email: icehockeydboard@yahoo.com

Youth Hockey
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Too much skating?

Mike Cocks
Hey Everyone, great board! I have a 9 year old and I wanted to get everyones opinion on when skating becomes "too much"? I currently have my son skating about 15 times a week. Usually get him out on the ice before and after school, then three practices and 2-3 games. Is this too much?

Thoughts?
If you really want him to develop you should home school him so you can get in an afternoon practice at lunch. Remember "No Days Off"!

Anon
Mike Cocks
Hey Everyone, great board! I have a 9 year old and I wanted to get everyones opinion on when skating becomes \"too much\"? I currently have my son skating about 15 times a week. Usually get him out on the ice before and after school, then three practices and 2-3 games. Is this too much?

Thoughts?
If you really want him to develop you should home school him so you can get in an afternoon practice at lunch. Remember "No Days Off"!
At this point the ONLY way to help him is to send him to Russia. He needs discipline and development that only they can teach. Nine years old and skating 15 times a week! Is he town B. You blew it, try another sport.

Mike Cocks
Hey Everyone, great board! I have a 9 year old and I wanted to get everyones opinion on when skating becomes "too much"? I currently have my son skating about 15 times a week. Usually get him out on the ice before and after school, then three practices and 2-3 games. Is this too much?

Thoughts?
You should mix in some dry land training. Good luck!

Anon
Mike Cocks
Hey Everyone, great board! I have a 9 year old and I wanted to get everyones opinion on when skating becomes \"too much\"? I currently have my son skating about 15 times a week. Usually get him out on the ice before and after school, then three practices and 2-3 games. Is this too much?

Thoughts?
I know that Dry Land training is a term used a lot but it makes no sense. It should be off ice training. Its not like they skate on a ship.

anon
Anon
Mike Cocks
Hey Everyone, great board! I have a 9 year old and I wanted to get everyones opinion on when skating becomes \\\"too much\\\"? I currently have my son skating about 15 times a week. Usually get him out on the ice before and after school, then three practices and 2-3 games. Is this too much?

Thoughts?
I know that Dry Land training is a term used a lot but it makes no sense. It should be off ice training. Its not like they skate on a ship.
Which are you, actuary or attorney?

Please change your screen name to Pedant.

9 year old, so is this his Brick year? Hope he's playing, otherwise he has no future in the sport.

For those who made a serious response (Like Anita), thank you so much. In regards to those who decided to mock me, I can clearly see how jealous you are of my child. I know everyone says it, but he is a natural on the ice, he's incredible to watch.

I agree with you on the dry land training, we've been doing casual box jumps and pushing tires out in the fields behind Phillips.

In regards to other sports...we got rid of them. No more baseball or lacrosse for my little Dimitri. He is the salt of the earth and all you other parents could only DREAM of getting your child on my team!

Mike Cocks
For those who made a serious response (Like Anita), thank you so much. In regards to those who decided to mock me, I can clearly see how jealous you are of my child. I know everyone says it, but he is a natural on the ice, he's incredible to watch.

I agree with you on the dry land training, we've been doing casual box jumps and pushing tires out in the fields behind Phillips.

In regards to other sports...we got rid of them. No more baseball or lacrosse for my little Dimitri. He is the salt of the earth and all you other parents could only DREAM of getting your child on my team!

Making a late push to overtake Wolverine for the prestigious D Board ******* Newbie of the Year award, to be handed out at the upcoming Holiday Party. May be too little, too late.

But, as long as he stays below 9 posts he retains rookie status for 2018.

remember 10,000hrs. If he does not skate 10,000hrs by his Freshman year, he will not make varsity!!

anon
remember 10,000hrs. If he does not skate 10,000hrs by his Freshman year, he will not make varsity!!
Typo. I think you meant 10,000 IN, not BY his Freshman year. It's 10,000 per year, starting at age 2, to make Varsity. And that's the advice for Div III. Prep is 20,000 hours per year.

anon
Mike Cocks
For those who made a serious response (Like Anita), thank you so much. In regards to those who decided to mock me, I can clearly see how jealous you are of my child. I know everyone says it, but he is a natural on the ice, he\'s incredible to watch.

I agree with you on the dry land training, we\'ve been doing casual box jumps and pushing tires out in the fields behind Phillips.

Making a late push to overtake Wolverine for the prestigious D Board ******* Newbie of the Year award, to be handed out at the upcoming Holiday Party. May be too little, too late.

But, as long as he stays below 9 posts he retains rookie status for 2018.
hey anon this guy is he describing my kid

I wouldn't listen to these people. My son is an 08 and he is on the ice 12 times a week. The only way they get better is by repetition.

If I could back in time I would have just spent the $7M or so on my own rink. Driving to the rink is wasted time and cuts into practice time. lol