Click Here to Visit Our Facebook Page

email: icehockeydboard@yahoo.com

Youth Hockey
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Team/league?

I've heard of the Vipers. Again, do not know too much about them. From what I'm told, the Wizards have a good program and the organization is really good. Don't have a lot of info on the Valley Jr Warriors.

Thank you!! All info is appreciated

Anon
I've heard of the Vipers. Again, do not know too much about them. From what I'm told, the Wizards have a good program and the organization is really good. Don't have a lot of info on the Valley Jr Warriors.

Thank you!! All info is appreciated
Sound like your bender is the real deal—if so—-three letters can stick in your head. E. H. F.

I wouldn't call him a bender. If anything, his skating is his best asset. I hear you on the EHF, but isn't there the elite and then like 4 tiers after that?

If skating is his best asset.. go to e9 team like Wizards, Valley jr warrior are the real deal and spartans will continue to compete and get better. develop a plan to make it to a legit Fed team in 2 years

Your kid will need more amutituon before he goes to EHF..

Warriors have a good program? Don't know much about their team. I am closer to Bedford so the Wizards would be perfect, but if warriors have a better team/coaching I'd take him there. What is the biggest difference between players from the EHF vs the e9? Again, thank you for all the info. Not being a hockey guy I'm learning a lot about this world

Fed is an older more established league. less violent swings of talented players and coaches comming and going. culture, coaching and expectations are clearly ahead of e9. Don't get me wrong e9 is an ultra competitive league and is great for for many hockey players. My son is 07 so Ive Watched that age group. Valley Jr Warrior 07 elite team went from last place last year to 3rd place this year in e9. They have access to talent and can stack and restack the deck..East coast wizards squirt major team is only local team to take down Lovells Boston Advantage 07 Elite team locally in the last 2 years. Wizards have beat that team twice and won the e9 championship at squirt minor in 2017. Wizards and Valley Jr Warrior at 08 age group are very safe bets. Its time to call the coach and get a feel for the teams.

Everyone is talking like this town A player is going to step into a Top 4 EHF/E9 Elite team. Doubtful. A team like the Islanders that is struggling might be a better choice. They will have spots open.

Otherwise you're probably looking at Tier 1 / select until you can figure out where he fits for PeeWees.

OK so you've got a bunch of names now..what's next?
Most new players don't make teams at tryouts, they are selected ahead of time, either by skating with the team at practices or through recruitment. Also, many of the tryouts overlap so you aren't going to make the tryouts for the Islanders, Wizards, Warriors, Patriots, Shamrocks, Spartans, etc.

Step 1: Go watch a game or two of the teams that seem to interest you. Make sure you understand how that coach works a game and you are okay with his style. When does he shorten his bench, if at all? Is he a needless screamer? Does he just stand passively on the bench or does he actually coach kids in the moment? All kids respond differently and the coach/player relationship is an important part of the development process.

Step 2: Reach out to the coaches on the teams that piqued your interest. Ask if your son can attend a practice, you can even mention that "We watched your team play X, and I was impressed with what I saw". This is also your first entrance into properly butt kissing the ego of a coach. I swear most of these guys think they are Herb Brooks in disguise.

Step 3: If the coach doesn't immediately offer feedback to you after the practice, ask for it. Most feedback falls into 3 buckets.
"Your son looked great out there, I'd really like to get him on the team next year." This is your chance to lock him in to his spot early.

"Your son seems like a great kid, be sure to bring him to tryouts." Your son does't stand a chance on making the team but the owner of the org needs more $ for his vacation fund.

"Your son skates really well but needs to work on his stick handling a bit." Your son has some skills but I'm thinking I can do better. Your choice at this point, get him some extra skills to work on his weaknesses and bring him to tryouts, bring him to tryouts and hope that he doesn't get anyone better, or continue to find the right fit.

So now you probably have it down to a couple of teams, check their website and go watch a skills session. Do they have a decent ratio of instructors to players, are they actually working with the players or just blowing a whistle, are the instructors just standing on the ice with a DD coffee cup in their hand. All clubs have skills but some take it much more seriously than others.

If all things seem to be equal, now worry about the league. EHF Elite is a stronger league, this coming from an E9 parent, but I would rather my kid play with good coach in a lesser league than a clown in the EHF Elite.

If you follow all of the advice, it's a lot of work but you & your player will be happy. You can always short circuit it, just go to a few practices, make a team and take your chances.

What's the point of a "name" club if the coach at your son's birth year is awful? Forget the club, if you're going by club reputation alone then you should go ahead and delete ECW, NSS, and GBV from your list. What you need to focus on is the quality of the prospective coaches. Call them, communicate your interest, and ask them if your kid can attend a practice. Go with whatever coach holds the most professional, fastest, fun practice (if they'll have your son).

Don't get caught up in the league (EHF vs E9), dont get caught up in the club'c reputation. Focus on the quality of the coach (avoid daddy coaches if at all possible), and an easy drive to the rink. If your kid is the goods they will eventually come to you.

Thank you for taking the time to go through that process. I really do appreciate it. It almost seems like a job to get your son on a team. I will follow these steps and hopefully things work out. I really do appreciate everyone's perspectives and information!

Because hockey requires the entire family to invest/sacrifice time; it is a difficult family decision. I applaud you for trying to find the "right" landing spot for your little guy. You're not only a parent, your'e also an equipment manager, an agent, a chauffer, a dietician, and a psychologist. ha!

MassAnon
Because hockey requires the entire family to invest/sacrifice time; it is a difficult family decision. I applaud you for trying to find the "right" landing spot for your little guy. You're not only a parent, your'e also an equipment manager, an agent, a chauffer, a dietician, and a psychologist. ha!
You forgot cheerleader and ATM

well done great post

The 08’s are stacked in the EHF

The 08s are so stacked I heard a bunch of 06s going back to play with them. Stacked Jerry. Staked!

Anon
I wouldn't call him a bender. If anything, his skating is his best asset. I hear you on the EHF, but isn't there the elite and then like 4 tiers after that?
at the latest after this post - I call BS. Another day another troll

probably a troll but maybe someone else sees it who actually finds the responses interesting.

the OP was trolling and all you fools took the bait, wasting your time recommending leagues and teams. I guess you couldn't tell TROLL because didn't sign their as name S. Federov, or Anita HandJobb.

You miss the point of this place..u gotta be a noob. Of course it was a troll..trolling, gossip, and bashing, I believe that is in the dboard mission statement. Just because it's posted by a troll, doesn't mean you can't actually put up useful information for a future visitor. After all, this is the internet & nothing ever really disappears.

I'm not a troll. Truly was looking for info regarding club teams and organizations. Thank you for those of you who offered info. I really appreciate it and it is extremely helpful. I'm sure there are trolls on here like any other website, but I really do find this info. helpful.

VJW, Wizards and Spartans are all very good teams at 08 level. IHC is hurting and continuing to fall apart - take a look at their record and talk to a few people, everyone will say the same thing. Don't get caught in the EHF vs E9 thing - top 4 in each league are good and could all play each other - massive drop off after that. Talk to coaches at each team your considering - all with be glad to have your little man skate at a practice.

Talk to friends who have made the move, call the teams and go skate with them for a practice.... you will quickly figure out where he fits.... town to top club team is about 4X the jump you think it is but there is a level for everyone these days....find a good coach and a rink you can get to easily in that order.