing against the best competition you could play against and improving as a player.

Don't pick a youth hockey league based on exposure cause there is none - pick it on coaching and competition and pick a situation where your kid is challenged but can also compete at that level and is not over his head cause it should still be FUN.

Youth hockey should be "FUN"? Get a load of this hippie.

Anon
It makes absolutely no difference. No reasonable person on here would tell you otherwise. I've had a kid play in both leagues (now in college after a solid HS hockey career) and another still playing youth hockey, and I'd say the EHF is much better run as an organization and the playoff format more fun for the kids. But, none of that trumps the coach, teammates and/or parents for choosing an organization. I've seen great players emerge from both and kids quit the game from both. In the end, never during my kid's time in high school did the topic of where anyone played youth hockey come up. By then it's a distant memory.

THIS is what the boards are good for! Great info inbetween all the douchebaggery!

Anon
Anon
It makes absolutely no difference. No reasonable person on here would tell you otherwise. I've had a kid play in both leagues (now in college after a solid HS hockey career) and another still playing youth hockey, and I'd say the EHF is much better run as an organization and the playoff format more fun for the kids. But, none of that trumps the coach, teammates and/or parents for choosing an organization. I've seen great players emerge from both and kids quit the game from both. In the end, never during my kid's time in high school did anyone ask where he played youth hockey. No one cares.

Leagues 100% matter do not listen to this foolishness. If you have a mite-bantam that legitimately excels at the sport you bring him to a team in a LEAGUE where he will be challenged week in and week out, period.

Forget names like EHF or BHL, that part I agree with. You bring your child to play his best, against the best.

It is undisputed that the true superstars from our area over the last 15 years play in the top leagues. These kids flock to the higher end club programs. Over the years its the VJW, IHC, MMF, Eagles, Whalers...etc. All age levels.

You don't see the high end kids spending their development years in the EMHL or BHL. Simply put, it is not challenging. They gravitate towards the better leagues with better competition. The guy above is hung up on the name of the league or the "elite" thing. I agree no coach is going to ask you where you played youth hockey, but the elephant in the room is that we KNOW where he played youth hockey.

CEP Level x a million
Anon
Anon
It makes absolutely no difference. No reasonable person on here would tell you otherwise. I've had a kid play in both leagues (now in college after a solid HS hockey career) and another still playing youth hockey, and I'd say the EHF is much better run as an organization and the playoff format more fun for the kids. But, none of that trumps the coach, teammates and/or parents for choosing an organization. I've seen great players emerge from both and kids quit the game from both. In the end, never during my kid's time in high school did anyone ask where he played youth hockey. No one cares.

Leagues 100% matter do not listen to this foolishness. If you have a mite-bantam that legitimately excels at the sport you bring him to a team in a LEAGUE where he will be challenged week in and week out, period.

Forget names like EHF or BHL, that part I agree with. You bring your child to play his best, against the best.

It is undisputed that the true superstars from our area over the last 15 years play in the top leagues. These kids flock to the higher end club programs. Over the years its the VJW, IHC, MMF, Eagles, Whalers...etc. All age levels.

You don't see the high end kids spending their development years in the EMHL or BHL. Simply put, it is not challenging. They gravitate towards the better leagues with better competition. The guy above is hung up on the name of the league or the "elite" thing. I agree no coach is going to ask you where you played youth hockey, but the elephant in the room is that we KNOW where he played youth hockey.
You contradicted yourself. You said "If you have a mite-bantam that legitimately excels at the sport you bring him to a team in a LEAGUE where he will be challenged week in and week out, period" but then also said "You don't see the high end kids spending their development years in the EMHL or BHL." If, at a particular age, the EMHL or BHL is the right level to challenge your kid, that's where he should play - at that time. Why put him on a team where he's struggling to play above his level?

