Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: EHF/AYHL Merger

Anon
Anon
Anon
You are all cerifiably nuts. First of all, all this travel and overnights would double the cost of playing youth hockey Playing 4 games a weekend would be crazy. The older the kids get the more physically difficult it is for them. Getting them out of school early on Friday’s, hitting New York traffic, eating crap, poor sleep, would do more harm then good. (Eating right and proper sleep contributes to maximum performance) The occasional tournament is fun. Doing this on a weekly basis is bad (even home games would have to be double headers). Kids would burn out. Let them have a life outside of Hockey. I assume you have one outside of work. (My guess is it’s your kids hockey) As soon as Hockey starts to feel like a job the kid will check out.

Hockey at squirts, peewees, and bantams is fun. Playing “top competition” every weekend is not necessary for development. Working hard and developing a love for the game is what counts most at this age. Just because you think the EHF is the NHL for 10 years olds doesn’t mean it is to them Trust me nobody other then you are watching anyway
Shows you have a lot to learn about hockey. My U16 does this in the T1EHL now. Four games a weekend in regional showcases about once a month. Totally doable. Younger ages it's even more doable.

The other weekends you play the teams in your Division, play in tournaments, or play I another league (ECEL).

Kids only eat crap when they travel if a) you let them and b) they don't know enough not to.

Doable but doesn’t mean it is right. Your kid is probably exhausted after a weekend like that. At U16 there are colleges and juniors looking at him (or at least at the tournament). Do you think your kid is performing at his best in game 2 and 4 ? Probably not. Quantity does not mean quality. Might be hurting him and not helping him.

Eating in restaurants is eating crap. Not too many kids or parents for that matter are ordering the grilled chicken with broccoli and no sauce
Instead of pretending you know it all, how about being open to the experience of others that have actual, real life knowledge?

Of course he's tired after the weekend. They take Monday off, and are back at it on Tuesday, ready to go.

As for the scouts, the T1EHL is probably the MOST scouted league in the country. Overwhelmingly the league with the most USHL Phase I and II picks. Everyone is equally tired, and I'd say a scout worth talking to understands how the weekend is structured. No concerns there.

And, my kid routinely orders a grilled chicken Caesar salad when we're out, especially on the road. Probably his #1 favorite dish.

There, now you're smarter than you were this morning.

anon
Anon
Anon
Anon
You are all cerifiably nuts. First of all, all this travel and overnights would double the cost of playing youth hockey Playing 4 games a weekend would be crazy. The older the kids get the more physically difficult it is for them. Getting them out of school early on Friday’s, hitting New York traffic, eating crap, poor sleep, would do more harm then good. (Eating right and proper sleep contributes to maximum performance) The occasional tournament is fun. Doing this on a weekly basis is bad (even home games would have to be double headers). Kids would burn out. Let them have a life outside of Hockey. I assume you have one outside of work. (My guess is it’s your kids hockey) As soon as Hockey starts to feel like a job the kid will check out.

Hockey at squirts, peewees, and bantams is fun. Playing “top competition” every weekend is not necessary for development. Working hard and developing a love for the game is what counts most at this age. Just because you think the EHF is the NHL for 10 years olds doesn’t mean it is to them Trust me nobody other then you are watching anyway
Shows you have a lot to learn about hockey. My U16 does this in the T1EHL now. Four games a weekend in regional showcases about once a month. Totally doable. Younger ages it's even more doable.

The other weekends you play the teams in your Division, play in tournaments, or play I another league (ECEL).

Kids only eat crap when they travel if a) you let them and b) they don't know enough not to.

Doable but doesn’t mean it is right. Your kid is probably exhausted after a weekend like that. At U16 there are colleges and juniors looking at him (or at least at the tournament). Do you think your kid is performing at his best in game 2 and 4 ? Probably not. Quantity does not mean quality. Might be hurting him and not helping him.

Eating in restaurants is eating crap. Not too many kids or parents for that matter are ordering the grilled chicken with broccoli and no sauce
Instead of pretending you know it all, how about being open to the experience of others that have actual, real life knowledge?

