Visit The DBoard Online Store - https://www.cafepress.com/icehockeydboard

Click Here to Visit Our Facebook Page

email: icehockeydboard@yahoo.com

Youth Hockey
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
06 Parity Recap

1. IHC-East- 3rd place team in Black Division last season... Just got better with skilled 'Elite Division' additions.
2. MMFs- Good news: 3 wins in parity. Bad news: All 3 wins came against 2017 white teams. Their loss was against the 7th place Black team (Jr. Eagles)
3. Top Gun- Benefited from the softest parity schedule. That said, they have 2 legit players and a cast of hardworking role players.
4. Jr. Eagles- Soft parity schedule as well. Very good passing team with speedy skill players.
5. Manchester- As expected, they qualified for black. Didn't impress, didn't disappoint.
6. Providence HC- Nice additions, merging clubs was the best thing this organization did. Played better than their finish.
7. Breakers- Did the bare minimum to qualify. Will probably perform better in-season than parity.
8. Terriers W- Played over their head all weekend. Scrappy skaters who will most likely struggle in season.
----------------------
9. Shamrocks- Needed a W in their final game to qualify, but could only manage a tie. Missed black because of TB%
10. IHC-West- Completely laid an egg. Scrappy bunch that was short players at times. Team was thoroughly out coached.
11. Monarchs- Outplayed in only 1 game, competitive in the other 3. Will make white and take another crack at Black next season.
12. Boston Jr Huskies- Surprisingly skilled team who had the unfortunate luck of the toughest draw.
13. Terriers R- Competitive in all parity games, simply on the short end of the stick too many times. Will make white and play well.
14. SS Kings- Also the victim of a tough draw. Competitive losses this time, but will play well in white and regroup in 2019.
15. Northern Cyclones- First 3 losses had everyone wondering why they even participated in black parity. Only to turn around and almost upset the Jr. Eagles in their finale.

Re: 06 Parity Recap

All the speculation on who had the harder road to drive down is useless. Once the games start in September, the cream will rise to the top.

Anon
1. IHC-East- 3rd place team in Black Division last season... Just got better with skilled 'Elite Division' additions.
2. MMFs- Good news: 3 wins in parity. Bad news: All 3 wins came against 2017 white teams. Their loss was against the 7th place Black team (Jr. Eagles)
3. Top Gun- Benefited from the softest parity schedule. That said, they have 2 legit players and a cast of hardworking role players.
4. Jr. Eagles- Soft parity schedule as well. Very good passing team with speedy skill players.
5. Manchester- As expected, they qualified for black. Didn't impress, didn't disappoint.
6. Providence HC- Nice additions, merging clubs was the best thing this organization did. Played better than their finish.
7. Breakers- Did the bare minimum to qualify. Will probably perform better in-season than parity.
8. Terriers W- Played over their head all weekend. Scrappy skaters who will most likely struggle in season.
----------------------
9. Shamrocks- Needed a W in their final game to qualify, but could only manage a tie. Missed black because of TB%
10. IHC-West- Completely laid an egg. Scrappy bunch that was short players at times. Team was thoroughly out coached.
11. Monarchs- Outplayed in only 1 game, competitive in the other 3. Will make white and take another crack at Black next season.
12. Boston Jr Huskies- Surprisingly skilled team who had the unfortunate luck of the toughest draw.
13. Terriers R- Competitive in all parity games, simply on the short end of the stick too many times. Will make white and play well.
14. SS Kings- Also the victim of a tough draw. Competitive losses this time, but will play well in white and regroup in 2019.
15. Northern Cyclones- First 3 losses had everyone wondering why they even participated in black parity. Only to turn around and almost upset the Jr. Eagles in their finale.
Wow!!
You put a lot of thought and work into putting this summary of 11 year old hockey together. You must be a lot of fun to hang out with!
You have no life!
Sorry your life got cut😂

...and you’re a troll on this thread. What’s that say about you buddy. Move it along Silver Dad.

Agreed on Terriers white...played over their heads. Shamrocks would've been better competition over the course on an entire season.

Looks like PHC benefited from the merge at all levels, not just 06, with them making it in to black at all levels but one.Curious to see if it helps at the elite level.The system EHF uses is by no means perfect, personally I think parity should be held in late august but in the end teams have to work within the system that has been set up and that means winning games.I know people are going to come on here and talk about last season and how teams deserve to be in black cuz of how they performed last season but last season doesn't matter unless you won the championship cuz then you get the automatic bid.Congrats to those that made it in to black.For those who didn't, good luck in the white parity.

