email: icehockeydboard@yahoo.com

Youth Hockey
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Does IHC own MyHockeyRankings?

Anon
All Tier 2 teams seem to weighted evenly regardless of league, which would skew the rankings considerably. It seems that the formula weighs EMHL games evenly with Their 1 Black/white/silver/BHL American games. That would be a mistake and effectively render the Mass. T2 rankings useless.

How can an EMHL team, having only played EMHL games have a considerably higher strength of schedule quotient than a T1 Black team that has played Tier 1 black league games, and tourney games vs legit AAA Elite teams?
Umm, forget the rankings, Mass Tier 2 hockey is useless. It's recreational, house hockey. At most, a place for your kid to spend a year developing, and then moving on. Otherwise,. it's just for fun, and then rankings don't really matter, now do they?

Anon
All Tier 2 teams seem to weighted evenly regardless of league, which would skew the rankings considerably. It seems that the formula weighs EMHL games evenly with Their 1 Black/white/silver/BHL American games. That would be a mistake and effectively render the Mass. T2 rankings useless.

How can an EMHL team, having only played EMHL games have a considerably higher strength of schedule quotient than a T1 Black team that has played Tier 1 black league games, and tourney games vs legit AAA Elite teams?

This is funny, thanks for the chuckle... everyone knows that Tier 1 Black White and Silver are no different from BHL and EMHL, except the parents of EHF black white and silver teams.

The weighting is the same, they are all weighted equally because they are all pretty much the same ! YOU ARE THE ONLY ONE WHO THINKS THEY ARE DIFFERENT !

Anon
...everyone knows that Tier 1 Black... are no different from BHL and EMHL....

And there it is.... the dumbest thing I've read in awhile. My kid's AA town team can handle your EMHL dusters with ease.

With all due respect, why are we talking about town hockey and different leagues that have colors associated with them under the heading of Hockey Rankings? If anyone's point is that rankings at this level are not very accurate you are likely correct. I think the point of many is when you talk about the top teams in the country that are traveling and playing each other the data is good and the rankings are helpful.

ANON
With all due respect, why are we talking about town hockey and different leagues that have colors associated with them under the heading of Hockey Rankings? If anyone's point is that rankings at this level are not very accurate you are likely correct. I think the point of many is when you talk about the top teams in the country that are traveling and playing each other the data is good and the rankings are helpful.

The issues the crazies have here is that they don't see there Tier 1 Black teams at the top of rankings, and therefore go into panic mode about broken algorithms or difference of weightings. When the reality is they are ranked appropriately

Unfortunately Tier 1 Black and White parents can't see that because they have been told that their divisions are almost as good as EHF elite and those are the best kids in the world..

Total Joke, Just face the facts. Tier 1 Black has a few good players scattered throughout the league, Tier 1 White has a few players that could make the jump to Black, but overall are not very good. Tier 1 Silver is the best thing I have ever seen, its like a cruel joke on the families that they are letting go on all season instead of telling you that you are on a hidden camera tv show !!

Anon
ANON

The issues the crazies have here is that they don't see there Tier 1 Black teams at the top of rankings, and therefore go into panic mode about broken algorithms or difference of weightings. When the reality is they are ranked appropriately

Unfortunately Tier 1 Black and White parents can't see that because they have been told that their divisions are almost as good as EHF elite and those are the best kids in the world..

Total Joke, Just face the facts. Tier 1 Black has a few good players scattered throughout the league, Tier 1 White has a few players that could make the jump to Black, but overall are not very good. Tier 1 Silver is the best thing I have ever seen, its like a cruel joke on the families that they are letting go on all season instead of telling you that you are on a hidden camera tv show !!

It's D-board human nature. The rankings come out... If your team is at or better than expected, the rankings are "correct" and are "spot on."

If you bender's team is ranked lower than expected you spend the next 6 days bashing the "algorithm."

Anyone with an ounce of brain matter in the hockey world knows that those rankings may not be totally perfect, but year in and year out are very, very close to the real order in youth hockey when it comes to the top teams.

**disclaimer** Anything that happens below #20 is up for discussion as it's a perfect storm of really bad AAA teams, AA teams, Select teams, new programs etc.

All EMHL teams were ranked lower last year due to strength of schedule and goal differential...the thing that has not been mentioned is how a team is rated at the beginning of the year. The problem is that last year's ratings for all teams have not carried over as the beginning rating for the current season. Why is that?

Anon
Anon
...everyone knows that Tier 1 Black... are no different from BHL and EMHL....

And there it is.... the dumbest thing I've read in awhile. My kid's AA town team can handle your EMHL dusters with ease.