If you truly think these kids are anointed at Mite Development level, you don't understand much about child development. My kid played Town B as a Squirt, and (what is now) BHL and EMHL as a PeeWee. I can make a VERY long list of kids that were "elite" as Mites and Squirts that aren't playing at the level he's at now. No, it's not common. But it does happen.

CEP Level x a million
Anon
Anon

Come on. What you're saying is a given to any hockey parent. But, are you seriously saying that high school coaches consider where a kid played youth hockey when evaluating players? Have you experienced this level in any way? I don't like to throw around insults but you're delusional if you think what league a kid played in has any role in what happens beyond youth hockey. A player should be in the best place for his own development and that judgment is made by the parents at first but then by the player as he matures. He should definitely not be stuck with parents hung up on the name of a league or god forbid not being on the "elite" level. I'd add what most people already know but what I've seen up close: private skating sessions, skills with a good coach and the player's inner drive all matter much more than what league he plays in. Put it all together and yes I agree the best players end up in the best leagues, but parents claiming that their 7-9 year olds are playing in a superior youth league are out of their minds.

Thread # 78159 on this subject.

And yet idiots keep responding.

Anon

^^Yes they do.

Prep Head Coaches focus on Higher End U16/U18/National level Tournaments. Assistant coaches will focus on U14/U15/U16 tournaments and kids who inquire about the school.

Please remember, a lot of the Prep Varsity teams are filled with 17-19 year olds and a few 20 year olds, if you have a U14 or U15 player be realistic, he is going to play 1, 2 or 3 years JV or Varsity B until he is physically ready to compete at that level. Not an easy pill to swallow for many families, but its the reality.

Anon
Prep Head Coaches focus on Higher End U16/U18/National level Tournaments. Assistant coaches will focus on U14/U15/U16 tournaments and kids who inquire about the school.

Please remember, a lot of the Prep Varsity teams are filled with 17-19 year olds and a few 20 year olds, if you have a U14 or U15 player be realistic, he is going to play 1, 2 or 3 years JV or Varsity B until he is physically ready to compete at that level. Not an easy pill to swallow for many families, but its the reality.
Few "walk-on" opportunities at the top Prep hockey schools. If they tell you your kid can start on JV and work his way up, they are either telling you what you want to hear, or their program isn't very good. Make sure you get some $$$ toward tuition, or at least Room & Board. If they commit $$$, they are interested. If they aren't willing to do that, good chance your kid will never see the Varsity locker room except as a team manager.

Also, rosters are growing. When I go to my kid's games, some of these schools have promised so many kids Varsity spots they need bigger benches.

Anon

If you don't like it, don't click on it....

Prep schools start sniffing around the rinks at pee wee major. Focus on kids who play for coaches with pedigree and a few of the well known spring/summer hockey teams.

Anon
Prep schools start sniffing around the rinks at pee wee major. Focus on kids who play for coaches with pedigree and a few of the well known spring/summer hockey teams.

#fakenews

Prez
Anon

#fakenews

You want to talk fakenews. If you Wikipedia E9 it states that the E9 is widely considered the premier youth hockey league in New England. This couldn't be further from the truth. FED is Premier/Elite/BOSS and E9 Tier1.

Anon
Prez
Anon

#fakenews

You want to talk fakenews. If you Wikipedia E9 it states that the E9 is widely considered the premier youth hockey league in New England. This couldn't be further from the truth. FED is Premier/Elite/BOSS and E9 Tier1.

FED is the equivalent of the NHL (for youths) and E9 the AHL.

Anon
Anon
Prez
Anon

#fakenews

So when an E9 (AHL) team beats a FED (NHL) team, the excuses start flying on the FED side. Its happened already this year and in previous years. Love how Gallant and Larue try to hide this stuff from the public. They need to grow a pair.

baseball is the most American sport
Anon
Anon
Prez
Anon

#fakenews

So when an E9 (AHL) team beats a FED (NHL) team, the excuses start flying on the FED side. Its happened already this year and in previous years. Love how Gallant and Larue try to hide this stuff from the public. They need to grow a pair.

