Click Here to Visit Our Facebook Page

email: icehockeydboard@yahoo.com

Youth Hockey
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: The USAH Full Ice Debacle

The best squirt coaches are the ones who have a knack for dismantleing a mite superstars game... IHC 07E coach has that knack. He can break a wild horse quickly.

Because there is no disadvantage to cross ice for the PLAYERS. It is only a disadvantage or structural adjustment to the owners, administrators and volunteers.. Anyone who cares about hockey players and their advancement clearly supports USA hockey and their initiative to sanction any and all hockey organizations that make excuses about cross ice hockey non compliance..something that is holding USA Hockey back from their mission.

Once implemented the chance that any top organization is going to work 8-10 years with a tier 1 national bound Bantam or midget dream team and miss that ride because they failed to comply with mite rules is laughable.

Well I come to rink tonight and eat my words.. our mites no longer our mites. USA hockey is weilding its anvel and our board caves for this year..New name to the mite team & new mini jerseys on the way...Bantam team tier 2 National bound? Organization Complying w. USA Hockey? Doing right by next generation mites? Hey Anon I could not imagine where my squirts would be if they had access to a competitive X Ice mite league for 2-3 years. Happy to say they have dialed in a 5 pass breakout.. just know they would have mastered that a lot quicker w. X Ice prerequisite.

The science shows that kids do not learn "the full ice game" for quite a few years after mites. More touches of the puck and more smaller area battles are what helps young players get better. In a time when kids are not spending 4-5 hours on outdoor rinks or ponds around here anymore due to the fickle weather its important to maximize the volume of touches of the puck.

All well and good, but the kids need to develop a good skating stride and that definitely does not happen via the ADM small area drills. So with no pond hockey and mini area practice models, many kids coming out of mites have nowhere the skating ability of their predecessors at the same age level and never really catch up to the full-ice club hockey peers. From what I see, many come out of mites with short, choppy mini ice strides that will take years to correct. And it doesn't matter how well they can do in a small area if they can't get there.

Full stride... the difference between USA and the rest of the international field is not the stride..We have always been able to skate. It's everything else in the game the USA need to catch up on.. What good is it to skate like the wind but not be able handle the puck and think. Canadian, Russian and top European national teams love your thinking.. Keep USA hockey irrelevant forever.

Anon
All well and good, but the kids need to develop a good skating stride and that definitely does not happen via the ADM small area drills. So with no pond hockey and mini area practice models, many kids coming out of mites have nowhere the skating ability of their predecessors at the same age level and never really catch up to the full-ice club hockey peers. From what I see, many come out of mites with short, choppy mini ice strides that will take years to correct. And it doesn't matter how well they can do in a small area if they can't get there.
^^^Please disregard this post. This guy has NO idea what he is talking about.

Yeah, no idea at all. The better time to play small area hockey is at 10-14 when the kids can grasp the concept of quick passing and getting to the open area. Six and seven year olds don't understand that enough to benefit. So the might as well follow the kid with the puck for 180' rather than 60' and get some good skating in.

Ya I know you have know idea at all.. you want lots of starts, stops, cross overs, dynamic turns, change of direction, speed change, backwards skating, dynamic angling, body contact balance skating, constant forchecking and backchecking.. and you think that these skating situatuins are addressed better in skating full ice games.. JUST Like the 6 year old brain we know you don't understand the process of any of these learning concepts.. so why would the concept of passing and puck support in a small ice be any different.

It's just an opinion. Like a prior poster said, "we've always been able to skate." Exactly, my point the kids learned to skate up and down the ice at young age rather than skating around cones within in a 10 square foot box. The difference between US and others wasn't mini/ADM mites, it was too much overemphasis on games and very little emphasis on skills and good practices as the kids move through squirts, pee week, and bantams. If anything, there should be more 3v3 available at these ages. I'm sure there are some good town programs that offer a 3v3 component for their players. I'm talking a full session, not 10 minutes during practice.

We should know shortly who is right/wrong on this debate. My understanding is the much of the country has fully embraced the ADM model, from xice to practice/game ratio with New England being a glaring hold out, mostly thanks to club hockey & us parents. IMHO, the 02's and 03's represent the first group of kids who will have been on significantly different development path than their peers around the country since age 5+ If the anti-ADM guys are right, we should start to see an uptick in New England players on U16 worlds, U18 worlds and NTDP team. If the number of New England players numbers continue to shrink, to me that will be additional validation of the overall ADM model.

I see most of New England A, AA, AND AAA is embracing ADM philosophy at their practices AND clinics ...just not during games..not any leagues yet. Only have to follow our e9 elite and fed teams at their travel AAA squirt and pee wee tournaments against national fields outside of NE to see MOST teams can no longer qualify or belong in the top divisions. See Redmen next week at JJ Rosato tg 06 tourney next week.. this will tell just how far off we are.

Redmen AAA Team has no shot to win the Elite division of the 06 Rosato Tournament even though they are older than the teams they are playing. No clue what you think this will prove for the ADM.

Sorry Town Hockey got cut!

Redman are a 4th place tier 2 team🤔