Click Here to Visit Our Facebook Page

email: icehockeydboard@yahoo.com

Youth Hockey
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: weymouth youth hockey board in it for themselves

Honestly who cares where your kid is placed in town hockey - its for recreation and fun at the town level.

anon
Honestly who cares where your kid is placed in town hockey - its for recreation and fun at the town level.
Why is that any different than kids who play PHL Select/EMHL/Fed Silver?

Those leagues are no better than Town A.

Anon
Weymouth youth hockey is the worst program you could possibly have your kid play in. The President and Vice are on the record saying that kids who play club hockey should be on the C level teams because they are not committed to the town. This is why the good players from Weymouth do not play for the town. The board has pushed so many talented good kids from the program over to club hockey. There are no outside scorers brought in to score tryouts, but rather scored by the board who know the kids. The teams are picked by a coach who is not allowed at tryouts and not choosen till tryouts are over. Scores for goalies are completly disregarded and the coach is free to pick whatever goalie he or she wants. It is a shame because these are young kids that get shafted by grown men and women. Hockey ability is the last consideration when picking the teams. They do all this under the platform that it is all for the kids, but it isn't even close to a fair playing field.
There can be a case made that packing your local Town A team with too many select kids isn't a great idea. Most select kids only show up for games if it doesn't conflict with their select team. There's nothing wrong with that but it's not really fair to ask a town coach to scramble to fill the roster every weekend of the season. Select kids obviously don't play town for development. They play to be the best kid on the ice in front of their friends.

Weymouth is D1 for high school so I doubt many kids (if any) are making that roster coming strictly through the youth hockey program. I can understand why it seems unfair but on a certain level I get why they give preference to the kids who only play town.

Anon you nailed it right on the money when you said this!!!!!

Weymouth youth hockey is the worst program you could possibly have your kid play in. The President and Vice are on the record saying that kids who play club hockey should be on the C level teams because they are not committed to the town. This is why the good players from Weymouth do not play for the town. The board has pushed so many talented good kids from the program over to club hockey. There are no outside scorers brought in to score tryouts, but rather scored by the board who know the kids. The teams are picked by a coach who is not allowed at tryouts and not choosen till tryouts are over. Scores for goalies are completly disregarded and the coach is free to pick whatever goalie he or she wants. It is a shame because these are young kids that get shafted by grown men and women. Hockey ability is the last consideration when picking the teams. They do all this under the platform that it is all for the kids, but it isn't even close to a fair playing field. SO TRUE!!!!!!

same old BS
Anon you nailed it right on the money when you said this!!!!!

Weymouth youth hockey is the worst program you could possibly have your kid play in. The President and Vice are on the record saying that kids who play club hockey should be on the C level teams because they are not committed to the town. This is why the good players from Weymouth do not play for the town. The board has pushed so many talented good kids from the program over to club hockey. There are no outside scorers brought in to score tryouts, but rather scored by the board who know the kids. The teams are picked by a coach who is not allowed at tryouts and not choosen till tryouts are over. Scores for goalies are completly disregarded and the coach is free to pick whatever goalie he or she wants. It is a shame because these are young kids that get shafted by grown men and women. Hockey ability is the last consideration when picking the teams. They do all this under the platform that it is all for the kids, but it isn't even close to a fair playing field. SO TRUE!!!!!!
PLease stop with all of this whiney talk about the people who actually put in their time to volunteer and bust their asses all year long are not out to black ball your kid. Even if the coach/Board member's kid(s) isnt the best, guess what, there are still 10-13 other players your kid could be better than to earn the spot so stop blaming other people for your child's deficiencies. Accept the fact that your bender is not good enough and move on.

spoken like a true corrupt board member thats in it for his/her own kid. The sad missed point is always the same. People need to realize that it isn’t always forward progression a B doesnt automatically become an A or an A doesn’t stay an A. Depending on level of talent that year an A may drop to a B or a B may stay the same or drop. the problem is too many times these Directors are telling coaches that “oh this kid was a B or this kid is a second year” etc. and unfortunately the scorers know this and know the players and it does reflect hence the reason you can never see the scores of all the players because the board would be set on fire. There are many and most kids on their teams and belong there while at same time could also fair well on a lower level team as well. the issue is that favoritism is alive and well and it starts at the top.

Let me guess, Weymouth hockey released teams today & your kid didn't make the cut? So obviously the Board must have it out for this one kid. It makes sense. Members often volunteer their time with the ultimate goal to sticking it to just one kid. Sorry Dad it doesn't add up. Maybe your kid isn't the 'A' (or 'B' ) level player that you think he is. The good news is there is a really easy way to find out. Just head over the Terriers & ask to join one of their 5 teams for your kids age level. If they find a way to add him to the Elite or Tier I level then your were 100% right about your kid. If he lands on the 4th or 5th level team well then you have your answer. Good luck.

Town Hockey A team equals the 4th or 5th team in a select program is just about right.

anon
Town Hockey A team equals the 4th or 5th team in a select program is just about right.
Disagree - We have kids that made the Town B team now going to Elite teams. Granted its not what you on this board would consider a real elite team but still. There is a disconnect there. Kid is not elite.

a new voting position for a 3 on 3 director for 3 months of work lmao... and oh wow look her kid is an A player. Big jump peewee A to Bantam A. Oh wait Presidents son as well. It will all wash out in High School when Mommy and Daddy have no say.

hahahaha
a new voting position for a 3 on 3 director for 3 months of work lmao... and oh wow look her kid is an A player. Big jump peewee A to Bantam A. Oh wait Presidents son as well. It will all wash out in High School when Mommy and Daddy have no say.
It would be interesting to know how many kids from town hockey make the Weymouth H.S. varsity roster?