Anon
Looks like PHC benefited from the merge at all levels, not just 06, with them making it in to black at all levels but one.Curious to see if it helps at the elite level.The system EHF uses is by no means perfect, personally I think parity should be held in late august but in the end teams have to work within the system that has been set up and that means winning games.I know people are going to come on here and talk about last season and how teams deserve to be in black cuz of how they performed last season but last season doesn't matter unless you won the championship cuz then you get the automatic bid.Congrats to those that made it in to black.For those who didn't, good luck in the white parity.
its funny how looks can be deceiving. The PHC gained nothing through parity except the 06's making it black. Every other division is exactly the same and to be honest the 2009's lost a team. They had Friars, woonsocket and Caps all in black last year and now only have South and East so net Gain was Zero. Love the enthusiasm and marketing though. Certainly know how to boost the check writing.

It's human nature, no one takes a two win team seriously.

I'm not surprised by the Islanders East and Terriers White. We handled (tied and beat) both teams during regular season but you could tell they were only a couple players away. I still can't figure out why the white team only won one or two games but at this age one or two kids can make a difference.

anon
I'm not surprised by the Islanders East and Terriers White. We handled (tied and beat) both teams during regular season but you could tell they were only a couple players away. I still can't figure out why the white team only won one or two games but at this age one or two kids can make a difference.
Terriers lost two of their best players but additions probably not quite as good. Only real upgrade was goalie.

Pretty accurate. Looks like some of those white teams are starting to level off with black. Having had a kid playing in black and watching quite a few games I'd say on any given day, any of those teams (with the exception of the cyclones) could compete in the same division. Some surprising results for sure. Anyone with older kids is well aware of this, the playing field starts to level off, late bloomers are emerging, the ones that don't have it are dropping off. The Q takes the better kids to certain Elite teams and if your Elite team isn't one of those teams, that team is probably more comparable to tier 1. And the Tier 1 teams that obtain those players cut from elite may seems significantly improved.

In the end, team results really mean very little. Yes, this is a team sport but it's about how your kid develops. None of these kids are going to stay on the same team forever. And those teams with winning records that allowed kids to carry and shot instead of passing or didn't notice the player who looks like a dog chasing a ball all over the ice will find out when they move on they would be better suited on a team with a coach who taught hockey and worried less about wins.

Now grab your lax sticks and baseball bats and take a break from hockey!

Anon
Pretty accurate. Looks like some of those white teams are starting to level off with black. Having had a kid playing in black and watching quite a few games I'd say on any given day, any of those teams (with the exception of the cyclones) could compete in the same division. Some surprising results for sure. Anyone with older kids is well aware of this, the playing field starts to level off, late bloomers are emerging, the ones that don't have it are dropping off. The Q takes the better kids to certain Elite teams and if your Elite team isn't one of those teams, that team is probably more comparable to tier 1. And the Tier 1 teams that obtain those players cut from elite may seems significantly improved.

In the end, team results really mean very little. Yes, this is a team sport but it's about how your kid develops. None of these kids are going to stay on the same team forever. And those teams with winning records that allowed kids to carry and shot instead of passing or didn't notice the player who looks like a dog chasing a ball all over the ice will find out when they move on they would be better suited on a team with a coach who taught hockey and worried less about wins.

Dude---you make too much sense. That is not allowed on the Dboard

Anon
Anon
Pretty accurate. Looks like some of those white teams are starting to level off with black. Having had a kid playing in black and watching quite a few games I\'d say on any given day, any of those teams (with the exception of the cyclones) could compete in the same division. Some surprising results for sure. Anyone with older kids is well aware of this, the playing field starts to level off, late bloomers are emerging, the ones that don\'t have it are dropping off. The Q takes the better kids to certain Elite teams and if your Elite team isn\'t one of those teams, that team is probably more comparable to tier 1. And the Tier 1 teams that obtain those players cut from elite may seems significantly improved.

In the end, team results really mean very little. Yes, this is a team sport but it\'s about how your kid develops. None of these kids are going to stay on the same team forever. And those teams with winning records that allowed kids to carry and shot instead of passing or didn\'t notice the player who looks like a dog chasing a ball all over the ice will find out when they move on they would be better suited on a team with a coach who taught hockey and worried less about wins.