What you talkin bout willis.

Anon
baseball is the most American sport
Anon
Anon
Prez
Anon

#fakenews

What you talkin bout willis.

Baseball is no longer the most American sport. The Dominican Republic can claim that title. The most American sport is beer pong. True and sad.

Anon
Anon
Prez
Anon

#fakenews

You have to get a grip. Why don't you try and figure out which little league is the MLB equivalent (for youths). You sound like a lunatic.

Prez
Anon

#fakenews

sorry your kids team isn't on any prep coach's radar...

Anon
Prez
Anon

#fakenews

sorry your kids team isn't on any prep coach's radar...

I'm sorry you can't come up with something more original than "your kid" whatever.

Brutal come back skippy

Anon
Anon

Spot on. Another thing to remember, prep coaches have their own teams to run and aren't going to any tournaments, games, etc. once their season begins. If you know some of the coaches, you may see some at a game or two in Sept & Oct but once they start their preseason camp, you won't see them again until spring. BTW, you will see them at both E9 & EHF games, they don't care about the league, they care about the player that is on their radar.

One more unsolicited piece of advice, if your kids goal is to play prep as part of his bigger plan, don't let him get discouraged when he isn't recruited as an 8th grader. Every year kids graduate from good prep schools that come in as junior repeats or do a PG year.

anon
Anon
Anon

Spot on. Another thing to remember, prep coaches have their own teams to run and aren't going to any tournaments, games, etc. once their season begins. If you know some of the coaches, you may see some at a game or two in Sept & Oct but once they start their preseason camp, you won't see them again until spring. BTW, you will see them at both E9 & EHF games, they don't care about the league, they care about the player that is on their radar.

One more unsolicited piece of advice, if your kids goal is to play prep as part of his bigger plan, don't let him get discouraged when he isn't recruited as an 8th grader. Every year kids graduate from good prep schools that come in as junior repeats or do a PG year.
Preps have scouts that go to games (including out of area games) pretty much year round. Usually an assistant coach. So yes, you're right, you do see them more outside of the season, but they're still scouting during the season. I've seen my kid's school's scout on a random Wednesday (game day, so usually classes end early, game or practice may be later) to see two good teams play a 3PM game.

They also are watching summer tournaments, half season games, U18 games, And, they have active dialogues with area skills guys and, of course, legit family advisors.

I know one Prep scout that left his school this summer to scout for the Sabres. Athletic success = larger alumni donations. It's big business for some schools, and they treat is as such.

EHF and E9 tElite teams do not select the best talent. Every team has some politically selected players so does it really matter? Do you think every EHF and E9 teams are selected solely on talent? NO!
if little Johnny is good enough, he will get seen

EHF does not claim to develop players, and they definitely do not. At all age levels the EHF Teams are always looking to acquire players that were developed by other teams in other leagues by other coaches, to join EHF Teams. This is why overall the ehf has more skilled players on more teams. The EHF coaches are managers of the players their ownership or club marketing can deliver to them. You will not see much individual improvement in players skills, more time is spent looking for the the weak spots on the team, and how that weak spot can be eliminated.
Like it or not, it's the business model for the EHF, and it WORKS!
Don't worry about the coaching, just make sure little johnny can keep his skills up.

Anon
EHF does not claim to develop players, and they definitely do not. At all age levels the EHF Teams are always looking to acquire players that were developed by other teams in other leagues by other coaches, to join EHF Teams. This is why overall the ehf has more skilled players on more teams. The EHF coaches are managers of the players their ownership or club marketing can deliver to them. You will not see much individual improvement in players skills, more time is spent looking for the the weak spots on the team, and how that weak spot can be eliminated.
Don't worry about the coaching, just make sure little johnny can keep his skills up.

I don't think that, in of itself, is true at all. Development, Coaching, Systems all happen at as high of a level at the FED as any league. Obviously, some teams, organizations do a better job than others. The FED does cherry pick kids for sure. Mostly it is players/parents who want to play at the highest level. Nothing wrong with that.