It's D1 but with the state of high school hockey these days maybe a few do?

Had somewhat of a similar situation with my town. Showed up at try outs early and was talking to the one of the board members and after telling him my son had played before and that he was looking forward to playing for the town he lived in he proceeds to tell me that he would probably be on the C team. He had never seen my son play and try outs hadn't even happened yet and when I asked him why that would be he couldn't give me a good reason. I packed up our things and left. It was clear that the teams were already decided and my son was not going to have a chance to make the A team so we left and a few weeks later tried out for the club team and he made the elite team where he has been ever since. I sometimes run in to the townies at the rink and they ask if my son could play town. I always politely decline but I should be thanking them, if my son stayed in town I don't think he would be as good as he is. The level of talent he has played against and with has motivated him to want to be better and to put in the extra skills and work, I don't think he would be that way if he stayed in town.

With all that being said I think Club hockey is 10x worse. Town has its issues with the friends and family plan but in club hockey who you know or who you are can get your kid on a great team even if that kid will be playing over their head. The things I've seen a parent do to try and get their kid on the elite team or to stay on the team are just flat out crazy. The levels of back stabbing, gossiping, lying and drama is something I would never see at town. Club hockey offers a little bit better of a product. The skills are a bit better. The practice times are a lot better and more consistent and no question the competition is much better but town parents are a little more down to earth and its less drama but are a little ignorant to the hockey outside of town. They think their little superstar is the greatest.

I commend the people who run town programs. I know it's not easy and they volunteer they're time and resources to pass along their passion of hockey to their kids and to provide an outlet that will allow other kids of the town to share in that.

Anon
Had somewhat of a similar situation with my town. Showed up at try outs early and was talking to the one of the board members and after telling him my son had played before and that he was looking forward to playing for the town he lived in he proceeds to tell me that he would probably be on the C team. He had never seen my son play and try outs hadn't even happened yet and when I asked him why that would be he couldn't give me a good reason. I packed up our things and left. It was clear that the teams were already decided and my son was not going to have a chance to make the A team so we left and a few weeks later tried out for the club team and he made the elite team where he has been ever since. I sometimes run in to the townies at the rink and they ask if my son could play town. I always politely decline but I should be thanking them, if my son stayed in town I don't think he would be as good as he is. The level of talent he has played against and with has motivated him to want to be better and to put in the extra skills and work, I don't think he would be that way if he stayed in town.

With all that being said I think Club hockey is 10x worse. Town has its issues with the friends and family plan but in club hockey who you know or who you are can get your kid on a great team even if that kid will be playing over their head. The things I've seen a parent do to try and get their kid on the elite team or to stay on the team are just flat out crazy. The levels of back stabbing, gossiping, lying and drama is something I would never see at town. Club hockey offers a little bit better of a product. The skills are a bit better. The practice times are a lot better and more consistent and no question the competition is much better but town parents are a little more down to earth and its less drama but are a little ignorant to the hockey outside of town. They think their little superstar is the greatest.

I commend the people who run town programs. I know it's not easy and they volunteer they're time and resources to pass along their passion of hockey to their kids and to provide an outlet that will allow other kids of the town to share in that.
My son has played both Club and town. Trust me the drama, backstabbing, insane behavior is alive and well in Town. The club my kid plays for isn’t that bad drama wise. It mostly is confined to individual teams. The organization as a whole is run well.

Anon
Anon
Had somewhat of a similar situation with my town. Showed up at try outs early and was talking to the one of the board members and after telling him my son had played before and that he was looking forward to playing for the town he lived in he proceeds to tell me that he would probably be on the C team. He had never seen my son play and try outs hadn\'t even happened yet and when I asked him why that would be he couldn\'t give me a good reason. I packed up our things and left. It was clear that the teams were already decided and my son was not going to have a chance to make the A team so we left and a few weeks later tried out for the club team and he made the elite team where he has been ever since. I sometimes run in to the townies at the rink and they ask if my son could play town. I always politely decline but I should be thanking them, if my son stayed in town I don\'t think he would be as good as he is. The level of talent he has played against and with has motivated him to want to be better and to put in the extra skills and work, I don\'t think he would be that way if he stayed in town.

With all that being said I think Club hockey is 10x worse. Town has its issues with the friends and family plan but in club hockey who you know or who you are can get your kid on a great team even if that kid will be playing over their head. The things I\'ve seen a parent do to try and get their kid on the elite team or to stay on the team are just flat out crazy. The levels of back stabbing, gossiping, lying and drama is something I would never see at town. Club hockey offers a little bit better of a product. The skills are a bit better. The practice times are a lot better and more consistent and no question the competition is much better but town parents are a little more down to earth and its less drama but are a little ignorant to the hockey outside of town. They think their little superstar is the greatest.

I commend the people who run town programs. I know it\'s not easy and they volunteer they\'re time and resources to pass along their passion of hockey to their kids and to provide an outlet that will allow other kids of the town to share in that.
My son has played both Club and town. Trust me the drama, backstabbing, insane behavior is alive and well in Town. The club my kid plays for isn’t that bad drama wise. It mostly is confined to individual teams. The organization as a whole is run well.
Every situation is different and an excellent reason why it's a mistake to paint with a broad brush.