I think his point is that your kid's AA town team could also handle several of the T1 Black teams as well. It likely has a few T1 kids playing on it.

If this is true, then why are all EMHL teams ranked lower than every other league last year during the Squirt Major season? What changed if it is an algorithm calculating strength of schedule and goal differential?

BEACON
If this is true, then why are all EMHL teams ranked lower than every other league last year during the Squirt Major season? What changed if it is an algorithm calculating strength of schedule and goal differential?

Like a poster above said, if you're looking at tier 2 rankings please give it a rest. I'm certain you went to the top ranked community college as well.

The Tier 1 algorithm is off as well knucklehead!! I never made it to community college.

BACON
BEACON

Like a poster above said, if you're looking at tier 2 rankings please give it a rest. I'm certain you went to the top ranked community college as well.
Anyone that mentions "EMHL" and "rankings" in the same thought has zero credibility.

sorry your league got cut

Anon
BACON
BEACON

Anyone that mentions "EMHL" and "rankings" in the same thought has zero credibility.

Anyone that mentions algorithms and youth hockey in the same thought has zero credibility.

Anon
Anon
BACON
BEACON

Anyone that mentions algorithms and youth hockey in the same thought has zero credibility.

#fedelite4lyfe

anon
Anon
Anon
BACON
BEACON

#fedelite4lyfe
EHF is much better about entering scores than most if not all leagues, ensuring that they're at the top of the rankings. They use the site as a marketing tool, and they do it very well, like most of their marketing efforts. It's the deranged parents that think it means something.

Anon
anon
Anon
Anon
BACON
BEACON

#fedelite4lyfe
EHF is much better about entering scores than most if not all leagues, ensuring that they're at the top of the rankings. They use the site as a marketing tool, and they do it very well, like most of their marketing efforts. It's the deranged parents that think it means something.

Sorry your scores got cut

Anon
Anon
anon
Anon
Anon
BACON
BEACON

#fedelite4lyfe

Sorry your scores got cut
In other words, that post is dead on.

Anomaly. MHR already knows it's the 10th rung of hockey in MA, EMHL dads: enjoy your bender's team sitting atop the rankings in Oct. Once other teams start entering the scores your bender team's drop will be precipitous. (That means fast for you Bunker Hill CC drop-outs)

Anon
Anomaly. MHR already knows it's the 10th rung of hockey in MA, EMHL dads: enjoy your bender's team sitting atop the rankings in Oct. Once other teams start entering the scores your bender team's drop will be precipitous. (That means fast for you Bunker Hill CC drop-outs)

It's amazing that someone can get this angry over youth hockey.

Dad
Anon

Nobody is angry. Stop projecting.

Anon
Dad
Anon

Nobody is angry. Stop projecting.

You, my friend, take youth hockey WAY too seriously. Everyone knows it and we all laugh at you behind your back. Cool down.

Anon

MHR doesn't know anything. They take the scores that are entered into their system by volunteers and run a mathematical formula, then publish the results on their website.

anon
Anon

MHR doesn't know anything. They take the scores that are entered into their system by volunteers and run a mathematical formula, then publish the results on their website.

Correct, it's a ranking website dependent on data entered and verified by volunteers. Rankings are susceptible to early season inaccuracies due to limited data set/sample size. That said, it's a self-correcting system becoming increasingly accurate as the season progresses.

So are the rankings accurate?

Anon
anon
Anon

Correct, it's a ranking website dependent on data entered and verified by volunteers. Rankings are susceptible to early season inaccuracies due to limited data set/sample size. That said, it's a self-correcting system becoming increasingly accurate as the season progresses.

^^^Exactly. Now can we stop it with the conspiracy theories?

Anon

So this happened....

MM Flames (EMHL) drop from 1 to 86
NE Wolverines (EMHL) drop from 2 to 103

You you were saying EMHL dad?

Anon
Anon

So this happened....

MM Flames (EMHL) drop from 1 to 86
NE Wolverines (EMHL) drop from 2 to 103

You you were saying EMHL dad?

EMHL Strength of schedule was too high by 10 or so. Now that it's fixed, the universe can return to normal and people can start crowing about the CSDHL etc...

Anon
I mean.... That's got to be the only way.... Right?
There are so many teams and scores missing, it's borderline useless information. But great reading material for obsessed, delusional parents.

Anon

Goes to show you it doesn't mean the higher ranked team is necessarily better. It's a math formula, not a talent evaluator. A good tool for pairing teams in tournament play, not a definitive system for identifying the best team.

Sounds like you may need a committee to decide who is really the top teams.

My hockey is not perfect.. but the math does a good job identifying the top 20.. I think after that the rankings are suspect

Wolverine

Anon

Sorry your kid got cut!