Visit The DBoard Online Store - https://www.cafepress.com/icehockeydboard

Click Here to Visit Our Facebook Page

email: icehockeydboard@yahoo.com

Youth Hockey
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
How to overcome weak genes ?

So, I am about 5'6" and just a tad over 200, my wife is a bit shorter and a bit heavier. Our boy has also been blessed with the same body type, but we figured that if he played hockey he would naturally become lean and athletic, because we saw that in a lot of his buddies who played hockey.

We are realizing that no matter how much we spend on leagues, coaching, skills sessions and a dietician, his peers seem to be athletic and lean while he stays the same.

We are trying to get over the hump of him being the slowest kid on the team and a liability when he is out there, not trying to produce a superstar.

Any suggestions or recommendations that we have not thought of yet ? I feel like we have already wasted the past two seasons because people kept telling us to wait til the hitting starts and that will level the playing field for our boy, but over those two seasons kids keep getting better but he still struggles to keep up, yet is able to throw the occasional decent hit if someone skates into him.

Seriously, we want him to make varsity in the next few years and the pressure is a lot. Had I known this I would have gotten a sperm donor and got the poor kid some better genes.

Or should I just face the facts and know that he is destined to be the same player he has been for the past seven years and is destined to be where I was at athletically when I was younger and give up ??

I feel like I see superstar players who don't have the most athletically gifted parents so there is hope right ?

Re: How to overcome weak genes ?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8i5OrcxwFUA

It's why the tribe members who have a family history of being money changers don't often venture into competitive sports...what's the use? Hit the books son.

I'm going to discount the more facetious parts of your post and try to give you some straight up advice on the assumption that at least some of it is serious.

He can play HS hockey. Not saying he will be a stud, but he can do it.

He can't make himself taller, but he can make himself leaner. Chances are, you will need to change his diet. When you lose weight, you don't lose fat cells, you shrink them. His DNA dictates the number of fat cells. His diet and metabolism dictate how large those cells are.

The weight loss will make him faster (Zolak talks about how the 40# he lost is the equivalent of walking around carrying a full propane tank), but that will take time. While that is happening, he can build faster feet and explosive speed. That means hitting Mike Boyle on the North Shore or Dan Boothby South of the city and asking for an individualized program to do both. He will know how.

Good luck to you. I will say, even if he doesn't eventually make his team, he'll still develop better life habits and feel better abut himself.

Back in the old days you just throw the fat kid in the net.... some still do that and it will likely get you into peewees and then the slide down the latter comes as he will be unable to move side to side etc and he will slowly go from color to color finding his way to the bottom ranks... that said if he is having fun and meeting nice kids enjoy the ride.