My son has played in a town organization for the past three years and moved steadily up the ladder due to hard work and skill. We have no inside connections, I don't coach and we're not "friends" with the people who run the program. Parental behavior has been really good. No drama. They lose kids to select but by and large they are the best players who really should go to select. We've had kids jump back and forth between town and select and it's usually based on parental dissatisfaction with the level/team their kid has been placed on. My guess this is also the reason people jump back and forth between select teams. As a parent it can be hard to be honest with ourselves when it comes to the true level of talent our children have when it comes to youth sports (or academics, music, arts, etc.)

Don't get me wrong. Mistakes are made. Favors are granted. Kids get opportunities they maybe don't deserve. That's life.

I've seen people leave town because of team placement only to complain about playing time in select. It's always something.

"I commend the people who run town programs. I know it's not easy and they volunteer they're time and resources to pass along their passion of hockey to their kids and to provide an outlet that will allow other kids of the town to share in that."

Thanks for posting this. Usually we just get crapped on on this board.

Anon
"I commend the people who run town programs. I know it's not easy and they volunteer they're time and resources to pass along their passion of hockey to their kids and to provide an outlet that will allow other kids of the town to share in that."

Thanks for posting this. Usually we just get crapped on on this board.
second that. as a former president (and board member) i loved parents that would come up to me and say "do the right thing". they were confused when i said "even if that means your child gets passed over?"

we had outside scoring at our tryouts. cost about $3k (a/k/a 15 hours of practice ice) we used 3 different and very well know persons to run them over the years i was there. the first thing each said was 'use us as a guide...get the coaches input... we will miss (either too high or low) about 5% of the players' (200 players is about 10). then add in what to do with those that miss or are sick or... AND we still would get complaints. love the ones 'the scorers were too busy looking at their cellphones'. the best part was our teams very closely resembled what those scorers had, less than 10% moved. didn't matter.

That is just bitter. Have you seen "her" son play hockey? He is a **** good hockey player and you bash her for volunteering to run the program (no one else was willing to do it) He's not the first kid to make A's as a first year. And why are you worried about what he'll do in High School, he's 12!

I thought this thread was dead weeks ago...

Sorry this happened Joe.

For real people you do not turn to a blind eye when you know some kids out played otheres in tryouts but still got bumpped off of the A team its who you know not how good you are! I guess in weymouth hockey you do not pick the best players but the ones who are your friends and dont want to hurt there feelings well thats not going to sit well with some people and i hope this program crashes and burns becuase its the same BS as before. out with the old in with the new see how many people leave this time. its about the kids not your friendship or your ego's

Here's an idea for town hockey(everywhere) - have the town HS coaching staff do top team selections from Squirt on up. HS coach has a vested interest in keeping best players in town.

Anon
Here's an idea for town hockey(everywhere) - have the town HS coaching staff do top team selections from Squirt on up. HS coach has a vested interest in keeping best players in town.
"HS coach has a vested interest in keeping best players in town." That is crazy. Town HS coaches do not want town players. They want the talented club players. There is no reason to keep them in town youth hockey, because they know 95% of club kids will not play FS midgets with their club.

No HS coach has the vested interest you speak of.

Anon
Anon
Here\'s an idea for town hockey(everywhere) - have the town HS coaching staff do top team selections from Squirt on up. HS coach has a vested interest in keeping best players in town.
"HS coach has a vested interest in keeping best players in town." That is crazy. Town HS coaches do not want town players. They want the talented club players. There is no reason to keep them in town youth hockey, because they know 95% of club kids will not play FS midgets with their club.

No HS coach has the vested interest you speak of.
...except with the increase of FS club teams those high school coaches are going to lose the best players anyway. Especially at the D2 and D3 level. Most coaches for D2/D3 high school should have a vested interest in the best Town A players and kids from mid/lower select because that's what's coming their way.

This sounds like a repeat of the BOD from the South Shore Seahawks from the mid 2000's. Some of those board members cared more about their team win/loss record than the kids - what a shocker

Anon
This sounds like a repeat of the BOD from the South Shore Seahawks from the mid 2000's. Some of those board members cared more about their team win/loss record than the kids - what a shocker
You aren't trying to make a case that select dads don't care about winning are you?

It's all any of the threads on this board are about.

Both town and club hockey are corrupt. Town is dead because of it coupled with poor coaching. Tip, if you need to watch the USA Hockey coaching videos for drills you are not a good coach. Club is corrupt from a "guaranteed spots" standpoint. Some of those players are not as good as others trying out but the owners allow this to happen and pay for it with sub-par records, which the owners don't care about as long as the checks cash!

Bottom line, good players get out of these situations and get to a better situation.

Anon
Both town and club hockey are corrupt. Town is dead because of it coupled with poor coaching. Tip, if you need to watch the USA Hockey coaching videos for drills you are not a good coach. Club is corrupt from a "guaranteed spots" standpoint. Some of those players are not as good as others trying out but the owners allow this to happen and pay for it with sub-par records, which the owners don't care about as long as the checks cash!

Bottom line, good players get out of these situations and get to a better situation.
So to be a good coach you should have every drill memorized and not want to learn new drills? Love parents who have no idea what they are talking about.

I think everyone's points in this thread could be valid. Just because things go well or badly in your town doesn't mean it's not the opposite in another town. There are good coaches in town and bad ones in club and vice versa. There are knowledgeable parents and ones with blinders on. And yes, there are good players who are buried on Town B and C teams who are actually good players. I've seen plenty of games where there's one kid on an opposing B/C team who totally doesn't belong and who accounts for 4/5 of a team's goals and had the assist on the 5th.