Dude---you make too much sense. That is not allowed on the Dboard
It comes with experience....not my first rodeo. And I appreciate it since I was just called out for being an angry parent from a team my kid doesn't even play for when I placed my opinion in the ring about the reputation of another team on another thread. I love all the PIs on here.

Get a life .... honestly . The fact you look that deeply into it is ridiculous . 3 questions , did your kid have fun, did he learn anything , did he make friends? That’s all that matters you bunch of REs.... ask any kid about why he plays , the answer is to have fun and he likes his teammates . You pathetic idiots take it to far

The only question I have is did junior get cut because he's a bender or because dad is a psycho?Id certainly have to assume both.

1%
Get a life .... honestly . The fact you look that deeply into it is ridiculous . 3 questions , did your kid have fun, did he learn anything , did he make friends? That’s all that matters you bunch of REs.... ask any kid about why he plays , the answer is to have fun and he likes his teammates . You pathetic idiots take it to far
The only question I have is did junior get cut because he's a bender or because dad is a psycho?Id have to assume both.

Another inaccurate statement . You don’t have 1 question you have a lot . Starting with why did your father likes to grope you after a night at a bar all the way to today when you try to figure out why kids play hockey and rate them . My kids on the breakers , nothing special , not elite so come up with a new line . That’s the dboard typical comeback .. the cut kid verse ... loser

1%
Another inaccurate statement . You don’t have 1 question you have a lot . Starting with why did your father likes to grope you after a night at a bar all the way to today when you try to figure out why kids play hockey and rate them . My kids on the breakers , nothing special , not elite so come up with a new line . That’s the dboard typical comeback .. the cut kid verse ... loser
Yikes, really showing your class Breakers Dad

OK, so I can say that of the few teams I'm up on (which would be my kids team and a few of his friends), you are probably spot on. But how can one grown adult know so much about who went where and which teams are stronger and weaker and how the results went? This is the problem with all youth sports but seems to be worse in hockey. Too much parental involvement and concern about everyone else. We have a parent on another thread keeping track of every comment he thinks another parent has said about his kids team (get thicker skin dude, everyone complains...except your kids who are just having fun playing until the car ride home when they have to listen to your critique of their play), parents that know every team's movements, gains or losses (you really need to get a life.) For the love of god, just let your kids play hockey, take a deep breath and a step back and your kid will thank you.

anon
OK, so I can say that of the few teams I'm up on (which would be my kids team and a few of his friends), you are probably spot on. But how can one grown adult know so much about who went where and which teams are stronger and weaker and how the results went? This is the problem with all youth sports but seems to be worse in hockey. Too much parental involvement and concern about everyone else. We have a parent on another thread keeping track of every comment he thinks another parent has said about his kids team (get thicker skin dude, everyone complains...except your kids who are just having fun playing until the car ride home when they have to listen to your critique of their play), parents that know every team's movements, gains or losses (you really need to get a life.) For the love of god, just let your kids play hockey, take a deep breath and a step back and your kid will thank you.
I went to all the games this weekend, took notes on each team and players:grimacing: then hung out in the lobby between games to hear the scuttle. It's amazing the comments you can overhear

Anon
anon
OK, so I can say that of the few teams I\'m up on (which would be my kids team and a few of his friends), you are probably spot on. But how can one grown adult know so much about who went where and which teams are stronger and weaker and how the results went? This is the problem with all youth sports but seems to be worse in hockey. Too much parental involvement and concern about everyone else. We have a parent on another thread keeping track of every comment he thinks another parent has said about his kids team (get thicker skin dude, everyone complains...except your kids who are just having fun playing until the car ride home when they have to listen to your critique of their play), parents that know every team\'s movements, gains or losses (you really need to get a life.) For the love of god, just let your kids play hockey, take a deep breath and a step back and your kid will thank you.
I went to all the games this weekend, took notes on each team and players:grimacing: then hung out in the lobby between games to hear the scuttle. It's amazing the comments you can overhear
Sitting their taking notes is a rookie move, livebarn it and watch it in slo mo at home.

