email: icehockeydboard@yahoo.com

Youth Hockey
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: D-men leading team in scoring..

GOOD JOB MIKE

NEXT YEAR WILL BE THE CHALLENGE. YOU WILL NEED TO SET LIMIT ON QUOTA..AND DISTRIBUTE LITTLE PUTIN'S POINTS TO THE LESS ADVANTAGED SKATERS. SOVIET STYLE

Ice Hole
GOOD JOB MIKE

NEXT YEAR WILL BE THE CHALLENGE. YOU WILL NEED TO SET LIMIT ON QUOTA..AND DISTRIBUTE LITTLE PUTIN'S POINTS TO THE LESS ADVANTAGED SKATERS. SOVIET STYLE
Busy day at the office, huh?

Ummmm...first off, my sons name is Dimitri, not Putin...if you want him to play for your team you need to start by getting that right.

Second...at what point in your response did you not notice that you have all caps on?

Finally, these "lesser" skilled players you speak of...you're talking about alternates, right? I was told by other parents of top kids that if a child scores less than a point per game, cut off those people completely. I'm talking no eye contact, conversations...don't even hold the door for them. After all...a kid that scores less than a point a game, are they considered even "humans"?

HE WILL SKATE FOR US AND WE WILL CALL HIM PUTIN

It's becoming a sad state of affairs when coaches encourage their D-men to run all over the ice and score, score, score! Nothing sinks a youth or high school team like "the mobil, puck moving, offense first" defensemen.

Mark my words - show me a puck rushing defensemen and a coach that encourages it and I will show you a team that is under .500

Puck rushing defensemen totally disorient a team. The forwards are made to stop at the blue line, which means no momentum for a rebound or forecheck. The rushing defensemen is now caught up ice, leaving the team exposed on the counter. The rushing defensemen also tires very quickly, and his "chances" on the rush will look pretty but will usually be just B- shots from near the wall that a good goalie can easily handle.

Great, great post. COACHES READ THE PREVIOUS POST!!!!!

Therein lies the art of the greatest position on earth! Should he rush...sometimes; Should he move it...sometimes; Should he move it then hop in;...sometimes; Should he rush it, then feather it;...you get the point!

That's why the great ones are the great ones... You can teach skills, but can't teach vision, timing and instincts.

Anon
Therein lies the art of the greatest position on earth! Should he rush...sometimes; Should he move it...sometimes; Should he move it then hop in;...sometimes; Should he rush it, then feather it;...you get the point!

That\'s why the great ones are the great ones... You can teach skills, but can\'t teach vision, timing and instincts.
So true. Very hard to teach hockey sense and this is what separates good puck moving d men from bad.

The problem here is "good puck moving d men" do not exist in youth or high school hockey. And if they do exist in college or the NHL they must have a shutdown D partner and a goalie that can really make stops. Even watching the Bruins you see what a total defensive liability Tory Krug is when he's on the ice during even strength. It just isn't worth it.

anon
The problem here is "good puck moving d men" do not exist in youth or high school hockey. And if they do exist in college or the NHL they must have a shutdown D partner and a goalie that can really make stops. Even watching the Bruins you see what a total defensive liability Tory Krug is when he's on the ice during even strength. It just isn't worth it.
Not sure what teams you are watching, there are plenty of puck movers good ones around at u14 and Prep level. dman with good skills can control a game and is tough to defend, not sure I get your beef.

His beef is that his 3rd line, non-back checking wing, who only plants his a** on the boards, is not getting the puck on the breakout because the puck moving dman with better skills is bypassing him.

anon
His beef is that his 3rd line, non-back checking wing, who only plants his a** on the boards, is not getting the puck on the breakout because the puck moving dman with better skills is bypassing him.
quite a few good d men on the EHF and E9 teams. Am sure as a non hockey person you are looking at offensive stats. As a coach I see other teams d men and I am immediately drawn to the kid who plays well in his own end and every so often brings the rush up ice. It's a tough position to play at that age level, but if you see a d man playing good gap control, pushes people around in front of the net and jumps into the play offensively, you got yourself a stud on the backend. As a coach consider yourself lucky.

No beef just want some troll to tell me go have your boy watch x team at y age level.. they have the best defenseman

Out of necessity we have some of our best playing on the backend. One or two who may have a future in the sport. These boys have many offensive forwards around for them to follow. And teams that move the puck with efficiency. It is tougher to identify the teams and players with defensive functionality and team play. We have seen some but boy are squirt age so not enough.

Ice Hole
No beef just want some troll to tell me go have your boy watch x team at y age level.. they have the best defenseman
I will now make beef Wellington for dinner. Thanks for the idea.

Much more effective to get the wings moving on the breakout and have the D headman the puck. The old 1970's 'stand at the hash along the boards and wait for the puck' breakout is for a slower time in hockey. Today it's up ice and in a hurry.

Don't get to see them play much but IHC 07E.. has some great dmen. As great as their forwards are the defense makes that team click. Fun to watch

Ice Hole
Don't get to see them play much but IHC 07E.. has some great dmen. As great as their forwards are the defense makes that team click. Fun to watch
Best 06 dman went to Minnesota. That says a lot.

Best 06 Dman, he is 11. Give it a rest.

One of the Best 04 dmen left is now playing w. Honey Baked

Ice Hole
One of the Best 04 dmen left is now playing w. Honey Baked
He was good, not an ehf kid either 🤔

Ya, was he e9 bred or was there more to it. Made the right move and we wish him luck as he will need it

English? do you speak it?? Hillbilly

Anon
English? do you speak it?? Hillbilly
Obviously, you don't. Trash truck leaves early tomorrow, get some rest.

Must have hit a nerve, enjoy your shift at the state liquor store.

I remember back a few years and their were two or three 'it kids' at the peewee level. One played for his dad and ended-up at CM his freshman year and I think by his junior year he ended-up playing football. Another was suppose to be the second coming and he played at BCH his freshman year and then moved over to Thayer and I think he failed to grow and I have no idea what happened to him and the third was a solid player and played on some elite teams, went to St. Sebs and is now playing D-III hockey at a pretty good school.

this is good news

forget the offensive dmen. where is the best all around young dman around FED or e9 for my boy to emulate. the kid w. the IT factor. defensive teams to watch. those who are in the know may not want to share