If you happen to be stuck in a bad situation in town, I feel badly for you because I was there. My kid had to do both town and club for a couple years so that his placement in town didn't matter - he was getting the real training and competition at club, so it didn't matter that he was stuck behind the OBN kids back in town. Played town AA2 (C team) and club AAA. It was unreal. If you can afford it that's great, but if you can't it sucks because you feel like you have no options.

If you want to see how a youth program should run, look at Canton

- High School coaches involved in youth program
- 4 states titles at Pee Wee and Squirt Level this past season
- 2 Regional Championships at Pee Wee A and Squirt A level this past season
- Friendly to club players
- Excellent Leadership
- Players make teams on merit and everyone knows the score.
- Incredible Learn to Skate program which acts as a feeder system
- Regular 3rd party skills

I remember the first year my kid tried out. Because I knew nothing about hockey and wanted to help my kid get better, I naively asked if I could see the comments/scores from the independent evaluator that my kid got at tryouts (nobody else's, just my kid's info). I was told "sorry, we've thrown them all away already".

Lesson learned.

The next year he tried out I asked the day after tryouts were over. Again, only his score and only his comments, nobody else's. Since I'm a dumb parent who knows nothing about the game, I can't recognize what he's doing well and what he needs help on. I want to see what a paid evaluator sees and learn from it and get my kid some lessons/help if he's really lacking at something.

This time, the answer was the real one: we don't share that information with parents.

and that is why your Peewee A team beat Weymouth Peewee A team made them look silly and went onto win states.
Weymouth gets an invite and gets destroyed can't compete at that level I wonder why ????? Class act Canton can you show Weymouth how it is done.

Canton is not a town league at the A level. Kids all have SSK, Bandits, Huskies and other stickers on their helmets.

anon
Canton is not a town league at the A level. Kids all have SSK, Bandits, Huskies and other stickers on their helmets.
If the majority of their town A team was select I would think they'd have a hard time keeping a roster together for games. My son plays upper level town and there are always a couple of club kids on the team. Fact is you can go a month or more and not see them at games. The priority is to the select team which I totally get but if you had a number of kids doing that every week or so I don't see how that team would play so well. My guess they have a healthy mixture of select and good players who only play town.

Poor Joey.

10:30 poster - a few years ago at the town program annual meeting, the board was looking for ideas of how to get a true evaluation for the program for the squirt through midget levels. My 2 boys have always played club and hockey and town hockey, the older is now playing college and the youngest is a second year bantam. I suggested to the B.O.D. to bring in outside evaluators, their comment was "that would never work".

how about this one ... our town program by-laws state that "regardless of talent level, an out of town player, if its his/her first year in the program, they are not eligible for a spot on the 'A' team, They will automatically be placed on the lowest team for the first year." I remember one year at tryouts there 6 out of players trying out for spots on the 'A' team, might been pee wee level, the coach went to the board requesting waivers for the out-of-town kids to play on the 'A' team. Take one guess what happened....the board allowed it and granted waivers. You only imagine the controversy this caused, parents went ballistic.

All BS.. unless you have good coaching both Club, Select and Town team are trash

This only works if the Board sticks with the outsiders ratings. I have seen outsiders do the evals and then the board starts moving kids around.

anon
10:30 poster - a few years ago at the town program annual meeting, the board was looking for ideas of how to get a true evaluation for the program for the squirt through midget levels. My 2 boys have always played club and hockey and town hockey, the older is now playing college and the youngest is a second year bantam. I suggested to the B.O.D. to bring in outside evaluators, their comment was "that would never work".

how about this one ... our town program by-laws state that "regardless of talent level, an out of town player, if its his/her first year in the program, they are not eligible for a spot on the 'A' team, They will automatically be placed on the lowest team for the first year." I remember one year at tryouts there 6 out of players trying out for spots on the 'A' team, might been pee wee level, the coach went to the board requesting waivers for the out-of-town kids to play on the 'A' team. Take one guess what happened....the board allowed it and granted waivers. You only imagine the controversy this caused, parents went ballistic.
Almost identical situation - I suggested to the B.O.D. to bring in outside evaporators, one BOD comment to me was a laugh and a "you don't seem to understand how this works." Yes, yes it is deeply ingrained into their little fiefdoms.

Anon
" HS coach has a vested interest in keeping best players in town"

Not if he wants to keep his job! Our high school coach (D-1) sent out an email about 5 years ago telling kids to bail on town hockey and seek a 'more competitive alternative' because he saw what was happening. None of the town only kids were able to play competitive D-1 hockey.

anon
Anon
Here\'s an idea for town hockey(everywhere) - have the town HS coaching staff do top team selections from Squirt on up. HS coach has a vested interest in keeping best players in town.

Not if he wants to keep his job! Our high school coach (D-1) sent out an email about 5 years ago telling kids to bail on town hockey and seek a 'more competitive alternative' because he saw what was happening. None of the town only kids were able to play competitive D-1 hockey.
And yet all we read here is how high school hockey is trash. If your average high school team is trash but filled with select players what's the issue?

Also, keep in mind there are many D2 and D3 schools that need town and lower level select players to fill the rosters. Our town is D3 and many of the better Town players do find their way onto varsity (and the team is usually good).

We all know town kids aren't playing the best D1, C.C., prep or going on to college hockey. To say Town has no value and the kids never make H.S. rosters is incorrect.