I think this whole, " Yeah the FED maybe a better league but they don't develop kids" is a misnomer. Of course they do. Most of the better players go outside of their organization for additional skills, opportunities anyway but the coaching, skills, experience is completely independent of the league.

Parents, enjoy the ride. Hopefully your players make it to the highest level. Either way, hopefully you and they have many great memories to cherish.

IMHO

anon
Anon

I don't think that, in of itself, is true at all. Development, Coaching, Systems all happen at as high of a level at the FED as any league. Obviously, some teams, organizations do a better job than others. The FED does cherry pick kids for sure. Mostly it is players/parents who want to play at the highest level. Nothing wrong with that.

I think this whole, " Yeah the FED maybe a better league but they don't develop kids" is a misnomer. Of course they do. Most of the better players go outside of their organization for additional skills, opportunities anyway but the coaching, skills, experience is completely independent of the league.

Parents, enjoy the ride. Hopefully your players make it to the highest level. Either way, hopefully you and they have many great memories to cherish.

IMHO

In my experience, the EHF Elite teams are more focused on winning at the younger ages, since being ranked in the Top 5 as squirts/peewees is what strengthens their brand image and attracts the top talent. Many times (not all), this means that the better players get a disproportionate share of playing time, especially on special teams or at the end of games. Many times (not all), this means that players are introduced to system hockey at a younger age at the expense of more skills-based practices.

It's up to the family to decide whether this approach to youth hockey is best for their child. If your kid is in the top third of one of these teams, this can represent a great development opportunity for the player.

If your player is *not* in the top third of his team, it can still be a great development opportunity for the player, but this is where the parents' judgement should kick in. The parents should consider whether the more competitive level of play (but less playing time and possibly fewer puck touches) is a good trade-off for a team that rolls lines (giving your guy more equitable ice time and more chances to compete) and focuses practices mostly on skill development, easing into systems and team play at the peewee level.

I've made a lot of sweeping generalizations in the previous two paragraphs, I know. There are EHF Elite teams that take a more balanced approach, and E9 teams that are out for the win at all costs. But as a general rule, I've found the above to be true. Bottom line: make sure you know where your kid's coach stands before you commit to anything. It really is all about the coaching staff.

The best option for your kid is the one that gets him ready for the next level. It's very difficult to put aside your ego and make a choice that others perceive could be a step down, but parents should be honest about what their kid needs in order to reach their (the player's) hockey goals, and the player's hockey goals should really be focused on their post-youth hockey career.

After that long post, here are my preemptive answers: yes my kid played EHF Elite, yes my kid was middle of the pack, yes he was short shifted and the team focused too much on winning, yes we left for an E9 team, no he did not get cut, yes it was the right move for him, yes he has been "recruited" back to EHF Elite, yes he would probably be top third, no he did not accept, and yes he can't wait for HS hockey.

Anon

Oh, it matters all right.

1. A player develops on his own. The color of his uniform doesnt develop anything.
2. Playing against the best competition DOES help in development.
3. The EHF DOES have more talent and gets more "looks" from prep coaches.
4. There are good players in the E9 but they are often overlooked since they arent playing against the best competition.
5. If you have the option of playing EHF vs E9 - I pick EHF everytime for reasons stated above.
These are just my 2 cents of going through the process already.

Nothing counts until U14. At U14 prep coaches begin to learn who the kids are by either parents reaching out or coaches going to showcases. Showcases are mostly during the spring / summer. By this age it makes no difference what league the kids are in and actually this year the leagues are playing each other quite a bit and no one seems to care. Parents are just grateful there are good quality games between the two.

If the argument is how does a kid get good up to U14, if EHF is better than e9 in this regard. Maybe. Maybe not. I would argue it doesn't matter looking at the rosters of these teams now and where they came from and where they are going.

Great info! Thx for all the insights