Anon
Anon
anon
OK, so I can say that of the few teams I\\\'m up on (which would be my kids team and a few of his friends), you are probably spot on. But how can one grown adult know so much about who went where and which teams are stronger and weaker and how the results went? This is the problem with all youth sports but seems to be worse in hockey. Too much parental involvement and concern about everyone else. We have a parent on another thread keeping track of every comment he thinks another parent has said about his kids team (get thicker skin dude, everyone complains...except your kids who are just having fun playing until the car ride home when they have to listen to your critique of their play), parents that know every team\\\'s movements, gains or losses (you really need to get a life.) For the love of god, just let your kids play hockey, take a deep breath and a step back and your kid will thank you.
I went to all the games this weekend, took notes on each team and players:grimacing: then hung out in the lobby between games to hear the scuttle. It\'s amazing the comments you can overhear
Sitting their taking notes is a rookie move, livebarn it and watch it in slo mo at home.
Ahhh, but then I wouldn't hear all the scuttle in the hallways. That's were you overhear all the best info

TG benefited from softest schedule? I guess you don’t get the concept of pool play? To review- this means MMF and BJE had the same “soft schedule “

That's right, BJE, MMF, and TG had a soft pool (Bracket A). They did not have to play Isles East, Manchester Flames, BSB, or the Shamrocks, all of whom had significantly better records the only 2017 Tier 1 Black team in the pool (BJE - who finished in seventh place in 2017). The other two pools each included two teams that finished in the top 6 of Tier 1 Black for 2017. Overall, Bracket B had 4 teams from 2017 Tier 1 Black and Bracket C had 3 teams from 2017 Tier 1 Black. There was obviously a flaw in the My Hockey Rankings with regard to how Tier 1 White teams got rated. I'm not from the Shamrocks, but they definitely got robbed! I could see maybe if they threw up on themselves in parity someone could say they suddenly got weak, but no one in their bracket beat them.

Anon
That's right, BJE, MMF, and TG had a soft pool (Bracket A). They did not have to play Isles East, Manchester Flames, BSB, or the Shamrocks, all of whom had significantly better records the only 2017 Tier 1 Black team in the pool (BJE - who finished in seventh place in 2017). The other two pools each included two teams that finished in the top 6 of Tier 1 Black for 2017. Overall, Bracket B had 4 teams from 2017 Tier 1 Black and Bracket C had 3 teams from 2017 Tier 1 Black. There was obviously a flaw in the My Hockey Rankings with regard to how Tier 1 White teams got rated. I'm not from the Shamrocks, but they definitely got robbed! I could see maybe if they threw up on themselves in parity someone could say they suddenly got weak, but no one in their bracket beat them.
Agreed- this is the flaw with MyHockeyRankings, the outsize weighting of a large positive or negative goal differential compared to strength of schedule; not to mention the potential for games to selectively NOT be included( like tourney games) in the scores that could hurt rankings against better teams.

It needs some refinement, but Top Gun being the 6 seed per MHR is a flaw because those teams in White that don't belong like the Huskies or the Crimson especially (who actually were a silver team from last year's parity but got bumped up because of two team rule). Those +7 goal wins every game add a huge ranking push for them. Strength of schedule should count much more than average goal differential.

Brackets A+C had a silver division team also.

If anything, the Boston Jr Huskies got the biggest shaft having to play 4 black teams. If they were in brackets A or C they would’ve been in the mix for the final two qualifying spots.

Anon
If anything, the Boston Jr Huskies got the biggest shaft having to play 4 black teams. If they were in brackets A or C they would’ve been in the mix for the final two qualifying spots.
No disrespect to the Huskies, my son’s team played against them this year and I thought they were a good, well coached team that played better than their record would suggest, but I don’t think they necessarily would have had an easier time in the other brackets just because there were more black teams in the B bracket. If anything, I think this parity tournament just goes to show that the dividing lines between these divisions is arbitrary, so it is silly to argue that team X is stronger than team Y because they are a black division team.

Definitely better than their record indicated.

The Huskies got beat very candidly by three of the teams that played in parity, and only had eight wins and a whopping 23 losses in the Tier 1 white division this season. So while the dividing line between Black and White divisions is arbitrary and perhaps 12 instead of 10 teams could reasonably could hold their own in Tier 1 Black, the Huskies have not, in any way, proven themselves to be near that line.

Wrong. Outside of Top Gun every White team would've been dominated in the black division last season. The Huskies that were at parity werent same old Huskies. They recruited 6 or so Terrier kids onto that team, and they werent dominated by any stretch. Providence is another example, they were awful and it took merging 3 programs to get them to play competitive hockey in black. MMF was the second place white team and they couldnt even beat 7th place BJE. Its clear theres a difference between two divisions.

Parity is a small sample size and I think as parents we can all agree they have bad days on the ice. Four teams from White are now in Black if you count the Eagles from the previous season. Next season all of these questions will be answered and we will see just how much of a gap their is between the divisions. If the White teams fair well, it will be comical to hear all of the excuses...