Anon
anon
Anon
Here\\\'s an idea for town hockey(everywhere) - have the town HS coaching staff do top team selections from Squirt on up. HS coach has a vested interest in keeping best players in town.
\" HS coach has a vested interest in keeping best players in town\"

Not if he wants to keep his job! Our high school coach (D-1) sent out an email about 5 years ago telling kids to bail on town hockey and seek a \'more competitive alternative\' because he saw what was happening. None of the town only kids were able to play competitive D-1 hockey.
And yet all we read here is how high school hockey is trash. If your average high school team is trash but filled with select players what's the issue?

Also, keep in mind there are many D2 and D3 schools that need town and lower level select players to fill the rosters. Our town is D3 and many of the better Town players do find their way onto varsity (and the team is usually good).

We all know town kids aren't playing the best D1, C.C., prep or going on to college hockey. To say Town has no value and the kids never make H.S. rosters is incorrect.
It has been proven time and time again that all the so called A players move up to HS and dont make the teams Varsity or even JV and the poor kid is shocked because they think to themselves “ why? I have been an A player my whole youth carreer?” sorry kid no, your mommy or daddy has carried you either by coaching a team or getting on the board or being buddies with a board member! so good luck with the first fall and disappointment in life. No thanks to your parents failing to teach you that it takes hard work to achieve the goals because not everyone is born with raw talent.
p#creatingmoreentitledkids

anon
Anon
anon
Anon
Here\\\\\\\'s an idea for town hockey(everywhere) - have the town HS coaching staff do top team selections from Squirt on up. HS coach has a vested interest in keeping best players in town.
\\\" HS coach has a vested interest in keeping best players in town\\\"

Not if he wants to keep his job! Our high school coach (D-1) sent out an email about 5 years ago telling kids to bail on town hockey and seek a \\\'more competitive alternative\\\' because he saw what was happening. None of the town only kids were able to play competitive D-1 hockey.
And yet all we read here is how high school hockey is trash. If your average high school team is trash but filled with select players what\'s the issue?

We all know town kids aren\'t playing the best D1, C.C., prep or going on to college hockey. To say Town has no value and the kids never make H.S. rosters is incorrect.
It has been proven time and time again that all the so called A players move up to HS and dont make the teams Varsity or even JV and the poor kid is shocked because they think to themselves “ why? I have been an A player my whole youth carreer?” sorry kid no, your mommy or daddy has carried you either by coaching a team or getting on the board or being buddies with a board member! so good luck with the first fall and disappointment in life. No thanks to your parents failing to teach you that it takes hard work to achieve the goals because not everyone is born with raw talent.
p#creatingmoreentitledkids
Top D1 or Catholic? Sure.

I know for a fact our local high school (D3) has a combo of select and town for both varsity and JV. Also the scenario you lay out is no doubt true in some cases but there are plenty of half-decent players in Town A who don't have a parent that is a board member, coach, friend, etc.

Judging by the comments on this board there are plenty of parents and players who become disillusioned by select as well because the kid is buried on the bench. Sure enough the same reasons are given (coach's kid, friend of coach's kid, etc.)

It's just a part of youth sports.

Our town program has a combo of outside eval and coach's or board members. Although no coach can evaluate kids from level they coach and no one evals own kids. The scores are combined with coach evals from Past season. Once complete scores are combined and list is created. Then there is a meeting with each level inviting coach of level they are going to and level coming from as well as board member and 1 unbiased tiebreaker if needed. They talk about the shots and talk about any abnormal scores. They then talk bubble players and all agree on team.

Problem with just using outside evals are they do not know the kids as well as coach's that see them every day and if kids have an unexpected fall or is doing a drill with someone not nearly as talented and may get a low score.

We have been doing this for a few years now and works well.

Anon
Our town program has a combo of outside eval and coach's or board members. Although no coach can evaluate kids from level they coach and no one evals own kids. The scores are combined with coach evals from Past season. Once complete scores are combined and list is created. Then there is a meeting with each level inviting coach of level they are going to and level coming from as well as board member and 1 unbiased tiebreaker if needed. They talk about the shots and talk about any abnormal scores. They then talk bubble players and all agree on team.

Problem with just using outside evals are they do not know the kids as well as coach's that see them every day and if kids have an unexpected fall or is doing a drill with someone not nearly as talented and may get a low score.

We have been doing this for a few years now and works well.
This is the way it's done for the program my son plays for. (Same one I wonder?)

I heard very little griping this year from parents. It seems to work and the kids on each team are all at a similar skill level.

Would love to see this happening everywhere. Instead, our RI local organization is making some birth year teams and creating unequal teams within a division where they field 2 teams. Makes for very disgruntled parents when one B team is seen as the better and the other is seen as the worse team. What's the point of doing this at state league B hockey? Makes the organization look like a bunch of idiots when they think that winning the state B tournament is worth something. It's rec hockey!

why do most parents, of any kid that was ever NOT selected for a team, immediately have an excuse for why their kid was cut? But they watched tryouts, with their unarguable knowledge of hockey, and no way their kid was not good enough to make it.

this thread is a perfect example of that.

have they ever had to pick a team? Have they ever really looked at their child's ability objectively?

In most cases, NO, but that never stops them from slinging mud.
must be because the coach/board is corrupt.
must be that the coach hates them or their kid
must be because their kid got skipped in line on the bench twice during tryouts
must be that the team was picked before tryouts
must be political
must be because their kid was tired
must be because other kids were familiar with the drills they ran in tryouts

give me a break
why do most parents, of any kid that was ever NOT selected for a team, immediately have an excuse for why their kid was cut? But they watched tryouts, with their unarguable knowledge of hockey, and no way their kid was not good enough to make it.

this thread is a perfect example of that.

have they ever had to pick a team? Have they ever really looked at their child's ability objectively?