Of course he's tired after the weekend. They take Monday off, and are back at it on Tuesday, ready to go.

As for the scouts, the T1EHL is probably the MOST scouted league in the country. Overwhelmingly the league with the most USHL Phase I and II picks. Everyone is equally tired, and I'd say a scout worth talking to understands how the weekend is structured. No concerns there.

And, my kid routinely orders a grilled chicken Caesar salad when we're out, especially on the road. Probably his #1 favorite dish.

Congrats on being perfect and solving the hockey question of making it to the NHL !!!!!! I too have experience in this and see it differently than you but obviously am not following the guaranteed path as you are. Everything I read is that proper rest and nutrition maximizes performance. Skating like this in my mind is counter productive. As far scouts go, yes I am sure they understand these tournaments and fatigue. However, you never know when they are watching. If they are watching I am hoping my kid is at his best and not exhausted. Unfortunately, these tournaments are out there. Personally I prefer the showcases with one game a game a day and no silly banner to hang. Those are out there are atttended by colleges and are better, in my opinion.

If you prefer skating your kid into the ground I am sure the rewards will be there. Continue eating those salads and I sincerely hope that this path works for your son. (Sarcasm aside) I just don’t think it’s the best path for the majority

Anon
anon
Anon
Anon
Anon

Congrats on being perfect !!!!!! I too have experience in this and see it differently but obviously am not following the guaranteed path as you are. Keep skating your kid into the ground I am sure the rewards will be there.
No, you don't. You THINK you do, but you don't. It's amazing what a healthy body can endure without being even close to being "driven into the ground." If you build up to it over time, train smart, and recover smarter, the human body is incredibly resilient.

OK, let me tell you what I DO know. if your son is playing in the T1EHL and ECEL then you have been drinking the blue Kool Aid for too many years and may be beyond help. You can continue writing the $8,000 plus checks to BA and listen to the BS of how resilient your son's body is by working him this hard. Clemson football published an article this week about the importance of proper sleep and rest is to achieving peak performance. USA hockey has published articles on proper rest. Tom Brady stresses proper sleep among many other things to help enhance performance and prevent injuries. How many articles has BA published on this subject?

If playing 4 games over 2 days, traveling home in a bus from Detriot arriving home at 3 or 4 am, going to school, and taking Monday off from practice is yours and the Blue Kool Method of proper rest and testing your body's resiliency, then I guess eating those chicken ceasar salads must pack an awful lot of energy to get through that schedule. The professionals wouldn't put their players through that ringer. But it is ok for kids in the school of blue Kool aid.

Sorry, but I am not buying. Too much is too much. It is perfectly fine to work hard but to work smart is just as if not more important.

anon
OK, let me tell you what I DO know. if your son is playing in the T1EHL and ECEL then you have been drinking the blue Kool Aid for too many years and may be beyond help. You can continue writing the $8,000 plus checks to BA and listen to the BS of how resilient your son's body is by working him this hard. Clemson football published an article this week about the importance of proper sleep and rest is to achieving peak performance. USA hockey has published articles on proper rest. Tom Brady stresses proper sleep among many other things to help enhance performance and prevent injuries. How many articles has BA published on this subject?

If playing 4 games over 2 days, traveling home in a bus from Detriot arriving home at 3 or 4 am, going to school, and taking Monday off from practice is yours and the Blue Kool Method of proper rest and testing your body's resiliency, then I guess eating those chicken ceasar salads must pack an awful lot of energy to get through that schedule. The professionals wouldn't put their players through that ringer. But it is ok for kids in the school of blue Kool aid.

Sorry, but I am not buying. Too much is too much. It is perfectly fine to work hard but to work smart is just as if not more important.
Well, you ARE a know-it-all, aren't you?

Here's what I know. I know that no matter what I say, you aren't going to listen, so I'm going to leave you with this. Almost everything you just said is Dead. Flat. Wrong. 100% inaccurate.