Anon
Wrong. Outside of Top Gun every White team would\\\'ve been dominated in the black division last season. The Huskies that were at parity werent same old Huskies. They recruited 6 or so Terrier kids onto that team, and they werent dominated by any stretch. Providence is another example, they were awful and it took merging 3 programs to get them to play competitive hockey in black. MMF was the second place white team and they couldnt even beat 7th place BJE. Its clear theres a difference between two divisions.
Thanks Top gun dad

Anon
The Huskies got beat very candidly by three of the teams that played in parity, and only had eight wins and a whopping 23 losses in the Tier 1 white division this season. So while the dividing line between Black and White divisions is arbitrary and perhaps 12 instead of 10 teams could reasonably could hold their own in Tier 1 Black, the Huskies have not, in any way, proven themselves to be near that line.

Huskies looked improved at parity, although, if they are anything like last year with 20+ players on their roster, it really depends on who shows up. Listen, kids are getting older, disparity from top to bottom in divisions decrease. At any given tournament, you will see white teams beating black and during regular season you will see bottom black and white teams beating their respective black and white teams. Did you notice how many games were tied or had 1 point differences. And I'm sure some of those tied and 1 point game teams ended up in white. So what does that tell you? But does any of that really matter? Why does everyone lose site of what youth hockey means? If your kid is on a winning team but riding the pine, what good does that do your kid? If you kid plays Elite but is on the 3rd line getting short shifted or skipped over, how does that help a 12 year old in their development. Are you all going to be banging on the boards when your kids in high school saying that's my boy...his team finished first in black when he was a pee wee?

Anon
TG benefited from softest schedule? I guess you don’t get the concept of pool play? To review- this means MMF and BJE had the same “soft schedule “
Oh. I get it. Do you? If they were in any other bracket they may still be in white next season. They weren't killing any team that was in black or white last season. It's tiring listening to these too gun parents for two years eithbthe shaft talk. I'm sure a couple of the black teams who are in white this year feel the same way but let's see if there are countless posts about how they should be in black.

Anon
Anon
Oh. I get it. Do you? If they were in any other bracket they may still be in white next season. They weren't killing any team that was in black or white last season. It's tiring listening to these too gun parents for two years eithbthe shaft talk. I'm sure a couple of the black teams who are in white this year feel the same way but let's see if there are countless posts about how they should be in black.
Woulda. Coulda. Shoulda. Call the wammmmmbulance. Top Gun is Top 5 in Black next year and primed for a deep run. Book it.

Anon
Anon
Anon
Oh. I get it. Do you? If they were in any other bracket they may still be in white next season. They weren\'t killing any team that was in black or white last season. It\'s tiring listening to these too gun parents for two years eithbthe shaft talk. I\'m sure a couple of the black teams who are in white this year feel the same way but let\'s see if there are countless posts about how they should be in black.
Woulda. Coulda. Shoulda. Call the wammmmmbulance. Top Gun is Top 5 in Black next year and primed for a deep run. Book it.
We will see. I think you may be fighting out the bottom with the new Breakers team and MMFs but only time will tell.

Anon
Anon
Anon
Anon
Oh. I get it. Do you? If they were in any other bracket they may still be in white next season. They weren\\\'t killing any team that was in black or white last season. It\\\'s tiring listening to these too gun parents for two years eithbthe shaft talk. I\\\'m sure a couple of the black teams who are in white this year feel the same way but let\\\'s see if there are countless posts about how they should be in black.
We will see. I think you may be fighting out the bottom with the new Breakers team and MMFs but only time will tell.
Never faced TG in any tourneys so only time will tell but agree on one thing.... what happened to the Breakers? Looked like a whole different team. Only good thing I noticed is I couldn't hear the loud Dad I always heard when I caught some of the game. So either he was eating some humble pie or he's one that has moved on. In any case, that will certainly help improve the Breakers reputation alone not having to listen to him.

Anon
Anon
Anon
Oh. I get it. Do you? If they were in any other bracket they may still be in white next season. They weren\'t killing any team that was in black or white last season. It\'s tiring listening to these too gun parents for two years eithbthe shaft talk. I\'m sure a couple of the black teams who are in white this year feel the same way but let\'s see if there are countless posts about how they should be in black.
Oh My! This post didn't age well at all! :joy:

Top Gun is 3-9-3, 9th place, giving up the most goals in the league, and haven't won a game since before Halloween.

Looks like back to White next year.

Sorry optimistic TG dad.