In most cases, NO, but that never stops them from slinging mud.
must be because the coach/board is corrupt.
must be that the coach hates them or their kid
must be because their kid got skipped in line on the bench twice during tryouts
must be that the team was picked before tryouts
must be political
must be because their kid was tired
must be because other kids were familiar with the drills they ran in tryouts
because many parents live vicariously through their children.

Youth sports, music, academics, art, etc.

doesn't matter.

If their kids fail, they fail.

anon
Anon

How did the high school coach get the email address list for all the town hockey players parents? Find it hard to believe that a high school coach got that email distribution and then used it to tell kids to bail on town hockey. Not saying kids should stay in town but if the coach did that he is a total ********.

D1 doesn't matter anymore either. As a coach if you catch lighting in a bottle with a kid your lucky to keep him though his sophomore year.

Hey Joe. Mix in a period or comma sometimes..

Last year we had a changing of the guard in our town's player evaluation program, and for the first time that I can remember we had good placements in every age group, top to bottom. There wasn't one team (squirt, pee wee, bantam) where I saw a kid and wondered "how did that kid make that team??" This included the Old Boy Network kids, which was outstanding and gave me a lot of hope that things were turning around. They were placed where they belonged, skill-wise, and they were on the B and C teams where they fit.

This year, some of the Old Boy Network influence has started to creep back in: kids who should have made higher teams who didn't, and kids who should not be on higher teams (but who have OBN parents) placed on teams above their heads.

Full disclosure: my kids are in clubs this year so I have no skin in the game, just empathy for lots of friends who are still in town and talking about this year's outliers. Friends with kids on A, B, and C, so miss me with the glib sour grapes nonsense.

I do wonder sometimes though, if you're the OBN parents of one of the kids who is playing over their head, how do you feel seeing Junior floundering compared to the other kids on the team? Seeing him muff passes, skate slowly, shoot weakly, as compared to his teammates. Coming up with new excuses every week to give to the other parents in the stands for why Junior is underperforming this time. Do they recognize when he's put on a line with a babysitter, or do they see it as a reflection of how "good" their kid is to be on the line with one of the team's strongest players? Do they feel the icy looks from the babysitter's parents when the line fails again to produce because their kid couldn't make the play? Do they feel any shame that the rest of us recognize what is going on but have the decency not to call them out in public for it?

When we're done with this thread maybe one can be started about coach's kids and their friends in select who get more playing time than is warranted?

Fact is whether it's town or select, kids with connections get extra benefits.

Much like life in general.

Look around D-1 college hockey and you tell me if "kids with connections get extra benefits" or not. BC's entire roster is made-up of connected kids....and that's why they aren't as good as they should be.

This is just life in general. Everyone has those people at work who suck at their jobs but are connected to the right people and get promotions over people who work harder.

How about instead of complaining about it we strive to be better and do everything for our kids to do better so that they can not be overlooked regardless of their connections or familial ties.

Trust me on this, nothing better than your kid being able to make a team he tries out on and not have to go searching for reasons why he didn't make it instead of looking in the mirror.

And lastly, lets us not pretend that this is the case or cases of superstar kids being passed up by benders. This is a case of bubble kids being passed up by other bubble kids due to their connections. Fact of the matter is the presidents kid and vice presidents kid probably don't belong there, but your kid doesn't either !

and while we reflect, ever think that maybe a team didn't want your kid and took someone else because that kids parents just sit back and don't complain and you are annoying ?

Anon
How about instead of complaining about it we strive to be better and do everything for our kids to do better so that they can not be overlooked regardless of their connections or familial ties.

Trust me on this, nothing better than your kid being able to make a team he tries out on and not have to go searching for reasons why he didn't make it instead of looking in the mirror.

And lastly, lets us not pretend that this is the case or cases of superstar kids being passed up by benders. This is a case of bubble kids being passed up by other bubble kids due to their connections. Fact of the matter is the presidents kid and vice presidents kid probably don't belong there, but your kid doesn't either !

and while we reflect, ever think that maybe a team didn't want your kid and took someone else because that kids parents just sit back and don't complain and you are annoying ?
all good points but we're dealing with human nature here.

The longer someone invests their time and money in youth hockey the more likely they will be seeking some kind of return. If your kid is elite you want a road to prep and/or college. If your kid is in that great, wide middle you want A team (or select equivalent) and varsity high school. Your kid's shortcomings become yours. If you feel he has been slighted you feel that you have as well. It does seem to be getting worse though. In most cases people are putting way too much emphasis on their kids sports.

Anon

Trust me on this, nothing better than your kid being able to make a team he tries out on and not have to go searching for reasons why he didn\'t make it instead of looking in the mirror.

And lastly, lets us not pretend that this is the case or cases of superstar kids being passed up by benders. This is a case of bubble kids being passed up by other bubble kids due to their connections. Fact of the matter is the presidents kid and vice presidents kid probably don\'t belong there, but your kid doesn\'t either !

and while we reflect, ever think that maybe a team didn\'t want your kid and took someone else because that kids parents just sit back and don\'t complain and you are annoying ?
Been there, done that. Yes, it did feel good to watch my kid earn his spot. My kid is living that feeling every day now and can look back on the years with pride. He overcame that. But the point is, he shouldn't have to. Ostensibly, we parents control town hockey and should see that the connected kid who's on a higher team than his skill would indicate is actually being harmed when he's put on a team over his head: his self-esteem suffers by being the worst kid on the team and his peers all talk badly about him behind his back (I drive the carpool sometimes and I hear it first-hand). So why do we keep doing it? If town hockey really doesn't matter, then let connected kid play wherever he plays, right? No. Fact of the matter is that there's prestige associated with playing on the better team and connected kid's parents want that. So they buddy up with whomever it takes and voila, their kid makes the better team and another deserving kid doesn't, but hey, what's it really matter because they all wind up in beer league, right?! Suck it kid, that's the way the world works.