And my knowledge about being an elite athlete, and all that entails, doesn't come from reading an article. You see, I know what "TB12" really is about, not from reading a book like some fan boy. I understand by having done it, by understanding the connection between brain and body, and how we can use one to exploit the other, safely and healthily. That's what he's doing. It isn't about the avocado ice cream.

You should try it some time. Achieving, I mean. But you won't, because I know you haven't got what it takes.

Nighty night, Cream Puff.

anon
anon

Here's what I know. I know that no matter what I say, you aren't going to listen, so I'm going to leave you with this. Almost everything you just said is Dead. Flat. Wrong. 100% inaccurate.

And my knowledge about being an elite athlete, and all that entails, doesn't come from reading an article. You see, I know what "TB12" really is about, not from reading a book like some fan boy. I understand by having done it, by understanding the connection between brain and body, and how we can use one to exploit the other, safely and healthily. That's what he's doing. It isn't about the avocado ice cream.

You should try it some time. Achieving, I mean. But you won't, because I know you haven't got what it takes.

///
'05 FED dad whose dream of playing in the "Q" got crushed. Go put that $7 K towards a family vacation to the ice castles in Quebec City! Woooo!

anon
anon

Keep drinking the blue kool aid. Don’t sip it Guzzle it !!!!!

EHF is just not good enough to play at that level consistently

Who said EHF ? Anyway most of those U16 EHF kids are either playing prep or playing D1 high school as freshman. Look, if the Blue Kool Aid cult works for you then fine. Go for it.

Just FYI because I was curious ..... checked phase one of USHL draft from last May which was for birth year 2001. Just saw top 150 picks. Did not see one BA U16 selected. Saw approximately 20 greater Boston prep school kids picked including some high school kids from BC High and Austin Prep. I also noticed a few junior Bruins picks, SSK and IHC. I did notice picks from T1EHL but again none from BA. Therefore, approximately 20 % of the draft was from Massachusetts preps, high school, and U16 teams not based in Hingham. The % would be higher if you counted New England preps.

My guess is that the scouts are not using the proper “tired player factor” when evaluating BA players. T1EHL may be “the top scouted league” but the scouts still want to see the kids perform at their best. Too much is simply too much. Quality over quantity. Just because you are being seen doesn’t mean that you are being noticed. Put your kid in the best possible situation you can. Unless you consider making it to the T1eHL as an “achievement”.

Anon
Just FYI because I was curious ..... checked phase one of USHL draft from last May which was for birth year 2001. Just saw top 150 picks. Did not see one BA U16 selected. Saw approximately 20 greater Boston prep school kids picked including some high school kids from BC High and Austin Prep. I also noticed a few junior Bruins picks, SSK and IHC. I did notice picks from T1EHL but again none from BA. Therefore, approximately 20 % of the draft was from Massachusetts preps, high school, and U16 teams not based in Hingham. The % would be higher if you counted New England preps.

My guess is that the scouts are not using the proper “tired player factor” when evaluating BA players. T1EHL may be “the top scouted league” but the scouts still want to see the kids perform at their best. Too much is simply too much. Quality over quantity. Just because you are being seen doesn’t mean that you are being noticed. Put your kid in the best possible situation you can. Unless you consider making it to the T1eHL as an “achievement”.

If you are a draftable Phase I player from this part of the country you are more likely to stay local and play Prep than FS. If you are a draftable Phase I player from other parts of the country you are more likely to stay local and play FS than Prep.

The vast majority of the top players in the rest of the country are playing FS. Here, it's still Prep.

The better litmus test that lessens the impact of geography would be the finalists for the USNTDP. I looked at the list at the time, and something like 25 played FS, 7 played Prep, none played MIAA. My kid played against over a dozen of them (and he doesn't play for BA, BTW).

And, every team plays the same schedule, so it isn't like the BA kids were more tired and weren't at their best, and that's why they weren't drafted. They also weren't tired from some long bus ride to Detroit and then getting in at 3AM. All the kids fly to the showcases, and most of the opponents travel further than the local teams (West Coast to East Coast).

Ice wasn't tilted. Some of the local players in T1EHL are good players and are having conversations. They aren't elite. If they were, they'd be playing Prep. That includes my kid.