Click Here to Visit Our Facebook Page

email: icehockeydboard@yahoo.com

Youth Hockey
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: How to overcome weak defensemen

Sounds like you have a team of dusters, Coach. Teach them to skate in practice. Teach them positioning before/during games.

Defesemen is the most thankless job on the ice. Forward score a couple garbage goals and fail to backcheck an entire game and he gets praise; goalie has a 10 save shut-out and he gets praise; defensemen is only noticed when something goes wrong and he gets no credit for the wins. Easily the most difficult position on the ice (positioning, skating, split second decision making)and why a kid would want to do it is beyond me.

Maybe have your superstar forward backcheck for once?

Everyone please take the hooks out of your mouths. This thread was started by a disgruntled goalie dad who objected a couple of weeks ago to a thread about bad goalies making identical statements.

Applaud him, he sucked you in.

And I thought it was posted by Bruce Cassidy complaining about Tory Krug.... What a disaster he has been this season and with that contract he might be trolling the local rinks looking for his own coaching job.

anon
And I thought it was posted by Bruce Cassidy complaining about Tory Krug.... What a disaster he has been this season and with that contract he might be trolling the local rinks looking for his own coaching job.
It's not just this season. He's always been a defensive liability. It's just more glaring when he is getting top 4 minutes. Do you know how hard it is to be -2 in a 4-2 game when you also have two assists?

Reminds me of a couple of years ago when Ovechkin had 50+ goals and 25+ assists - and he was still, somehow, -35. That is HARD to do!