Anon
Anon

Trust me on this, nothing better than your kid being able to make a team he tries out on and not have to go searching for reasons why he didn\\\'t make it instead of looking in the mirror.

And lastly, lets us not pretend that this is the case or cases of superstar kids being passed up by benders. This is a case of bubble kids being passed up by other bubble kids due to their connections. Fact of the matter is the presidents kid and vice presidents kid probably don\\\'t belong there, but your kid doesn\\\'t either !

and while we reflect, ever think that maybe a team didn\\\'t want your kid and took someone else because that kids parents just sit back and don\\\'t complain and you are annoying ?
Been there, done that. Yes, it did feel good to watch my kid earn his spot. My kid is living that feeling every day now and can look back on the years with pride. He overcame that. But the point is, he shouldn't have to. Ostensibly, we parents control town hockey and should see that the connected kid who's on a higher team than his skill would indicate is actually being harmed when he's put on a team over his head: his self-esteem suffers by being the worst kid on the team and his peers all talk badly about him behind his back (I drive the carpool sometimes and I hear it first-hand). So why do we keep doing it? If town hockey really doesn't matter, then let connected kid play wherever he plays, right? No. Fact of the matter is that there's prestige associated with playing on the better team and connected kid's parents want that. So they buddy up with whomever it takes and voila, their kid makes the better team and another deserving kid doesn't, but hey, what's it really matter because they all wind up in beer league, right?! Suck it kid, that's the way the world works.
...except the kids who usually get this benefit lack self-awareness. They feel they belong on that team and unless someone actually tells them to their face, which almost never happens, they remain blissfully unaware.

As others have noted reality usually makes its appearance during high school tryouts.

Anon
Anon
Anon

Trust me on this, nothing better than your kid being able to make a team he tries out on and not have to go searching for reasons why he didn\\\\\\\'t make it instead of looking in the mirror.

And lastly, lets us not pretend that this is the case or cases of superstar kids being passed up by benders. This is a case of bubble kids being passed up by other bubble kids due to their connections. Fact of the matter is the presidents kid and vice presidents kid probably don\\\\\\\'t belong there, but your kid doesn\\\\\\\'t either !

and while we reflect, ever think that maybe a team didn\\\\\\\'t want your kid and took someone else because that kids parents just sit back and don\\\\\\\'t complain and you are annoying ?
Been there, done that. Yes, it did feel good to watch my kid earn his spot. My kid is living that feeling every day now and can look back on the years with pride. He overcame that. But the point is, he shouldn\'t have to. Ostensibly, we parents control town hockey and should see that the connected kid who\'s on a higher team than his skill would indicate is actually being harmed when he\'s put on a team over his head: his self-esteem suffers by being the worst kid on the team and his peers all talk badly about him behind his back (I drive the carpool sometimes and I hear it first-hand). So why do we keep doing it? If town hockey really doesn\'t matter, then let connected kid play wherever he plays, right? No. Fact of the matter is that there\'s prestige associated with playing on the better team and connected kid\'s parents want that. So they buddy up with whomever it takes and voila, their kid makes the better team and another deserving kid doesn\'t, but hey, what\'s it really matter because they all wind up in beer league, right?! Suck it kid, that\'s the way the world works.
...except the kids who usually get this benefit lack self-awareness. They feel they belong on that team and unless someone actually tells them to their face, which almost never happens, they remain blissfully unaware.

As others have noted reality usually makes its appearance during high school tryouts.
Or when they feel they have been playing town A for the past six or seven years and figured it was time to make the jump to club only to find that you were the worst player on the ice along with 45 other kids at evals recently ! Then parents get it and get embarrassed at what they have done and are shocked and realize that having there kid play where they did was a complete joke and meant nothing..

So guess what ? Playing on that B team is means nothing right now too, work hard this summer, this coming season, and crack that A shift roster or Elite roster next year bud ! Sometimes, and you will see this as your kid gets older, making that B team is sometimes the best thing that will happen in their youth career, motivates them to work harder and never want to be on that type of team again. BUT, if we keep making excuses for the kids and telling them that they didn't make it because of politics then they have no motivation to get better because they feel they are already there and were shut out because of connections.

The politics will always be there, but lets stop pretending they are blackballing great players to take their buddies, like the poster said. They are taking one B player over another B player because of connections.

Anon
Anon
Anon
Anon

Trust me on this, nothing better than your kid being able to make a team he tries out on and not have to go searching for reasons why he didn\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\'t make it instead of looking in the mirror.

And lastly, lets us not pretend that this is the case or cases of superstar kids being passed up by benders. This is a case of bubble kids being passed up by other bubble kids due to their connections. Fact of the matter is the presidents kid and vice presidents kid probably don\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\'t belong there, but your kid doesn\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\'t either !

and while we reflect, ever think that maybe a team didn\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\'t want your kid and took someone else because that kids parents just sit back and don\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\'t complain and you are annoying ?
Been there, done that. Yes, it did feel good to watch my kid earn his spot. My kid is living that feeling every day now and can look back on the years with pride. He overcame that. But the point is, he shouldn\\\'t have to. Ostensibly, we parents control town hockey and should see that the connected kid who\\\'s on a higher team than his skill would indicate is actually being harmed when he\\\'s put on a team over his head: his self-esteem suffers by being the worst kid on the team and his peers all talk badly about him behind his back (I drive the carpool sometimes and I hear it first-hand). So why do we keep doing it? If town hockey really doesn\\\'t matter, then let connected kid play wherever he plays, right? No. Fact of the matter is that there\\\'s prestige associated with playing on the better team and connected kid\\\'s parents want that. So they buddy up with whomever it takes and voila, their kid makes the better team and another deserving kid doesn\\\'t, but hey, what\\\'s it really matter because they all wind up in beer league, right?! Suck it kid, that\\\'s the way the world works.

Or when they feel they have been playing town A for the past six or seven years and figured it was time to make the jump to club only to find that you were the worst player on the ice along with 45 other kids at evals recently ! Then parents get it and get embarrassed at what they have done and are shocked and realize that having there kid play where they did was a complete joke and meant nothing..

So guess what ? Playing on that B team is means nothing right now too, work hard this summer, this coming season, and crack that A shift roster or Elite roster next year bud ! Sometimes, and you will see this as your kid gets older, making that B team is sometimes the best thing that will happen in their youth career, motivates them to work harder and never want to be on that type of team again. BUT, if we keep making excuses for the kids and telling them that they didn't make it because of politics then they have no motivation to get better because they feel they are already there and were shut out because of connections.

The politics will always be there, but lets stop pretending they are blackballing great players to take their buddies, like the poster said. They are taking one B player over another B player because of connections.

well, that's not what i've seen. A Town A kid who can't crack a club team usually brings more excuses. "There were no spots open, he had an off-day, etc., etc."

High School is the come-to-Jesus moment. If you can't get on a club team you go back to Town A. If you can't get on the high school team your youth hockey experience has come to an end.

If the WYH is that poorly run, why does anyone stay? You do realize you don't have to play for your local organization? Find one that you think is run better, less political, easier to get to, whatever. When my kids did play town, they played three towns over and it was never an issue.

My kids Tier 1 Black team has beaten our Elite team in most of our scrimmages. It’s gotten to the point where they won’t pick their tournaments till after we do so they don’t end up having to play us. The Elite team is all the coaches kids and their buddies kids, with a few truly top end players who get dragged down by the rest. Asst coaches kid is the goalie and he makes sure he’s the only goalie on the top team. Problem is he isn’t the top goalie in his birth year in our organization.

Re: weymouth youth hockey in it for themselves

That's a great question. Why would anyone play for WYH? In fact more kids have come back to WYH from club teams this year than in any year in the past 5. Why would they do that if it's so corrupt & unfair to non insiders kids?
Maybe this whole thread was created by one or two disgruntled parents who can't handle that their kid was placed where they belong. So rather than look for ways to improve their child's skills they immediately went on the attack anonymously on the dboard.
It's an important life lesson to learn. If you don't get your way, immediately kick & scream as loud as possible. You'll usually get your way and your child will be a better person for it...

We are town hockey as well and are seeing our numbers grow a bit as more kids seem to be coming back than are leaving. A fair amount of kids that make our B teams leave as the parents feel there kid should have made A. Then a bunch of them come back the next year. Club hockey is no joke. Your at the bottom of that roster than your playing time is effected much much more than in Town.

Enjoy the offseason - If you get one. lol

Anon
We are town hockey as well and are seeing our numbers grow a bit as more kids seem to be coming back than are leaving. A fair amount of kids that make our B teams leave as the parents feel there kid should have made A. Then a bunch of them come back the next year. Club hockey is no joke. Your at the bottom of that roster than your playing time is effected much much more than in Town.

That's likely because those town B players left for teams in the EHF Silver, EMHL, or BHL National or crappy low end select orgs. Once they realize that those teams are run by similar dad coaches as the town program and these dad coaches can now short shift their kid and bury them on the 3rd line in favor of the coaches bender, they realize that neither the coaching, competition, nor "development" is any different than what they get on their Town B team. Just twice the cost and twice the travel.

it seems in all town youth athletics, whether it be hockey, lacrosse, baseball, soccer etc., the board members are involved for the wrong reasons. I know in our city the OBN who runs baseball have had a stronghold on the program since I was a kid. Basically a board member has to die before they would ever consider appointing someone new or younger to the board.(I'm 52 now and I played for most of them many years ago when they coached).

Anon
Anon

That's likely because those town B players left for teams in the EHF Silver, EMHL, or BHL National or crappy low end select orgs. Once they realize that those teams are run by similar dad coaches as the town program and these dad coaches can now short shift their kid and bury them on the 3rd line in favor of the coaches bender, they realize that neither the coaching, competition, nor "development" is any different than what they get on their Town B team. Just twice the cost and twice the travel.
Yup.

Kids and parents get used to the "roll the lines" philosophy of town hockey only to be rudely awakened by the reality of select hockey where there are no such guarantees. If your kid is one of those buried on the bench I would imagine the extra money you're paying might be a sore spot. I've seen people come back to town exactly because of that.

They come back because they are close to High School no credit to the so called new and improved board.Watch closely when all the A players are cut from the High School team because the ride is over. What kind of lesson is that. Good luck explaining to your kid you have no pull at the High School level.